Author Topic: New guns  (Read 57586 times)

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Re: New guns
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 09:15:17 am »
Tell you what, I'll put up an alt picture when I get around to modeling it.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:58 am »
Awesome :)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 10:00:57 am »

fuel tanks look incorrect.

the hells the point of revolving barrels when you can just fill the space with 2 gas tanks. I want this gun to have 2 hit boxes where shooting the fuel tank will destroy it and cause fire damage to the whole ship.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 12:13:59 pm »

the hells the point of revolving barrels when you can just fill the space with 2 gas tanks. I want this gun to have 2 hit boxes where shooting the fuel tank will destroy it and cause fire damage to the whole ship.

Erm....
The hells the point is that the gun is less prone to mass disable like you suggested in your inferior flame thrower weapon?
Why have giant fuel tanks if they are so easily subject to explosion?
#safetyfirsteveninwar
 8)

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2015, 01:27:36 pm »
I could imagine a bull fish in a 4 v 4 or maybe a 3 v 3 where it's inability to do decent damage wouldn't be much of an issue so it can afford to go support instead.  Still a hard call IMO; killing things is a more effective way of ensuring they can't fight back.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:47 pm »

Erm....
The hells the point is that the gun is less prone to mass disable like you suggested in your inferior flame thrower weapon?
#safetyfirsteveninwar
 8)

Those aren't actually fuel tanks, they're big boxes of napalm kegs (see RP Tavern thread for more information) that can either have their contents sprayed out or you can just launch the keg altogether, something to do with Lochnagar Shot or Heavy Clip.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2015, 04:10:18 pm »
I just thought it was because it is easier to load small barrels than it is to load giant kegs. More realistic that way.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2015, 04:56:04 pm »

Erm....
#safetyfirsteveninwar
 8)

Those aren't actually fuel tanks, they're big boxes of napalm kegs (see RP Tavern thread for more information) that can either have their contents sprayed out or you can just launch the keg altogether, something to do with Lochnagar Shot or Heavy Clip.

Hey. I'm just referencing a real world problem about flamers.

Back in 'nam the biggest flaw of a flamethrower was their fuel tanks kept getting shot and anyone near them turned extra crispy.
Hence no one ever got near the flamer guy.

Also... napalm kegs? thats dumb. Why lose fuel potential by putting the napalm in tiny kegs, as opposed to giant fuel tanks that won;t run out until there is no gas.

Thats a good idea there. The gun only has one huuuuuuge clip. once its out its gone until you respawn. tho that might prove a problem in regards to ammo...

*meh could just be an ungodly long reload.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 10:23:57 pm »
As I said,

SEE RP TAVERN THREAD FOR MORE INFORMATON

The kegs could also be there to help balance it by only letting it fire in short bursts. Trust me, it makes sense when you read the RP thread. However, to simplify, I'll explain here.

We found some kegs of Hellfire in the cellar. I tried to recreate it but tweaked the recipe and somehow ended up with napalm. I saw some potential and decided to cobble something together out of a Hwacha and a pair of mine launchers. I kept making napalm by the keg, as the kegs just happened to be the same size as mines.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:29:09 pm by Koali »

Offline Toasty McSlug Nugget

• Salutes: 0
    • [SREP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2015, 11:00:21 pm »
Kronos Heavy Flamethrower:
Like the Dragon Tongue but with longer reload time, increased fire rate, smaller clip, and will push/turn your ship in the opposite direction as it fires.

The Minotaur can move the enemy ship, but I think we need a new gun that can move your own ship when you fire it.
It would be like a flamethrower hwacha and could primarily be balanced against the hwacha.

I think the idea behind heavy guns is that they try to reward skill more than light guns, so:

Be careful to avoid pushing yourself out of range by shooting it too early.
Fire it when your target is most vulnerable to a fire attack; quickly adding tons of fire stacks to things won't contribute if those things are about to break anyway, have been chemsprayed/heatsunk, or have already been broken (especially if they are about to be repaired). Firing too much of it at the wrong time is a wasted clip and a long reload. So while in some ways it is just a more powerful flamethrower, it has certain drawbacks that the flamethrower does not. The light flak and the heavy flak have a similar relationship.

