Author Topic: New Spire!  (Read 13575 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
New Spire!
« on: February 26, 2015, 02:23:39 pm »
Weve witnessed the new changes to the spire, which are stat buffs to its Health and Speed.

This greatly made players more comfortable with the ship and lots more people play it now finaly (Even though some of the builds they use are rubbish).
And guess what, they still die somewhat quick. But this is just pub play were talking.

Spires now are a greater threat than what they were before, not just because of the buffs but also reasons why players start to use them, the buffs simply made players open to the spires concept of quadfectas. The spires firepower was never changed, just how many hits it can take before it dies. The speed mostly doesnt change much on its survivability more than its meneuverability, but what the speed did buff on is partialy on its firepower when it comes to range. It can distance himself better with the limits of his weapons. The health stat better forgives any players that try to manage their crew onboard the spire. Before, one needed pitch perfect ish crew to make the spire as threatning as all the other ships. Now they just have to be competent enough because the health finaly forgives mistakes, and allows for bravery... Such as keeping a quadfecta while the armor is dead. Killing before getting killed has become less risky.

And if you think spires are too strong, then maybe you need to sit inside a spire to know how to defeat it.
Think about Explosive power more than piercing power when on about killing the spire
If you have a dual gat + mortar mobula and you want to kill that spire... dont do that. Just have hades or One gat lesmok with dual light flak mobula and youl kill the spire in one barrage, that is also because the armor isnt as well looked after as the goldfish's armor. Thats mostly because of the format of the ship.

Most of the times, or usually expect less fire power on the spire the more you tamper with its Armor or baloon.

My biggest problem with the ship is the New gun!

I need more slots because the minotaur opened up an array of new builds. You have no idea how many i have but gosh darn did it grow with the minotaur.
And that is also something im expecting from the spire being more friendly. New builds i have not ever tought of.

So! What do you think of the new Spire?
May someone familiar with the squid open a similar topic for the squid?

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: New Spire!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 02:59:23 pm »
I've been flying spire for a month in anticipation of the update, and I love every bit of the buff. I even got Skrim to show me some super secret Spire tactics. I haven't been flying anything but spire the past few days, it's so great

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 03:02:14 pm »
I even got Skrim to show me some super secret Spire tactics.

Hahahahaha

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 03:41:19 pm »
I came to realize that Pyra counter is, surprisingly, short range Spire. Since many pub players played Pyra (before 1.4.0), and many Pyra captains thought Spire an easy target, I've had great successes with it. Hwacha mortar gat gat spire can disable a Pyramidion, strip hull, and blow it to pieces in an instant.

With the buff to Spire, I have more room for mistake. Before 1.4.0, my close range spire died at least once per match. Now, I'm having matches where I don't die at all. I'm not sure if this is because Spire is unbalanced, or I'm just good at captaining the Spire.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 03:43:44 pm »
I came to realize that Pyra counter is, surprisingly, short range Spire. Since many pub players played Pyra (before 1.4.0), and many Pyra captains thought Spire an easy target, I've had great successes with it. Hwacha mortar gat gat spire can disable a Pyramidion, strip hull, and blow it to pieces in an instant.

With the buff to Spire, I have more room for mistake. Before 1.4.0, my close range spire died at least once per match. Now, I'm having matches where I don't die at all. I'm not sure if this is because Spire is unbalanced, or I'm just good at captaining the Spire.
Well that was always a very good build.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:13:10 pm »
Double gat blender spire. Heavy clip gats aim for guns with gunner on carro. Gats with carro will shred armor and components and eat the hull of a poor pyra.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:25:23 pm »
Double gat blender spire. Heavy clip gats aim for guns with gunner on carro. Gats with carro will shred armor and components and eat the hull of a poor pyra.

I like Hwacha better because of easy disables. Spire is usually dead if it's getting shot. Although, with the buff, H. Carro might be more viable.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 04:41:09 pm »
I like Hwacha better because of easy disables. Spire is usually dead if it's getting shot. Although, with the buff, H. Carro might be more viable.

Hwatcha is good, I do double artemis gat hwatcha (buff heavy). I used to take hwatcha gat mortar with AI.

That blender spire is great against metamidions because they essentially only have a gat. The gunner on the carronade is for blasting charged and heatsink in their face. They will constantly take armor damage so ramming isn't a good option for them, and the two heavy clip gats rapidly disable components. The goal is to charge (luckily they will probably charge too) and control them with bumps and light rams.

