Author Topic: Converting Light to Heavy  (Read 70786 times)

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Converting Light to Heavy
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 03:17:44 am »
I don't know myself, to be honest. Just something I overhear in chat or is mentioned off hand.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 04:56:18 am »
I still flippin love that jupiter field cannon idea.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 10:17:46 am »
Shall I dare bring up the howitzer and tesla cannon? XD

No, because the Tesla is a new gun entirely.

I still flippin love that jupiter field cannon idea.

Thank you, thank you, you're too kind.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 10:19:24 am »
i think a howitzer would just be  giant hades

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »
The Ixion flame vortex cannon is a flamethrower, but with Impact! (it would have been much better than the Minotaur)

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 12:57:13 pm »
I demand a heavy flamer, though cake clan might become unstoppable if such a thing were made.....

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 01:30:57 pm »
I demand a heavy flamer, though cake clan might become unstoppable if such a thing were made.....

I think you mean EVERYONE'll be unstoppable.

Or atleast goldfish mains. Heavy flamer + light carronade, oooh.

But I think it'd be redundant, current flamer serves a decent purpose and combos excellently with the all-powerful heavy carronade, there's no reason to switch the roles around when flamer is dependent on your chem cycles being off.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 03:03:46 pm »
I don't know myself, to be honest. Just something I overhear in chat or is mentioned off hand.

I see it a lot too, but the only reasoning I ever see behind it is "because, tesla cannon. Duh." Or something along those lines.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 04:23:39 pm »
I am going to assume that a Tesla gun would fire bolts somewhat like lightning. Lightning has little effect on metal, but it has a grand propensity to set fires and explode wood. So I would have to conclude that it would be a close range Piercing/Fire weapon that set the occasional fire. It would also have to be a heavy gun, since you need a massive generator to power the thing.

Also, since electricity does its own thing, it would have to have a very wide spread. More than hwacha.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:28:19 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 05:13:07 pm »
My main thought that goes against it is, this is steampunky. There is no room in the world of steam for electricity. And once you introduce electricity the entire world changes. Maybe I am just being a bit stubborn on the idea of changing the world of guns, but I do not see a need for tesla anything.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 05:35:20 pm »
Guns is not Steampunk. It is actually Dieselpunk mechanics with Steampunk aesthetics. Besides, I heard there was a Tesla class weapon in the original Guns of Icarus. So leaving it out already goes against the established world.

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 06:48:36 pm »
Well, I was more or less saying the Tesla Cannon for the luls. If used at all would be vastly overpowered and silly as hell. More of an ongoing meme then anything that should be used since it doesn't really go with the rest of the weaponry. But it gets one thinking, and that's good for brainstorming.

My main thought that goes against it is, this is steampunky. There is no room in the world of steam for electricity. And once you introduce electricity the entire world changes. Maybe I am just being a bit stubborn on the idea of changing the world of guns, but I do not see a need for tesla anything.

However, the use of electricity powered items predates airships beyond hot air balloons. The first arc light was made in the early 1800's, and was used for movie projectors up to WW2. The first steam propelled airship was 1852. Not to mention other picky inconsistencies without any electricity (in example, how to captains talk to each other without a radio?)

Truth be told, this game feels more diesel punk then steam punk, and has elements of both in it. It's kinda of its own thing. While it does have the steam punk aesthetic, I see the use of oil and engines rather then actual steam. And the guns range wildly between eras (the heavy flak looks like a ww1 artillery piece). Actual steam punk would have more flintlocks, gears, and well, steam. But we see oil, kerosene engines, ww1 inspired clothing (the Lost Soldier outfit in particular) and this, if we want to be picky, is leaning towards diesel punk. In which early forms of electricity would be very plausible.

There is a lot of inspiration that could be drawn from weaponry created in the world wars (and thus when electricity was very present), and later altered to fit the aesthetic better. After all, we use a fair bit of imagination for the setting as we know it.

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 06:55:50 pm »
I don't know the difference between diesel punk and steampunk. I did not even know diesel punk existed. My point was that, as far as I have seen in GOIO, there is no electricity. I do not know anything about the first, as I unfortunately never played it.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 07:19:56 pm »
while i've never heard of dieselpunk i can  grasp the meaning of it, instead of steampower its diesel fuel, e.g. why we have engines and not boilers on the ships

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 07:36:38 pm »
I only ever considered the visual look of steampunk. The older, fancy looking type people, or the smudged up grease rats that keep the cogs running. When I first heard the term diesel punk, I imagined more of a biker gang type look. Of course, that is just my personal imagination at work, so I am not surprised I was way off. That's what I get for making assumptions with absolutely no evidence.