Author Topic: new players  (Read 34257 times)

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: new players
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2015, 05:56:58 pm »

To MightyKeb
I did not ignore him at first, I am not a moron. I always try to establish comms with everyone, just to make sure they can hear me, just in case there is an emergency where I do need to talk with them. I know the world does revolve around me, and does not change itself for the sole purpose of giving me a challenge. I did not carry my team in that particular instance, as my teammate was at least on my level, and we both had a great crew (discounting the bow dweller). I also refuse to believe that succeeding in one game alone could lead to elitism, or that I could succumb to elitism. Yes, I realize that sounds like elitism itself, believing I am too good to be bothered by your petty ideas of good and bad, but it is really not.

I have always had a decent idea of myself, and how others view me, so I have some idea of whether or not I am good, as a human being. Sure, I throw some smartass comments around, but for the most part I am a decent person. Also, my skin is unbreakable, so do not bother apologizing for something to me. I have never felt insulted on the internet, though many have tried, and I doubt anyone in this community could be cruel enough to come up with an insult that would crack through my impenetrable shell of laughter and jokes. Everyone on these forums is too nice to break me. Even Schwalbe, though I do feel he could have come up with a better name than sarcasm train. Maybe the Flying Sarcasm, setting sail for the port of Fuck You. Liked the stuff after that though, so my idea could not really be applied. As you were then.

Now that's a gigantic paradox technically, but I'll take your word for it. Still, even though you've defended yourself from my arguments by justifying them and almost finding a common ground, you havent touched why exactly leaving and reporting is, in your words I quote, "childish" and what instead is your solution? Perhaps the community'll find your established method superior, and that is assuming you have one in question.

Maybe they do like I do and.. just live with their choice and have fun anyways? Your gonna get bad apples in any game if you let them completely ruin it for you then.. well your loss really.

It is fun to play on a dysfunctional ship in its own way.. Just like its fun to play on a cookie cutter ship... Just a different experience and different learning opportunity.

Personally my interaction with new players is... (Since I only engineer for now...) Ask the second or other engineer(s) (depending if its one or two) - if they prefer to shoot or main engi.. (or relevant question for the ship).. 99% of the time they will say shoot, so I suggest the best ammo for the gun and main engi. If they chose to not bring it, oh wells.

If a group is cooperative I will suggest more things to be helpful to them (if guns are really bad, suggest better loadouts .. if they can do something more efficient - how to do that.. etc.) and if they don't seem to care then I don't bother and just use these matches to help myself be better in hard situations..  (How to prioritize.. damage awareness etc).. You get a lot more of that in low skill lobbies then you do in high skill ones honestly..

I can't remember the last time I had a truly bad match because of someone. Actually my last bad experience is a game where some new person was playing how they could and the "vet" captain decides its his job to scream at the person the entire time until they leave.. or the game ends - and pretend like everything that goes wrong is that one persons fault... - I'd much rather play with the "bad" new player then those types of "good" vet players..

I know one of my earliest games in GOIO was on such a ship from a certain clan and pretty much completely avoid that clan for most of my GOIO career because of that one person.. Lucky I met more fun people who didn't scream so much and I stuck around. And honestly if I had met a few of those types in a row I would of quit the game before I really got started..

As for games with out right trolls (ie captain who feels the need to ram the ship in to the ground or.. second engineer who thinks the front gun of the goldfish is his and not the gunners no matter what any say... etc).. Not much muse can do about really.. They exist in every game .. No need to take it to seriously.. These are the cases its fine to report and leave a lobby afterward I think (I'd never leave mid-match though but wouldn't blame anyone who does)... -but usually they leave..

--

For the topic point though.. What can muse do to help new players learn things quicker but not make it unfun, I still think forcing them to do the tutorial before they can opt out of novice could help some... (they can still level out of it if they don't want to do the tutorials).. This should at lest remove most of the people who don't even know mallet is for repair and spanner for rebuild.. and other minor issues..

I also think novice should last X matches instead of till X level in a class.. And the number needs to be worked out to whatever it seems takes the average new player to learn the basics of the game.. and is better then an AI at it. (which isn't a really high bar.. but its higher then you see sometimes). (even though you don't want this type of idea its more just reference for the next bit).

Idk what else they can really do though short of things that would make it just unfun... Most people seem to just want to jump in to the game and play - that's fine but.. They should do it in novice - not a normal match.. Not just because people don't always want to play with them but rather it gives them a bad experience - being stomped and feeling like you couldn't do anything to win isn't exactly fun (for either side really).. So giving them enough time or the right knowledge to understand why they are losing so badly.. Might help them feel less bad and more willing to try to get better at it..

I don't actually think though Muse needs to teach them gun arks and loadouts and correct ammo types for guns, and all that technical stuff that can change any patch..  because I think they learn all that just fine over time if they stay (like we all did). I think they should just focus on making sure they know enough about the game that then can understand why they might lose or what tools do.. and of course being willing to cooperate with other players.

Its hard to really do that though outside the tutorials in the actual game.. just because the content of the game is user driven and doesn't employ any story or anything to use.. So it sorta depends on the older players to teach the more technical things..

This post is to long.. but oh well.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 06:37:40 pm »
Keb, my solution is as Caprontos said, just carry on and have fun regardless. The reason I feel that leaving and reporting is a little too similar to "running to mommy" for my taste. Not meant as an actual insult to your person, just the only way to explain my opinion on the topic.

Schwalbe, awesome comeback.

Caprontos, the matches played might work out, though I still do not feel it can guarantee that new players will learn the things that vets want them to know. But then again, there is not really an easy fix to the problem. The only thing is to make sure that it is not too long, because I do not feel it would be fair for me to be in a novice game, as that might lead to the stomping people want to avoid. I do not even have 200 matches I don't think, though I have played with and learned from a few high end players. Maybe I really should technically be in novice.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2015, 08:18:16 am »
Schwalbe, awesome comeback.

*tips the hat*