Author Topic: A short musing for open discussion: Radical thinking on levels.  (Read 23050 times)

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: A short musing for open discussion: Radical thinking on levels.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 11:54:12 am »
Maybe if we had some kind of program where good role models in the community could act as such and play matches with lower leveled players, both helping build up their skill/level while helping show them that not all high level players are festering turds. This would let them be good players despite their lower level, and be more open to communication and advice.

Oh woe is me, if only such a thing existed, and if only those particular players would do the role they signed up for~

Not sure if youre trying to be disingenuous by insinuating that im not contributing to said system. I play hundreds more matches with random players high level or low than i do staying stuck with my own clan mates. You can ask anyone that sees me on during my active times :) this is also why i make these posts to other CAs about finding ways to improve the skill gap and detriments along with it as well as open-ended discussions here.

This post is more theoretical discussion as i have diligently outlined very clearly in the op how unlikely it would be to impliment them. I just like to hear what others have to say and many points from yourself and others have their validity :)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 12:18:07 pm »
Feels like this thread is taking a turn in the opposite direction of the original post. I believe the intentions were to discuss ways to reduce/eliminate discrimination against lower level players and potentially decrease elitism (which is where the irony came in) that is often experienced due to the level system. Low level players are blamed for everything, yelled at, and surprisingly often not allowed on ships of high level players.

By removing levels and replacing with matches/time played, you're not fixing a goat licking thing. If players are distinguished in any way from one another, be it levels, matches, title, or fancy hats; there's going to be the same discrimination and elitism.

Maybe if we had some kind of program where good role models in the community could act as such and play matches with lower leveled players, both helping build up their skill/level while helping show them that not all high level players are festering turds. This would let them be good players despite their lower level, and be more open to communication and advice.

Oh woe is me, if only such a thing existed, and if only those particular players would do the role they signed up for~

Every day I log in I attempt to make a novice match and okay with/teach at least one novice match a day.... Assuming there is no training to do or some such, since the sale ended, I have not been able to fill a single novice match, so go to the public matches and try there.

It is insulting for you to assume and insult every single CA based on your own assumptions and very poorly seen observation's.
Yes it can be said -some- people may not take the role seriously, but rather than be an obnoxious fool and paint us all the same colour, you should email feedback@musegames.com and tell them who you think is not pulling their weight, or talk to one of the CA moderators privately.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 12:22:41 pm »
Worry not, I meant no harm to your egos. This is a criticism of the CA system in general. And before they all start piling in here and listing out their own accomplishments, I don't care about what any individual CA has or has not done. As a whole, many neglect their duty to teach and assist new players, choosing instead to stick with their own groups. This isn't something new.

If instead our overwhelming amount of CAs chose to go out and help players as intended, it would mitigate a lot of the 'issues' when dealing with lower leveled players.

But for those CAs who do think this post is directed at them, then it probably is. If they're feeling the need to justify their actions and trumpet their accomplishments, they're pretty insecure about doing their role. If you don't think it's directed at you, then keep on keeping on, we need more of you.

For badges instead, that doesn't solve the discrimination against new players, as they don't really have a lot of badges. And a lot of players who have the 45/45/45 have plenty of badges, because they want to be the top in every way. Any way that allows players to showcase their experience or skill allows for elitism and also for discrimination against newer players. Even if you got rid of the entire system, players would still find a way. Even if it's just "Everyone knows my name because I'm amazing." and "I've never heard of you before, you're probably awful."

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 01:31:27 pm »
Indeed, I do appreciate your thoughts on this and truthfully I could mitigate the integration issues players have using CAs.

Now I know every CA is different and perhaps views their contributions differently. It is difficult to discern how that can be improved beyond hoping they would be more active really. However, there are events and various initiatives to have them help contribute to in getting more players up to speed but I would definitely love to hear more suggestions in reducing this kind of gap mentality.

The original post was as it was titled - a radical concept, and you rightly outlined the faults with those ideas. But this is why I post here to get feedback when I'm thinking about different angles of challenges we face.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:34:01 pm by Ayetach »

Offline Supimpa

• Salutes: 8
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 02:23:12 pm »
Worry not, I meant no harm to your egos. This is a criticism of the CA system in general. And before they all start piling in here and listing out their own accomplishments, I don't care about what any individual CA has or has not done. As a whole, many neglect their duty to teach and assist new players, choosing instead to stick with their own groups. This isn't something new.

If instead our overwhelming amount of CAs chose to go out and help players as intended, it would mitigate a lot of the 'issues' when dealing with lower leveled players.

But for those CAs who do think this post is directed at them, then it probably is. If they're feeling the need to justify their actions and trumpet their accomplishments, they're pretty insecure about doing their role. If you don't think it's directed at you, then keep on keeping on, we need more of you.

For badges instead, that doesn't solve the discrimination against new players, as they don't really have a lot of badges. And a lot of players who have the 45/45/45 have plenty of badges, because they want to be the top in every way. Any way that allows players to showcase their experience or skill allows for elitism and also for discrimination against newer players. Even if you got rid of the entire system, players would still find a way. Even if it's just "Everyone knows my name because I'm amazing." and "I've never heard of you before, you're probably awful."

I can vouch for this. Seen many CAs who only fly with their friends, before most recent patch some would fly pyras and rolfstomp random crew ships all day.

I don't see how removing levels would solve any problems. Population is still low, fresh players will still get matched with experienced players. Frustration will still happen.

It would make boasting and bragging more difficult, but then again, that was never a big issue. The so called elitists won't stop feeling 'elite' just because some stats suddenly got removed from the game.

The closest you get to elitism in this game are people who think they are in a different level of skill simply because they play 'competitive' (which is nothing more than a normal game except for the fact that every player knows their roles and basic screw ups don't happen).