Author Topic: New component types?  (Read 9348 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
New component types?
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:59:05 pm »
I was thinking, it is getting increasingly difficult to come up with interresting new ships.
But what if new ships introduce and replace existing components with new ones?

An example, instead of Baloon, it has wings. Where there is 2 of to repair. Wings are weak, but repair quick. but are in several different locations.
Another example is One blasting engine, instead of constant thrusts, one blast to propelle the ship fast forward in a heart beat then slowly stopping into another blast.
Or hull with absolutely no armor and 5 times the ammount of Health of a galleon.
Or Hull armor that need to be repaired from different parts of the ship, creating a different dynamic to the hull armor repair.

Any other unique but similar mechanics? For balance reasons i can only see this coming to fruition in adventure mode.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: New component types?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:19:29 pm »
I always thought maybe we could have a new component that repairs everything at a slow rate (Like, 5 health per second) but has only 5 blocks of health, and takes 15 spanner hits to repair. Buffing it multiplies repair rate by 1.3, and the lower the component's health, the lower the repair rate. This would be for a new ship, obviously. Maybe it could be like the "Inside ship" I suggested, where it's hard to reach all the components.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:19:05 pm »
Do we 'need' new ships?
Firstly, Devs said that some of the ships will be brought to the skirmnish mode from Co-Op.
Secondly, I think that there are some areas of the game that should be more prioritised and with the same amount of work would bring more variety into the game. To give the strongest example: maps, maps, maps, MAAAAAPS!

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 09:11:07 pm »
I don't know if it'd be more fun or frustrating to put a small radio next to the steering wheel which has to be up and operational in order to communicate with other captains. without it the chat button just puts out static. Yeah it's probably a bit much for skirmish but I'd love to see a co-op boss ship the has the unique ability to hamper nearby player communications. It'd be like a silent hill enemy haha
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:12:57 pm by Saull »

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:31 pm »
Neat idea. Most competitive clans use some form of Teamspeak, or Ventrilo, however.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:10:09 pm »
Do we 'need' new ships?
Firstly, Devs said that some of the ships will be brought to the skirmnish mode from Co-Op.
Secondly, I think that there are some areas of the game that should be more prioritised and with the same amount of work would bring more variety into the game. To give the strongest example: maps, maps, maps, MAAAAAPS!

Maps are good.
More ship themes would be cool.
Maybe ship layouts? Like ship type A, B, and C in FTL: Faster Than Light? Same ship which does pretty much the something, but with a slightly altered layout. Say, an alternate Spire with hull and balloon components switched out? (Like the old, old Spire)

I'd love to see strange contraptions on Boss Ships. Just not on my ship or my Skirmish PvP's enemy ship.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 12:47:04 am »
I'm not creative enough to think up other component types the only thing that comes to mind is more ships with 4 engines, or maybe one with just 2 big tough industrial engines that are harder to destroy but if it lost one it would spin around in circles.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 03:44:41 pm »
I think a 'comm radio' component is really neat. More information is shared between ships than voice though. You could have a component that when destroyed, makes you lose contact with the other ship- you can't see them on the minimap, and you can't see markers around enemy ships they've spotted.

If that's too weak we could make destroying it prevent access to spotting altogether.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:50:03 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:21:26 pm »
Loosing Ally minimap is allready very strong :E

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:03:08 pm »
i really like the idea of inter-ship communication being affected by a component, however it really only punishes you if you are already not working as a team (i.e. not sticking together).  Furthermore, I do not think the game is sufficient in scale (matches are generally short, take place in a relatively small area, and by a small number of people) to justify such a mechanic, but it would be fucking amazing.

Allied captain - "we see the enemy, cant mark they're in a cloud. dont know where the other one is th---- *static*"

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 09:07:57 pm »
What if there was a gun like the mine launcher, but it shot jamming devices that float wherever they pop, and affect people within a certain area.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:08 pm »
Now that i think about it, would fit Coop pretty well.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 11:26:39 pm »
What if there was a gun like the mine launcher, but it shot jamming devices that float wherever they pop, and affect people within a certain area.

Only if its temp/instant.

Like an aoe remote controlled emp burst. locks cool downs and reloads.

so if you hit a tool with it on. you can't do anything else to the component. use up a clip. you cant reload. use a pilot tool? your crew can only fix it once.

If its an object that merely emits that jamming signal... that could be a problem for balance. But if its an instant effect that does 1 thing (something without a timed property), it might work. What I previously said is a bit OP tho. (plus emp doesnt work on engines and guns as they are fossil fuel ran and guns use gunpowder and stuff).

Though I assume communications in Guns is radio signals... so maybe a chaff bomb? disables all chats including text and signals and voice.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:29:04 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:46 pm »
Jaeger, but you would still be affected by it- instead of simply glancing at a minimap or ship spot you are now forced to spend time and effort figuring out where everything is. Definitely a detriment compared to having instant information.

The penalty would get that much worse in larger player counts though. Originally this idea of disabling ship comms was suggested in star citizen forum, and that game will have much larger playercounts in a single engagement, so IFF/spoofing it/general infowar will be much more important.
EVE would be an extreme example of interesting electronic warfare development, but it's all abstracted away as stat reduction :P

@max simply disabling chat or voice or voice signals would do nothing, people would simply switch to external voip. It has to be something that can't be reproduced.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:43:29 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 12:02:41 pm »
Another thing to be considered when talking about adding a comm component (or any new type of component) would be what kind of effect should buffing it have. once again I can really see this happening more in co-op as there would be too much opposition by the competitive players of GoI of any significant new mechanics that could change too much or seem unfair/ unnecessary but I'd like to see buffing this component create a sorta short range radar where nearby ships in clouds will either show up on the map temporary in short "pinging" intervals or maybe do that red highlight thing that the devs were showing off for their new spotting system.