Author Topic: Trains?  (Read 47318 times)

Offline Chaodiurn

• Salutes: 1
    • [YAAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Trains?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 12:15:43 pm »
I wonder whether there are signs of trains in GoI? Unless, of course, GoI and GoIO are separated worlds, a fact that I then would somehow have missed to notice.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:40 pm »
I wonder whether there are signs of trains in GoI? Unless, of course, GoI and GoIO are separated worlds, a fact that I then would somehow have missed to notice.

A few maps do have broken train tracks. :)
So evidence suggests they did exist, but I'm unsure if they're still in use in the world, I've not seen a functional track

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 12:29:59 pm »

A few maps do have broken train tracks. :)
So evidence suggests they did exist, but I'm unsure if they're still in use in the world, I've not seen a functional track

I can't imagine trains going away.
After all Trains were one of the main creations of steampunk technology.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:21 pm »
Steam tech in general, actually.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 10:43:19 pm »
well trains are one of the most iconic real life examples of steam tech

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 10:31:50 am »
There are some benefits of using trains over airships. First, crawling on land is usually more fuel efficient than soaring throughout the air. Second, trains can make long, extended journeys that airships cannot. Third, trains can carry more loads than an airship.

Even if all train tracks were inoperable, factions would be repairing them. There should be trains transporting valuable resources from mines to manufacturing centers (Airships would't be able to transport much at a time).

Also, our Skirmish Airships are not outfitted for long flights (no sleeping quarters, food storage, and restrooms). Extended campaigns would rely on Giant Air Behemoths or Train Airship-Carriers. Several Airships could be mobilized near places of conflict on board these trains.

So.. Muse... Trains?
(Can someone ask for me on the fireside chat and tell me their response? I can't make it due to being-in-school).

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 02:08:18 pm »
There are some benefits of using trains over airships. First, crawling on land is usually more fuel efficient than soaring throughout the air. Second, trains can make long, extended journeys that airships cannot. Third, trains can carry more loads than an airship.

Even if all train tracks were inoperable, factions would be repairing them. There should be trains transporting valuable resources from mines to manufacturing centers (Airships would't be able to transport much at a time).

Also, our Skirmish Airships are not outfitted for long flights (no sleeping quarters, food storage, and restrooms). Extended campaigns would rely on Giant Air Behemoths or Train Airship-Carriers. Several Airships could be mobilized near places of conflict on board these trains.

So.. Muse... Trains?
(Can someone ask for me on the fireside chat and tell me their response? I can't make it due to being-in-school).

I'm sure you could stuff 10 trains on an airship and it would be fine. The balloons in this game have some serious magic shit lifting them.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 03:59:42 pm »
Wait, a lot of the balloons are spherical.

Kirby-powered flight???

Perhaps.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 04:15:12 pm »
Wait, a lot of the balloons are spherical.

Kirby-powered flight???

Perhaps.

get in the balloon

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 04:16:46 pm »
No. I don't wanna be shaped like a football.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2015, 08:11:38 pm »
Get in one of the Galleon Balloons than.  :P

But think, aircraft carrier that is a train and carries airships. Must be high up there on steampunk technology epitome.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »
thats like the ferrari of steampunk, (you know what i mean, its fancy)

Offline PixelatedVolume

• Salutes: 2
    • [PIEπ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2015, 10:15:39 pm »
Deserts are hell on metal.  It's possible that the airships have an advantage in the transportation business because they don't have to worry about maintaining GIGANTIC lengths of track in the middle of nowhere.

Also a train can't really fight well.  It's stuck on tracks which limit movement and are easily sabotaged when someone isn't watching.  I understand the idea of putting flak cannons or machine guns on a train to defend it (from those obnoxious airship bombers, perhaps) but a war-train for offense alone seems a little pointless.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2015, 10:21:28 pm »
Yeah, freedom of movement is an airship's key advantage. And, airships are actually very fuel-efficient, as they don't need power to stay aloft, just lifting gas.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2015, 11:34:02 pm »
Deserts are hell on metal.  It's possible that the airships have an advantage in the transportation business because they don't have to worry about maintaining GIGANTIC lengths of track in the middle of nowhere.

Also a train can't really fight well.  It's stuck on tracks which limit movement and are easily sabotaged when someone isn't watching.  I understand the idea of putting flak cannons or machine guns on a train to defend it (from those obnoxious airship bombers, perhaps) but a war-train for offense alone seems a little pointless.

What about ground forces?  And what if it was a mine train that lays it's own tracks?