Make no mistake it can be very risky but it's also satisfying and fun. The biggest problem is that for longer range the gat tracers don't line up correctly so it takes good gunners for reliable disables.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:49:15 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 04:55:24 pm »
I think the buff is a wonderful thing for the spire. I enjoy gunning on a Spire very much, and hopefully we'll be able to see more of them now.

Although even with the new gun, I don't think it needs a change in gun slots at all. Again, this goes back to a previous comment on another board that you have to choose between the damage and the support and work out a strategy from what your team has. I've seen moo gun spire work fantastic in some games, not so good in others. Alas, the temptation of this shiny new gun makes it so that you will see an entire team with it (and it doesn't turn out as well as one would hope). 

I agree completely that if you think a ship is OP, you should fly on it. It's a great way to learn strength and weaknesses. Its balloon is an inviting target, and the various parts a placed far enough from each other that the engi's can be spread thin and unable to shoot. Ambush is still viable from above or below on it's rear arc, more so then most ships with its long bottom and huge balloon. (Mind you, all this can be applied to most ships, but it's what I've observed on the Spire especially).

Honestly, the spire really needed the buffs. It folded like a paper cup on a stick if anything even looked at it sideways. Now people will be trying out new builds and new things. I'm looking forward to seeing what come of it.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 03:42:21 am »
Well a good take on with the minotaur is if you pair yourself with another minotaur ship.

I can see 2 spires can be alot more viable, specialy now. Which is KIND OF a bad thing. Having two of the same ship (Almost same build) just to be strong is not the best balance Imo.
The ship is awesome, i just think that dual spires can be something of a meta. Like two pyras once being a better choice than a pyra+ something else.

But, wel have to see. When summer is up, il take my spire in for a spin competetively.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 04:03:20 am »
My biggest problem with the ship is the New gun!

I need more slots because the minotaur opened up an array of new builds. You have no idea how many i have but gosh darn did it grow with the minotaur.
And that is also something im expecting from the spire being more friendly. New builds i have not ever tought of.

Can you post some of your builds. All I can think of is gat mortar and hades flak. All the other builds I have focus more on disable than kill power witch is not the best for a glass cannon.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 04:48:27 am »
May someone familiar with the squid open a similar topic for the squid?

Yeah yeah.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 05:39:37 am »
Disablling builds is still viable, you just have to think in all dpossible disabling directions.
If you are going killing power, your killing prowes better be linear enough to kill quickly.

Remember, as the pilot you may also have to jump on a gun.
So stuff like the Usual  Gattling sides greased + Mortar and hacha middle are quite linear (piercing pluss Explosive)
Hades + Lumberjack + Dual Light flaks can all aim at the enemies baloon and still resulting in the usual linear way of killing, you just go through the bonus of the baloon.
Then you have the Dual gat LEsmok + mine and Heavy flak middle. Gats to strip armor from safe distance. Mine with pilot input to keep ships in distance. Heavy flak to kill.

For disabling, you may want to take as many directions as possible.
Carronade, Flamer, gat, and mortar is a good build that doesnt kill as quick but rather gives control on when to kill.
Lumberjack + Mercury + artemis and Flamer gives you Long range support in both disabling and baloon popping when in arc. The flamer is just for the sake of defence or keeping a ship close by intact, i usually take Mines there.
There is also the Hwacha + Dual Banshees + Hades middle for the sake of fire without the flamethrower.

There is probably some other ones too i cant recall...

But now you have the minotaur. Which can help you out on disabling builds.
Hades+Minotaur+Dual light flaks (kill build), much like the one with lumberjack is good against difficult baloon ships (Pyra, Goldie) Gives you Piercing + more piercing from the minotaur, with the added knockbackyback.
Minotaur+Flamer with Banshee and carronade: This may not be so good as ive barely touched it. Gunner uses both mino and flamer, while main engineer uses both banshee and carronade.

Most of better disabling builds come from the hwacha or the Carro. But in spires case, youl want to have a control of the kill more than simply disabling.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:45:56 am by Crafeksterty »

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 05:48:01 am »
A disabling Spire I have is Hwacha, Hades, Carronde and Flamer.

A disabling Spire with Minotaur I think would work ok-ish with Gatling/Hades and double artemis. When they are shooting you, just turn them away and when not, disable them.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 07:25:00 am »
Subarco doesn't play much anymore
but he had a nice long range disable spire, not effective for all situations but its pretty fun.

Lumberjack and triple Artemis
Once the balloon breaks, the Hull gets a bigger hitbox
--------------------------
You could turn this short range by replacing the lumberjack with a carronade
Basically turns into a Carrot
"A Carrot on a Stick"