Author Topic: Extinguisher Buff  (Read 26512 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Extinguisher Buff
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 02:44:12 am »
this is a flawed way of thinking about game balance. the extinguisher and chem spray should be right around equal, with the advantage of using either one dictated by the composition of the teams in the game.  one should not be thought of as training wheels for the other.

My opinion is that chem spray should be better when done right because it requires more skill. The extinguisher should be made viable enough for use in pub matches like spire bottom or goldfish top.  At least one chem per ship should still be necessary for most pub matches.

I think that cooldown should be reduced and immunity increased. 2-3 second cooldown with 5-8 second immunity. I don't think that removing cooldown is the right choice because it would change the game. The solution needs to be simple and balanced. But then banshees would be useless.

If the extinguisher had 9 sec immunity I would take back everything I've said about flamer OP. What a balanced gun it would be.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:10:14 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 03:08:39 pm »
Asked about it on the DevChat and no one seems to see the need for buff.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 03:09:10 pm »
Asked about it on the DevChat and no one seems to see the need for buff.

Yet they think the Pyra needs a nerf...

GG devs bad at their own game

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 04:17:12 pm »
@up, Good point, it's exactly the same case

I e-mailed them and also linked the thread. I hope I can convince them to at least decrease the cooldown by a second or two.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 07:00:24 pm »
I've got pretty ordinary answer, but Howard wrote that he personally agrees, although he is not sure what the decision will be.

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 02:26:49 am »
It might be interesting if it only invoked a one-second cooldown on components, but the extinguisher itself had a three-second cooldown.

Or maybe if it reduced ignition chance on components by 25% for 20 seconds instead of a 3-second fireproofing, but only on components not already on fire?

I dunno, those are probably dumb ideas I came up with.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:29:39 am by MidnightWonko »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 02:42:55 am »
Return the game back to 1.1 where Chem only reduced the chance of fire and leave extinguish the same. Then you'll solve this problem once and for all. No more of this silly chem meta.

That time period was the only time in the history of the game where you actually wanted both chem and extinguish on ships. Lot of people demanded extinguish but I remember a lot of captains insisting on at least 1 chem to help protect the ship. But it wasn't the end all solution. Fire could still get out of hand if you let it.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 02:47:12 am »
Is there a Gilder drinking game yet? If so, there needs to be a "take a shot everytime Gilder mentions 1.1/1.2" rule added

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 03:08:54 am »
Is there a Gilder drinking game yet? If so, there needs to be a "take a shot everytime Gilder mentions 1.1/1.2" rule added

Not my fault a lot of the problems we complain about today were introduced by Muse in 1.2. That and much of the playerbase from then left already so all we got are a bunch of scrubs who have no clue how good things were. If I don't speak it, this game would be Turrets of Icarus and only a bunch of old men with hard ons for stationary combat would be those having any enjoyment in GOIO.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 09:40:41 am »
ok surely this thread is about an extinguisher that buffs.

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »
ok surely this thread is about an extinguisher that buffs.
Agree. Thread title may be misleading. Someone fix that plz

Does the Extinguisher need a buff? No, I don't think so. I don't think that would help in any way to force people to use extinguisher. Experienced engineers always will prefer chem over it. Chem cycles are part of the game, where the real skills count.

Buffs like ability to extinguish while on cooldown are for me completely ridiculous, because they will break current meta and make chem useless.

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 05:40:33 pm »
I think for engineers it's less of a question of "do I need chem spray," and more of a question of "can I get away with taking extinguisher instead?"

Off-hand, the weapons I look for to answer that question are flamer, banshee, and... uh...I think that's it?  Oh yeah, Hades.  And also gunners who are crazy enough to take incendiary rounds.  I mean, hwacha can start fires, though it normally just explodes everything.  Artemis can also start fires, but not very commonly.  Flare gun always starts tons of fires, but extinguisher serves as a reactionary counter nearly as effectively as when chem spray is used protectively.

Weapons designed to actually start fires are just so popular, though, that at least one chem spray is almost always needed, and two is just way the hell safer.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 07:58:13 pm »
How thread title is misleading? Buff is the anthonym of the word 'nerf'.

Nobody wants to "force" extinguisher onto anyone. I'd rather want extinguisher to be perhaps a second but still reasonable choice. Now vast majority of veterans say that chem is a must. Go chem or go home. Or at least to see builds 1 chem + 1 ext more viable.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 10:15:22 pm »
Or at least to see builds 1 chem + 1 ext more viable.

That's the intention. The extinguisher is the default tool but has no use against the main source of fires (flame).

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 05:29:52 am »
Or at least to see builds 1 chem + 1 ext more viable.

That's the intention. The extinguisher is the default tool but has no use against the main source of fires (flame).

As I've said earlier, compared to chem the current extinguisher is meant for dealing with two damage types. Like say, exting the hull and malleting it before the gatling takes down your armor. Unfortunately that is very situational.

And I'll state my ext buff proposal again: Adjust the cooldown and fire immunity time to the point where you can whack a component with the pipe after an extinguish and the immunity would wear off by then. 3 second cooldown and 8 second immunity was my previous suggestion, but now I'm thinking 1 second cooldown and 6 second immunity. You can effectively keep somewhere like the pyra's main deck up forever, it's just that you would have to prioritize and tie yourself to a select few systems and you would need the pipe wrench to pull it off. ( which synergizes with the buff engi, adding a powerful option to their meta and effectively making 1 ext 1 chem viable)

It also makes ext more viable at what it was seemingly intended for: dealing with fire and normal damage at once effectively mid combat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:31:50 am by MightyKeb »