Author Topic: To GG or not to GG? That is the question.  (Read 42511 times)

Offline Supimpa

• Salutes: 8
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
To GG or not to GG? That is the question.
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:51:35 pm »
What is your personal stance on laying out gg's at the end of every match? Here are some questions:

1- Do you think it still holds any meaning or did it become something trivial, automatic?
2- Do you feel compelled to do it?
3- Do you feel unconfortable if you don't do it? Should you?
4- Do you see people who don't GG differently?
5- In your opinion, what is the correct application of gg: every single match because yes OR only balanced matches when you think both sides were able to have fun.

I personally think it's unecessary and it has become almost mandatory if you don't want to be seen as impolite. That troubles me a lil bit because I'm one of those guys who think GG only makes sense when both sides had fun and/or really tried to compete. Totally disaprove the political correctness side of it.

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: To GG or not to GG? That is the question.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:01:31 pm »
I have my own system when I conclude a game :P behold:

\o/ <-- cheer for victories

o7 <-- salute for defeats

Both are rather neutral and express the reverence and conclusive meanings that come with each outcome :)

I can use this in every game without the feeling of it being unnecessary or as a reverse, impolite if some sees it so. Sometimes I just forget to remark if I have to step away or whichever - Frankly its up to the player to decide how they want to do it but I like my neutral responses :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:03:23 pm by Ayetach »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 01:03:19 pm »
I think it's always good to say, even if you didn't have as much fun. Generally both teams are trying their best to come out on top, even if it's a terrible mismatch. I'll always say gg to players that are trying, but if I end up winning because they have a whole ship leave or some kind of troll on their team, I'll often apologize. If I end up losing, even if it's from trolls or leavers, I'll still commend the enemy for a good game.

I suppose there's a few instances where I wouldn't say gg, this is usually if the opposing team is entirely composed of trolls and/or rude players.

Not saying gg generally comes off as extremely disrespectful (in the cases where you replace it with bg or such. Not saying anything at all isn't that bad). There was a clan I respected for some time until they stopped saying gg and always reverted to just saying 'game' at the end of their matches, and this came off as extremely rude and turned a lot of players against them. They've more or less stopped doing this, but the hard feelings from when they did it are still around.

So in the end it's the usual "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." It's nice to say GG after a match, but if it was a terrible match, I wouldn't say anything and let it go rather than saying bg or even going so far as to blame players.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:14:42 pm »
I put "gg" into global automatically at the end of the match. Is is a show of respect for your opponents regardless of if you won or not. Even if the game was a lopsided stomp or an overlong slog due to incompetent piloting I don't see the point of putting anything negative in global clat.

Crew or team chat, on the other hand, I will use to rail upon my ally's deficiencies and explain what they did to cause us to loose.

Offline Supimpa

• [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:41 pm »
Not saying gg generally comes off as extremely disrespectful (in the cases where you replace it with bg or such. Not saying anything at all isn't that bad). There was a clan I respected for some time until they stopped saying gg and always reverted to just saying 'game' at the end of their matches, and this came off as extremely rude and turned a lot of players against them. They've more or less stopped doing this, but the hard feelings from when they did it are still around.
Why does it generally comes off as extremely disrespectful, to the point where you started disliking a clan you respected when they stopped gg-ing?

When did gg-ing become so important? Doesn't it bother you that gg-ing is almost a norm, similar to a social norm.

Offline Supimpa

• [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:55 pm »
Imagine a small group of people in your city start saying "good food!" every time they leave any restaurant. After some time, you notice that more and more people are doing the same, and one day you're one of the few who are not doing it. Then your friends start calling you out on your impoliteness, "Common, aren't you gonna say good food?". No one seems to remember when such behavior was completely unecessary or why it's become a norm.

Why can't your friends and you just enjoy your meal and leave like it's always been? Aren't there enough not-spoken obligations that we have to adhere? Why create more when it's not needed or why enforce new ones?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:31:54 pm by Supimpa »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 01:29:00 pm »
I say GG when it really was a GG

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 01:54:26 pm »
Imagine a small group of people in your city start saying "good food!" every time they leave any restaurant. After some time, you notice that more and more people are doing the same, and one day you're one of the few who are not doing it. Then your friends start calling you out on your impoliteness, "Common, aren't you gonna say good food?". No one seems to remember when such behavior was completely unecessary or why it's become a norm.

