Author Topic: Will adventure mode depend heavily on other players?  (Read 15879 times)

Offline Nathial Weatherby

• Salutes: 0
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Will adventure mode depend heavily on other players?
« on: March 17, 2015, 04:13:49 pm »
I have just pre-ordered adventure mode and I wanted to ask a question.
When I'm flying missions will I need a crew of real-life players?

Frankly I'm sick and tired of the current skirmish mode and how dependent it is on other players.
Will I be able to captain a ship in adventure mode and win without needing to find a crew of real-life players?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Will adventure mode depend heavily on other players?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 05:17:16 pm »
If you're unable to or unwilling to work with a full group of players, GOIO is probably not the game for you.

Afaik all modes will still be group play.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 05:23:51 pm »
Based on what I have seen from PAX demos Coop will have 2 ships working together each ship with the standard 4 man crew. However nothing is stopping you from going out with just an AI crew. Hopefully Coop will be less punishing than PvP where AI crews almost guarantee a loss.

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 05:52:29 pm »
I heard that adventure mode will involve commanding an airship and either transporting goods to a place or trying to steal those goods.

Also, is it possible to change my mind and ask for my money back?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »
I heard that adventure mode will involve commanding an airship and either transporting goods to a place or trying to steal those goods.

Also, is it possible to change my mind and ask for my money back?
feedback@musegames.com

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:56:02 pm »
If you're unable to or unwilling to work with a full group of players, GOIO is probably not the game for you.

Afaik all modes will still be group play.

I am not unwilling to play with others I'm just fed up with:

Waiting for extended periods of time on the crew screen while everyone else gets ready.

Having to wait longer when people suddenly leave.

Rarely being able to be the captain because those slots always get taken up first.

Getting to be the captain but not being able to get a crew because people don't like my preference in ships.

Having to play as an engineer over and over because the rest of the crew insists.

Playing under someone that seems to have no idea how to arm, command or even steer his ship.

I love Steampunk, I love videogames and I have always loved airships. That's why I was so excited when this game first came out. But personally, I think it needs to be able to accommodate gamers like me who like to go solo. That's hoping adventure mode will do.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:18:58 pm »
A game that was built on the foundations of team play (and given the steampunk theme around the gameplay idea) is not likely going to go away from that even with adventure mode.

You've been with the game since 2013, and are a member of a well established clan...
Have you considered asking members of the Gents in their teamspeak to crew with you?
I know a few gents and know a lot who're often looking to team with a good pilot, so seek them out and stop relying on the system to provide you?

Also if you've changed your mind about your purchase: feedback@musegames.com
It has no date set because the kickstarter did not get it the funding it needed, so Muse are pushing Co-op bigger and better, and then adventure mode will be something they do if they reach the funds...

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 05:30:44 am »
Thanks for the advice but I don't really know how to do that. Is Teamspeak that thing when you communicate over the microphone?
There aren't always enough Gentlemen online and when they are there always waiting to start their own game.

Just last night I joined a match with lots of other Gentlemen but they insisted I be crew as engineer (again). My team got completely hammered by the opposition and when it was over the captain spot opened up and I took it. But then everyone else left. And honestly, I can't help but think that I can't get a crew because nobody likes me.

Also I don't know how to find matches since I last played before they changed the menu to that pocket watch thing.

Are you part of the development team? It sounds like you have some insider knowledge and I don't know what an ambassador means in this context. If you have any contact with the development team could you pass something along for me? I think they would have easier time getting funds if they were more explicit about what adventure mode contained. Also I think it would only help game sales if adventure mode allowed people to play solo.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 05:39:29 am »
Community ambassador act as something a little below moderator. They remind people of the rules on the forums, trying to keep everyone a good sport, and can act as teachers to new players in-game. If something is particularly wrong with something, like a really bad troll, they can get in contact with a mod to fix the problem. I consider them a kind of civilian police force, made of people who cared enough about the community to help protect it.

Also, I cannot tell with that last sentence. Are you saying that it will only help sales if it is solo? Or are you saying it will help sales more if it was only solo?

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 06:20:34 am »
I'm saying that there are games that require lots of real-life players and games require only one player.

