Author Topic: Chem Spray vs Extinguisher  (Read 47195 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Chem Spray vs Extinguisher
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 10:29:15 am »
BREAKING NEWS!!! CHEMSPRAY FACTORY EXPLODES!!!

Which covered a block that a Cake Party was being held. The Chemspray factory explosion prevented a firestorm today, saving countless lives.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:24 am »
BREAKING NEWS!!! CHEMSPRAY FACTORY EXPLODES!!!

Which covered a block that a Cake Party was being held. The Chemspray factory explosion prevented a firestorm today, saving countless lives.

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130728002315/disneycreate/images/d/d9/DINKLEBERG.jpg

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2015, 09:14:39 am »
Just had a thought about the fire extinguisher...

If you are a gunner, and you know you are going to face a flamethrower a lot, bring a fire extinguisher. Even if you bring heatsink.
A good flamethrower will focus their flames onto a gun, such that the gun is quickly disabled. And a flamethrower needs only a short window to put 10+ stacks of fire on a component.

And we've all been there. When your gun is too hot to shot. You can call down an engineer, and watch him try to cool your gun with Chem Spray. That's like that guy you called about your internet, not fast enough. Instead, you can let the gun break, and rebuild it, which also isn't fast enough.

Instead, you can bring an extinguisher, and put out your own fires. Unlike engineers, you can do your stuff while extinguisher is on cool down. If the gun gets too hot again, just spray it again, and get back on.
You could bring chem spray and heatsink to try an expert maintenance and keep your gun off fire, but that kinda reduces your dps, and some guns just won't work like that.

So yeah, gunner with extinguisher. A thought.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2015, 09:40:49 am »
Ext for gunners? Beyond crap.
Bringing an extinguisher stops you from rebuilding or repairing a gun. Thats never good. You also weaken your ships ability to tank.
Fire tools or buff hammers arent for gunners. Simple as that.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 09:41:58 am »
Ext for gunners? Beyond crap.
Bringing an extinguisher stops you from rebuilding or repairing a gun. Thats never good. You also weaken your ships ability to tank.
Fire tools or buff hammers arent for gunners. Simple as that.

Saluted because I agree.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2015, 10:48:21 am »
Your engineer should keep your gun chem sprayed. This isn't difficult on any ship aside from mobula. If you're only facing flamethrowers and you have no confidence in your engineers then maybe you can bring chem. But there's never a real situation to bring a fire tool and especially not an extinguisher.

Fire extinguishers are a big no because your gun will take damage when it catches on fire along with the direct damage from the flame. With chem it will only deal direct damage so your gun will be healthier. Never sit on a reloading gun! Every single reload you need to get off it and use your tool(s). #1 player mistake is sitting on guns.

Here's a better tip: don't be a gunner. Gunners are utterly useless on almost all guns. Unless you're on a mine launcher or lumberjack there's absolutely no reason to be a gunner especially if you're afraid of fire. Gunners are a major liability and deal less damage. Gunners operate the most important gun which needs to do max damage and be max repaired.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:17:03 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2015, 09:20:16 am »
Let's rediscuss since Fire Extinguisher got a pretty good buff.

would you recommend the Fire Extinguisher to your crew now that it is a little more useful?

I think I would recommend them for the newer players, since it is easier to use effectively. But I think Chem still has Extinguisher beat.

And since Flame doesn't penetrate, you really only need to Chem hull, balloon, and gun/engines on the side that is getting flamed.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2015, 12:30:42 pm »
I use extinguisher on hull side of mobula and on squid wrench buff extinguisher engi.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2015, 01:20:10 am »
Flamer still needs chem, but if there's, like, one or two banshees, ext.

Hades you're fucked anyway.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 04:01:41 pm »
Hades is for putting piercing damage at range. I never felt much emphasis on fire.

Haven't tried this myself, but I think the extinguisher against a flamer can give the gun a few moments to snipe the flamethrower. I think with banshee or gatling. I haven't played inn a bit, so I don't know.

Offline Fynx

• Salutes: 30
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2015, 06:10:39 am »
I'm sorry to disappoint, but if the enemy uses a single banshee and you have an extinguisher on the balloon, this balloon is going to die.

Extinguisher was not a bad choice on the mobula hull before. In my opinion it's now good on the upper deck of the spire too.
It might be useful on triple engineer setup on any ship if there's no need for mallet spanner buff loadout present.

Except for that, nothing changed.

Offline ApocalypseToast

• Salutes: 2
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2015, 09:05:45 pm »
my personal preference is to use fire extinguisher if ive been tasked as main engi just because like you said, it get rid of the problem immediately but if im secondary/gungineer ill take the chem spray to keep the guns in working order :)

Offline Hypnopotamus Rex

• Salutes: 10
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »
If I'm maining on a Pyra or Goldfish, I go for chemspray. Works great in a long-range Pyramidion taking Hades shots - a spray here, a tap with the spanner there, no need to panic at all.

Does anyone use chemspray in a mobula? If so, does it depend on the build?

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2016, 04:33:07 pm »
If I'm maining on a Pyra or Goldfish, I go for chemspray. Works great in a long-range Pyramidion taking Hades shots - a spray here, a tap with the spanner there, no need to panic at all.

I take extinguisher on mobula when a lot of switching between top deck guns to lower deck guns happens, that's because you don't have time to go to chem between clips. But when you have a build that makes the engineer stay only on lower deck it is pretty reasonable to let him chem between clips - so I guess you can take it then.
In addition, it can also be situational with what the enemy is bringing, if there is no chance for long range fire, and you fear fire only in close range where the engineer will most likely spend his time on lower deck guns anyways because repairs - it is possible to take it for the close range potential fires.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2016, 04:41:53 pm »

The standard for mobula is chem on the right and extinguisher on left. Balloons take too much damage from fire so you need chem to keep it healthy. The armor is less important on mobula than its high maneuverability and firepower so bringing extinguisher on right lets you react quickly.

Another reason is the mobula theory on the right and left sides. In general the left side is more reactive and the right side is more reliable. A common setup is for the left engi to start on the upper wing gun and move down at closer range while the right engi stays at the bottom gun. This means the right side is always next to the balloon and can keep chem cycles while the left side may be on the outer wing. Stamina is often more important on the left side to get to the hull/gun asap while the right side can use stamina for chem cycles and to time gun reloads. Because the right side is more reliable it's usually the location of the support or kill gun and chem lets you prepare to engage for longer. Chem can effectively be used on the left side too and might be a good idea if there are a lot of enemy banshees.

The pilot should bring extinguisher on mobula to extinguish the top gun. It's easy to jump and tap the gun and I've found extinguisher to be the most useful pilot tool for mobula. This lets you bring a gunner or spanner mallet buff engi on the top without worrying about gun fires. The main engine can catch on fire but it's less likely and not very harmful. Fire doesn't damage components much and main engines have the most health. When not in combat the left side engi can come and extinguish it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:49:33 pm by BlackenedPies »