Why can't your friends and you just enjoy your meal and leave like it's always been? Aren't there enough not-spoken obligations that we have to adhere? Why create more when it's not needed or why enforce new ones?

It costs you nothing to be polite and might make another person feel better. Niceties like "Hello," "Good Bye," "Please," and "Thank You" are not required to communicate. Yet their use is almost ubiquitous. "GG" is just the gaming equivalent.

If "good food" became customary to say as you leave a restaurant I would be sure to say it, just as I would be sure to tip when it is expected. To do otherwise would be to put my individuality above another person's happiness. I am not that sort of person and I do not wish to be seen as such.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:57:15 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 01:58:39 pm »
i obviously didn't make this but i think it's appropriate
we all dealt with those people...

just gg or don't say anything. noone cares.
[/quote

This

Offline Supimpa

• [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:32 pm »
It costs you nothing to be polite and might make another person feel better. Niceties like "Hello," "Good Bye," "Please," and "Thank You" are not required to communicate. Yet their use is almost ubiquitous. "GG" is just the gaming equivalent.

If "good food" became customary to say as you leave a restaurant I would be sure to say it, just as I would be sure to tip when it is expected. To do otherwise would be to put my individuality above another person's happiness. I am not that sort of person and I do not wish to be seen as such.
Everyone can relate to the usefulness of "Please" and "Thank you", these have been in languages since i don't know.. forever? Now 'GG' is new and it was never needed (perhaps it still isn't, but some people seem to think it is) in gaming until recently.

Regarding "good food" example. Wouldn't you at least question why it's become customary? Why not saying "good food" became equal to "put my individuality above another person's happiness". If you thought it's a silly thing and see no reason for it to become customary, would you say it anyway, thus helping it become a norm?

Offline Supimpa

• [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 02:34:31 pm »
I put "gg" into global automatically at the end of the match. Is is a show of respect for your opponents regardless of if you won or not. Even if the game was a lopsided stomp or an overlong slog due to incompetent piloting I don't see the point of putting anything negative in global clat.

Crew or team chat, on the other hand, I will use to rail upon my ally's deficiencies and explain what they did to cause us to loose.
GG isn't a show for respect to me and many other people whom I speak to - mostly because up until recently I had always seen it used for legitimately good games - but I understand that it's meaning might be different to other players (because of dota or starcraft i guess).

I couldn't care less if spouting "triple legged constipated avocados" at the end of each match became a sign of respect towards other people and I would definitely have no quarell about anyone saying it.

It only becomes a problem when suddently I'm supposed to say it, or else I'm considered impolite.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 02:41:50 pm »
This sounds a lot like the discussion on commendations in another thread. It is talked there about how, at this point, it seems impolite to not give a commendation. When I feel someone does not deserve a gg, I say "gg, everyone but X". If someone really went so far that they do not deserve a gg, they deserve to be singled out. Preferably with copious amounts of ridicule. >:D

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 02:53:08 pm »
sorry for the misbalance
sorry for the ragequitters
gg
gg wp
Good game, Well Played (When the game was so good and so well played that they deserve the full statement.)

What I say at the end of games.

And prior to this:

Happy Birthday!~

Offline Steve CZ

• Salutes: 21
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 03:19:29 pm »
I noticed most people write it automatically no matter how terrible the match turned out (for example half of one team ragequit), therefore I think it lost any meaning and I ignore it completely. If someone is judging me for not writing it, then... well... who cares.

It's similar when the person at the cinema who checks tickets tells you "Enjoy the movie" and you know he's doing it just because it's in the job description.

Honestly, if the game was something really enjoyable or special, it deserves more than joining the gg crowd in the chat.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 03:20:26 pm »
I often have a habit of saying GG.

If it was a very very intense match, normally I say nothing regardless of win or loss simply because my brain starts replaying important parts of the match and I forget to type...

If it was a good balanced match and I came out on top, I tend to say "Nothing without my crew <3" because pilots and captains very often forget, without a good crew, they'd get nowhere outside of public matches.

If it was a good balanced match and I lost, sometimes habit says GG, other times I say "Very well played!"

and same as repleaceable, sorry for the unbalanced match (even if they refused offers to help balance the match.) and sorry for the rage quitters.