Right now, if you want to play Guns of Icarus going to rely heavily on other people and that's perfectly fine for some.
Sometimes, it can be difficult to get a match going because you need to get it organised and you can't always have things your way.

Playing a game by yourself makes it more convenient because you don't have to wait around for other people and if you have your own personal about how you want to play the game you can do it that way and no one will complain.

Each archetype is perfectly fine in its own way but personally I think this game should have a little bit of both .

I used to play World of Warcraft and I currently play Champions online. In both games, there are plenty of opportunities to play with real players but at the same time you are capable of playing the game on your own and actual leisure. I believe that doing it this way would satisfy people in both camps and thus broaden GoIo's number of potential customers.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 06:41:01 am »
Eric (Head Dev) has stated that there is not yet a given date for Adventure mode yet, they had hoped for summer 2014, but had to push it back and they hope 2015.
Co-op is being pushed forward before Adventure mode because all the development for co-op covers the basic coding (for AI and AI commander) is the same for adventure mode.
Adventure mode is intended to be a persistent world (Roleplayers rejoice!) however the adventure mode should be less reliant on other players than Co-op so that should be good for your current wants.

I will tell the Dev team about your suggestion about more information regarding adventure mode, but one there is a lot of information about adventure mode, especially on YouTube, type Guns of Icarus Adventure mode and you'll see a lot of videos about it. :)

Though I should mention the original kickstarter for Adventure mode was early 2013, and we are over a year after that, meaning it is not something they push to advertise, especially as all the hype/advertisement revolves around Co-op mode. :)

As for your issue with the gents:
Team Speak is a voice chat program which your clan uses to communicate in game and as a community, as I understand you've got a lot of active clan members who chat there, it's not that people don't like you, it's that they're talking in Team Speak and you can't hear them make other plans, so eliminated that bad feeling jump in TS (even if you don't have a mic) and get involved! :)

Also if you the pilots got beaten pretty bad, it could be a whole variety of reasons behind it beyond just a pilots skill :)

Captains have to take on the role of leaders, especially if they want people to follow them to the end of the world and back again, which means doing more than the average player to make friends and communicate with people, with great power comes great responsibility. :)

-added as you replied while I typed-
Adventure mode will be that little bit of both that you're looking for. :)

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 08:14:09 am »
Nathial if you look on your application on our website you can see comments people have left about you, and after last night there are now quite a few recommendations for you on there, I can assure you that the problem is not that nobody likes you.
As for not many gents online that is unfortunately true :/ mostly because we are currently looking to expand into other games as alot of the core members who have been around a lot longer than myself have simply got bored of GoIO but there are usually people on our TS server almost constantly, just usually playing other games.
And finally apologies if you feel like you were forced into something you didn't want to do but that match las night was a Mad Hatters practice for our match vs Sord this Saturday where we needed practice against experienced captains flying a galleon-junker
I Am really sorry if you do feel like the Gents are not for you but as I said, check out your application and the replies that it has, we would be happy to have you as a full member however until recently only 1 or 2 of us had played with you
EDIT: once you become a full member you will be sent the password to our TS server, I highly recommend getting involved on there. Your application has taken longer than usual because we havnt seen you in-game very often, to speed things up message other Gents whenever you see us online, even if we cant play with you (which is rare) it makes you look really good!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:23:46 am by c-ponter »

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 08:39:54 am »
Thanks. Personally I don't care at all about the multiplayer but I love steampunk and airships and I hope this game will become more acessable.

Aslo I don't think there is enough info out there. If there was I would not have posted this thread.

I thin that putting more details out would help build funds because, what people are doing esentaly is buying the game buy contributing. And no one is going to buy somthing that they don't know about.

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 08:42:02 am »
What's TS?

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 08:44:13 am »
Thanks. Personally I don't care at all about the multiplayer but I love steampunk and airships and I hope this game will become more acessable.

Aslo I don't think there is enough info out there. If there was I would not have posted this thread.

I thin that putting more details out would help build funds because, what people are doing esentaly is buying the game buy contributing. And no one is going to buy somthing that they don't know about.

What's TS?
As I said before TS = Team Speak, google it and you'll find it easily enough :)

Also I emailed the devs about the information (like I said I would.) so your point was not avoided, but I stand by the fact the information is out there, it is just not where it should be :)