Author Topic: WTF 'Dust In The Wind'  (Read 20617 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: WTF 'Dust In The Wind'
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 01:52:03 pm »
I just hit level 8 pilot from this achievement, and I wasn't even trying for it. I was doing a lot of ramming with my double chain Pyramidion. It probably came from the nose to nose Pyramidion on Goldfish rams I kept doing to bump their main gun offline.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 03:58:27 pm »
I hear you guys. We keep going back to ramming to try to figure out why it doesn't seem to be counting properly (because that's the real problem, not the action itself). I understand it's frustrating, and I'm sorry. We're taking one more look to investigate a possible bug with the way collision damage is applied. Stay tuned.

With buffing balloons, if that particular buff is perceived as not useful, that itself is a problem. I conferred with awkm, and we're going to raise the duration of the balloon buff from 20 seconds to 1 minute, which should significantly increase its tactical usefulness. Also, note that buffing the balloon does not automatically make you rise -- it reduces vertical drag, which means you can both rise and sink faster. If you rise suddenly when a balloon buff finishes, it's because you were holding down W at the time.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 04:11:46 pm »
With buffing balloons, if that particular buff is perceived as not useful, that itself is a problem. I conferred with awkm, and we're going to raise the duration of the balloon buff from 20 seconds to 1 minute, which should significantly increase its tactical usefulness.

That's amazing. I'm really looking forward to using that.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 04:11:54 pm »
I hear you guys. We keep going back to ramming to try to figure out why it doesn't seem to be counting properly (because that's the real problem, not the action itself). I understand it's frustrating, and I'm sorry. We're taking one more look to investigate a possible bug with the way collision damage is applied. Stay tuned.

With buffing balloons, if that particular buff is perceived as not useful, that itself is a problem. I conferred with awkm, and we're going to raise the duration of the balloon buff from 20 seconds to 1 minute, which should significantly increase its tactical usefulness. Also, note that buffing the balloon does not automatically make you rise -- it reduces vertical drag, which means you can both rise and sink faster. If you rise suddenly when a balloon buff finishes, it's because you were holding down W at the time.

The issue with it (for me) is that because it reduces the drag, once you stop going up/down, your momentum keeps you moving up/down. At least that is my experience with it, and i lose a lot of control that way. Sorry to go off subject.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 04:26:21 pm »
I always control the end of an ascent/descent with a touch of opposite control - whether the balloon is buffed or not.  It's easy to over-/undershoot your target altitude.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:44:57 pm »
I always control the end of an ascent/descent with a touch of opposite control - whether the balloon is buffed or not.  It's easy to over-/undershoot your target altitude.

I admit its only when people dont tell me they are buffing it, so i hydrogen into space instead of my intended level. The "stickyness" of it though is, weird.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 10:11:02 pm »
...it lasts 20 seconds right now?  It feels way shorter than that.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 06:35:23 am »
...it lasts 20 seconds right now?  It feels way shorter than that.

I'm sure the visible deterioration in the buff bar is faster than 20 seconds.

Hmm.. maybe Clara and Awkm need another get-together to check that description and mechanic are matching up for another aspect of the game.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 04:22:44 pm »
Hmm, we'll take a look at the buff indicator. But we checked out collisions and definitely found a problem with the way damage was applied, sooo that should be fixed soon. A few other surprises with helm tools, too. There should be a more complete announcement of fixes in the next patch, but for right now, yeah, we found some things.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 04:41:00 pm »
Clara - do you mean you found some surprises with the way the helm tools were working as against the description/expectations, or that the next patch will contain a few surprises to players as regards changes to helm tools?

(and is the new patch scheduled for next week?)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 04:53:40 pm »
The way it's worded, it seems pretty clear she meant that Muse was surprised by the tools.  My guess is that at least the tar barrel will see some changes, possibly becoming a more effective defensive weapon than the ass terror it is now.  Rather than trail behind you, the tar spawns WELL behind you even when you're stationary or moving backwards, it's become my Pyramidion-mounted asshwacha.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:55:43 pm by Helmic »

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 06:51:19 am »
Ballon Buff lasts about 5 seconds if buff indicator is to be belived (it takes bout the same time to buff it as it tahes for the buff to wear off).

Hoora for click and hold buffing, couse my arm almost fell of when I was doing 800 buffs achievment (i think it's "One Hundret and Ten Percent"). It took me almost 2 months to het from level 8 engineer to level 9 engineer couse I'm stuck on some achievments.

Offline RaptorSystems

• Salutes: 6
    • [BFS]
    • View Profile
    • Fab Lab Adelaide
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 10:12:15 pm »
Whoever came up with this is a saddist : Extinguish fires on guns in CP.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 10:28:17 pm »
Whoever came up with this is a saddist : Extinguish fires on guns in CP.

Don't you DARE talk about that achievement. It took me two months. Seriously.

People don't play 3v3 often. And even when you do play 3v3, it's only CP half the time. And when you do play CP, hardly anybody has flamers. And when somebody brings flamers, they hardly ever use them on you. And when they do, they NEVER HIT THE GUNS. And when they do hit the guns, your teammates put the fires out first. Screw that achievement.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:56:55 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Richard P

• Salutes: 3
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
    • Fleet of Sodom blog
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 01:44:52 am »
Did you try ro ram a junker with your balloon? I crushed at least three parts with one strike, and maybe even more, I had 17/20 before the match and took this achievement immedeately. He got stuck in my ship (I think, it was also a junker, but I don't remember exactly) with it's hull, full of guns and engines, and after a second he left me alone with ruined balloon, nearly ruined hull and a nice new achievement.