Author Topic: One thing  (Read 24651 times)

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: One thing
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 11:45:44 am »
turning could be a mechanical thing, but we see no cranks for that, so i'd think theres some electric power invloved

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 11:56:50 am »
maybe something like this could give the feeling of a part being exclusively mechanical. Description is nice too

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 12:19:23 pm »
Gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww...

Maybe not.

Offline MagKel

• [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 12:37:35 pm »
Gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww, gurr-paawwww...

Maybe not.

oh well it is not easy to find exclusively mechanical devices, almost every rotary motor is powered by electricity if we exclude ground transportation

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 01:04:03 pm »
The sound is fine, it's just that repeated gurr-paawwwws would make a gunner go deaf.

Offline MagKel

• [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 01:30:30 pm »
The sound is fine, it's just that repeated gurr-paawwwws would make a gunner go deaf.

I was looking for a noise of groaning gears when the weapon is broken in opposition to the electrical fizz we have today

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 01:40:03 pm »
Oh, wait, that's... that's actually quite genius! An unpleasant break sound would be a huge incentive to fix the gun!

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 02:49:08 pm »
I always thought some guns had electrical power.

Gun reloading requires energy and this can be achieved essentially in two ways: storing the energy accumulated during the combustion of the cartridge or by an external source. Some guns in GOIO (involving bullets and discharge gases) could automatically reload by storing the excess energy produced in the event of firing but for others (rockets mostly) it is simply impossible hence an external energy source is necessary.

the second argument in favor of electrically powered guns is tilting. Lumberjack easily weights an excess of 4 metric tons, ignoring the automatic feeding mechanism and ammo storage. Same goes for any other heavy gun. In order to tilt it with such precision and speed an external power source other that muscle is required. the gunner sits on a chair, not actively participating in tilting other that providing an analogical input which is then transferred to servomotors that provide 2-axis movement. While this could be achieved through a chemical engine and steam pistons, none is to be seen on the actual gun. Instead arotary servo motor is visible at the base of the gun and on the vertical joint, provinding the aforementioned two axis tilt.   A linear actuator control box is seen between the two, right next to the gunner's position with reinforced cables jutting out.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 02:51:32 pm »

I was looking for a noise of groaning gears when the weapon is broken in opposition to the electrical fizz we have today

And it was a great sound, also on an update Howard forwarded some feedback from this thread to Tim, so hopefully it'll be in a patch one day :)

Offline MagKel

• [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 04:08:24 pm »
I always thought some guns had electrical power.

Gun reloading requires energy and this can be achieved essentially in two ways: storing the energy accumulated during the combustion of the cartridge or by an external source. Some guns in GOIO (involving bullets and discharge gases) could automatically reload by storing the excess energy produced in the event of firing but for others (rockets mostly) it is simply impossible hence an external energy source is necessary.

the second argument in favor of electrically powered guns is tilting. Lumberjack easily weights an excess of 4 metric tons, ignoring the automatic feeding mechanism and ammo storage. Same goes for any other heavy gun. In order to tilt it with such precision and speed an external power source other that muscle is required. the gunner sits on a chair, not actively participating in tilting other that providing an analogical input which is then transferred to servomotors that provide 2-axis movement. While this could be achieved through a chemical engine and steam pistons, none is to be seen on the actual gun. Instead arotary servo motor is visible at the base of the gun and on the vertical joint, provinding the aforementioned two axis tilt.   A linear actuator control box is seen between the two, right next to the gunner's position with reinforced cables jutting out.

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 06:36:58 pm »
I'd like to point something out.

This gear seems to be spun by the main propeller, and under it is an enclosed compartment. either that's what you're looking for or I have a serious lack of mechanical knowledge.

EDIT: After looking at this picture for a few minutes I see that it is actually not connected to the propeller at all. However, the gear is still significant (I would say).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:38:46 pm by Riggatto »

Offline MagKel

• [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 08:41:07 pm »
I'd like to point something out.

This gear seems to be spun by the main propeller, and under it is an enclosed compartment. either that's what you're looking for or I have a serious lack of mechanical knowledge.

EDIT: After looking at this picture for a few minutes I see that it is actually not connected to the propeller at all. However, the gear is still significant (I would say).

hey that is the Black Guy!

Offline PixelatedVolume

• Salutes: 2
    • [PIEπ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 10:21:45 pm »
Also, the Gatling gun.  It's not hand -cranked and it even makes an electric whine when fired. 

But there are guns that don't need external electric power, like flaks, Mercury, carronade, mortar, flare... A lot of light guns, in fact.  The Artemis and Banshee probably use magnetos.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 10:25:41 pm »
STEAMPUNK MAGIC SCIENCE

Offline The Churrosaur

• Salutes: 12
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 08:40:59 pm »

Also, the Gatling gun.  It's not hand -cranked and it even makes an electric whine when fired. 

What always bothered my is why it wouldn't be more efficient to use, say, a blowback machine gun given the technology we have available.

Anyways, I always assumed that the guns were mostly hydraulic with exemptions of things like the hwatcha or gatling where you can clearly hear servos whining. Not a particular fan of the sparking particle effect, but it works gameplay-wise.