Author Topic: Kero Claw Alternative  (Read 11284 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Kero Claw Alternative
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:52:37 pm »
The standard pilot loadout is kero claw and hydro. Having both kero and claw is required for many ships which leaves little room for experimentation with the other tools- some of which are rarely used. This yet unnamed pilot tool would serve as a situational alternative to the kero claw combo.

The benefit would be using it both to go faster and turn quicker albeit with side effects. The goal is a tool that is less effective than claw and slightly less effective than kero. The most obvious side effect is higher damage. Drag modifiers can be used to balance and lingering effects could also be an added penalty if necessary.

For example, 20 damage per second as compared to 10 from kero and 13 from claw. It should have around the same thrust bonus as kero but the extra damage will reduce effective thrust and require more maintenance.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:02:40 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Kero Claw Alternative
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »
I'm thinking...

x00% Engine Thrust
No Increase or Decrease in Drag
xx damage per second to the engines
Perhaps even x damage per second to hull/balloon.

A tool that gives everything the ship can give... I want it tested.

But ever since I stopped piloting Pyramidion, I've not used claw that much. Sometimes on Spire, but almost no other time.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 01:11:40 pm »
Its hard to come up with a name for your new item because it's a combination of Phoenix Claw and Kerosene... and nobody knows how the Fudge Phoenix Claw is supposed to actually work to make anything turn faster...

Maybe we call this new item Axel Grease? Axel Grease isn't bad for your engines though.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 01:13:58 pm »
I'm thinking...

x00% Engine Thrust

But ever since I stopped piloting Pyramidion, I've not used claw that much. Sometimes on Spire, but almost no other time.

True, usually the best combo for the Squid is Chute Vent, Hydrogen, and Kerosene; it turns fast enough by itself. By the way - how much time do you spend in the GoI workshop?

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »
I'm thinking...

x00% Engine Thrust

True, usually the best combo for the Squid is Chute Vent, Hydrogen, and Kerosene; it turns fast enough by itself. By the way - how much time do you spend in the GoI workshop?

I beg to differ. As someone who frequently pilots a squid, I can say that I've used that loadout for a while but both Tar and Claw are a very healthy alternative. Infact, for a while now I've been using tar-kero-claw and it works out pretty darn okay, especially with a buffed balloon. Kero is the only tool you geniunely need, otherwise I find Chute-Hydro to only be reaaaally necessary against ships that require good altitude positioning to kill (Mobula, Spire, Galleon etc.) While Tar is more of a necessity when fighting Fishes and other Squids, much less so against pyras but still effective. Claw may be more situational to some extent, but it's  still excellent for brawling and allows you to use kero more agressively while toning down the consequences you get from low engine hp.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 02:16:54 pm »
You youngins don't remember, this is actually how Kerosene initially functioned. I honestly liked it. My junker would bring kero, tar barrel, and hydrogen. If its less effective than both though you probably don't need the two x damage.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:55:37 pm »
Quote from: Sammy B. T.
If its less effective than both though you probably don't need the two x damage.

If it gave the full thrust of kero and say 75% of claw, 20 dps sounds fair to me. The ability to carry an extra pilot tool is a big bonus.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:59:05 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 03:47:28 pm »
Quote from: Sammy B. T.
If its less effective than both though you probably don't need the two x damage.

If it gave the full thrust of kero and say 75% of claw, 20 dps sounds fair to me. The ability to carry an extra pilot tool is a big bonus.

inb4 This tool-drouge-hydro is the new mobula meta and daniel screams against it for how misunderstood the mobula is

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 04:29:40 pm »
We need an item that is an exact combination of Hydrogen and Chute Vent all in one tool.  ;)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 04:40:53 pm »
You youngins don't remember, this is actually how Kerosene initially functioned. I honestly liked it. My junker would bring kero, tar barrel, and hydrogen. If its less effective than both though you probably don't need the two x damage.

I remember those days. It was awesome. Specially cause I rarely if ever use claw. I can never justify turning faster over needing chute. Frankly imo, pilots who rely solely on claw too much, tend to be bad at evasion. Their first thought is to rely on claw to turn the ship, not change positioning to counter a foe. I've seen these pilots sit there trying to turn a full 180 when all they need to do is do a full reverse kero or a combination of hydro or chute.

Course none of that matters now if you're a Pyra pilot. Ships just fold up like used teepee. Caught so many recently trying to turn or counter. Not even half a clip of mortar shells and they are gone. No way a crew can get the armor back up in time. If all 4 were beating on it, maybe, but there is very little time for that.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 04:49:10 pm »

I remember those days. It was awesome. Specially cause I rarely if ever use claw. I can never justify turning faster over needing chute. Frankly imo, pilots who rely solely on claw too much, tend to be bad at evasion. Their first thought is to rely on claw to turn the ship, not change positioning to counter a foe. I've seen these pilots sit there trying to turn a full 180 when all they need to do is do a full reverse kero or a combination of hydro or chute.

Course none of that matters now if you're a Pyra pilot. Ships just fold up like used teepee. Caught so many recently trying to turn or counter. Not even half a clip of mortar shells and they are gone. No way a crew can get the armor back up in time. If all 4 were beating on it, maybe, but there is very little time for that.

Very true, that nerf really didn't do much to hurt the Pyra's reputation.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 05:17:02 pm »
Going by kero moonshine model.

it could be a harder or softer version of claw.

(though frankly I trained with each ship without tool use at all, so the necessity of claw is very limited for like 1-3 ships depending on build).

Or an extreme alternative where a ship part is destroyed to do an extreme action? Like pheonix fire. Blows up an engine to do a very sudden turn as it forces the engine to completely go beyond its intended safety limits and outright destroys it.

And this tool has a cool down for next use (seriously wondering why I'm the only dude thinking up more original ideas).

With that on in mind. With stamina, could use it to by-pass cool down of tool use.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 07:34:35 pm »
Quote from: MightyKeb
inb4 This tool-drouge-hydro is the new mobula meta and daniel screams against it for how misunderstood the mobula is

I would still use kero on mobula most of the time because it allows higher endurance. Unless you expect to be close range kero seems the better choice on mob. Mobulas don't lack turning speed, they lack turn acceleration.

If you are planning on close range against maneuverable opponents then the tool might work but mobula engines are vulnerable to damage. The spread out nature means low engine endurance, which isn't a problem with the low damage of kero.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 05:04:32 am »
Honestly if Stamina gets added it'll solve all of this right away. However, you'll likely want it on all the time like I do.

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:53:36 am »
Quote from: MightyKeb

I would still use kero on mobula most of the time because it allows higher endurance. Unless you expect to be close range kero seems the better choice on mob. Mobulas don't lack turning speed, they lack turn acceleration.