Tartarus Light Grenade Launcher:
1 shot clip, decent muzzle speed, 900 meter range, 10 shell drop, Primary shatter (50), secondary flachette (270), 5 second arming time, 120 meter AOE

It if hits them (even before its arming time) it will deal primary damage first, and its secondary damage will delay and go off once its arming time ends. It can basically stick to them, and so the arming time isn't much of a disadvantage.. Unless they get too close to your ship so that the grenade hurts your balloon too! Or unless they skillfully use that time to prepare for the balloon damage!

It's an easier, immensely weaker lumberjack that is bad at close range for a different reason but opens up new strategies for the light ships. It's also more heavily dependent on special ammunition than the lumberjack, since it suffers no negative effects from using charged or lesmok and is balanced with these in mind.

Having it use flachette buckshots would be cool, but possibily difficult because they would have to originate at a strange location instead of from the gun itself.

I didn't talk about angles because I don't think either of these would have profound ones.

They should have better names too, I didn't put much thought into these.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:20:52 pm by Toasty McSlug Nugget »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2015, 11:17:03 pm »
Like the Dragon Tongue but with longer reload time, increased fire rate, smaller clip, and will push/turn your ship in the opposite direction as it fires.

Woah hoho Holy shit i can imagine the galleon putting two of those on the right side. The captain says FIRE and the galleon STRAFES torwards their target!
Would be op as hell.

Offline Toasty McSlug Nugget

• Salutes: 0
    • [SREP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2015, 11:41:06 pm »

Woah hoho Holy shit i can imagine the galleon putting two of those on the right side. The captain says FIRE and the galleon STRAFES torwards their target!
Would be op as hell.

That is the idea :D I don't think it's OP though. I think the galleon really needs a slight buff, and being able to strafe a hundred meters once in a while by occupying two crewmembers for 4 seconds wouldn't be OP. Having two people do that to get closer to an enemy (who would typically be firing at them) while they could be repairing and firing other guns could be a tough tactical decision.

At least I can't see any situations where it would be overpowering for a galleon to be able to do that.

It would look really cool and would be really fun for their crew too, and with the right coordination it could be used for interesting dogfight maneuvers, like for flying under a blenderfish to avoid its guns as it's sinking you.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:53:19 pm by Toasty McSlug Nugget »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2015, 12:04:33 am »
Raming, simply moving, in a strafing manner. It is basicaly a tanky wall of doom getting closer and closer. There is a reason why to move close to the enemy, you ahve to turn to go for them.
But then again, there could be the question of how strong this really propels the ship.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2015, 04:06:08 am »
I think the best buff we can give to the galleon would just be more Heavy guns. In the dev app you mostly saw people donning their Minotaurs on their galleon because it wasn't exactly a self sufficient weapon unlike Hwacha and Carronade. And I still think Mino is fairly effective even after the nerf.

We need heavy guns that make the Galleon more similiar to the other ships. Heavy Hades with reverse arming time? Heavy sniper rifle with piercing?  Or even Heavy Banshee as a substitute for Flamer.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2015, 03:28:28 pm »
Impact hammer.

http://unreal.wikia.com/wiki/Impact_Hammer

A pneumatic hammer that fires off huge impact dmg upon contact of an enemy ship.
The very first auto firing gun.

It has carronade reload time and can be mounted by players to change out ammo types. It has only one arc, cannot be fired by players.

But the impact not only does massive dmg (added with ram from the ship that has it), but it instantly pushes the ship automatically 50m in the direct the hammer fires.

It has a localised AOE that can damage components. So dmg types is impact and shatter type dmg.

So it will either hull break, ram kill or component devastate (ram the rear of a pyra and those engines and the back gun is gone)