Author Topic: Level inflation and "noob problem"  (Read 81128 times)

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Level inflation and "noob problem"
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 11:12:34 pm »
We don't need slow leveling, just a way to ensure that novices actually know the basics. In MMO terms, how to swing a sword or cast a spell.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 02:28:08 am »
None of you have ever played an MMO have you? The initial levels in those go real fast. It is meant to be that way to keep attention of the players. Leveling up however, is usually accompanied by flashes or special effects + music. It strokes the psyche of the player to think they've accomplished something.

You don't want slow leveling early on or you'll have people feeling like the game is ultra grindy and quitting.

Well, I've stated why this is, in my opinion, a huge problem for the game. If you want to stay in the "it's a MMO thing" zone then we need to drastically raise up novice lvl cap to around 15. Also, this is not an MMO and it shouldn't be treated as such. Adventure Mode should be something MMO-like, this is a ship-fighting co-op game with MMO elements. I believe that decreasing bonus XP by half will not slow down the game by this much to discourage people from the game. I would like to have another suggestion on how to solve this problem but I don't.

We don't need slow leveling, just a way to ensure that novices actually know the basics. In MMO terms, how to swing a sword or cast a spell.

Actually we need novice people to stay in novice matches for longer (and not join advanced matches). Whether we do it by decreasing lvling speed or raising novice lvl cap is a matter of debate. As I said - desolated "novice zone" is a problem that will backfire to us all

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 02:50:37 am »

A new player can know perfectly when to use a spanner or mallet, even know the magic that is chem spray...
But if they don't understand the most commonly used roles (Engineer, Gunner, Gungineer) then the player will do things such as perfectly buff, and pre-buff the ship, but in mid-combat because they don't realise they're meant to be shooting, when asked to shoot, the most common.reply I've had is "Oh but I'm a mechanic I fix stuff I don't shoot stuff" even if I explained roles in the lobby before hand and they agreed...

Main Engineers who repair balloons, while the ship is under gatling fire, a problem for Pyramidions, Junkers, goldfish, the mobula hull side engineer...

Gunners who don't repair their gun gun and start shooting other guns because "I don't fix things, I shoot stuff brah"

All things I have seen in public matches and helped teach players to avoid..

The point though is, you can know how to swing a sword and cast a spell, but if you cast firebolt on your ally or swing your sword at the brick wall, you'll not be overly effective, this is the guns learning curve.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 03:05:45 am »
Main Engineers who repair balloons, while the ship is under gatling fire, a problem for Pyramidions, Junkers, goldfish, the mobula hull side engineer...

Gunners who don't repair their gun gun and start shooting other guns because "I don't fix things, I shoot stuff brah"

All things I have seen in public matches and helped teach players to avoid..

Especially the gunners make my blood boil.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 04:52:30 am »
Had an engineer tonight who would stare at parts on fire then call out..."Hey the engines are on fire."

Another time..."Hey the hull is going to die."

"Balloon's dead."

Seriously, right next to the part, just watching it and doing nothing...he had a mic...listened...I'd be polite and say..."put it out!" or "fix it!"...but no, he still kept staring at parts...was a kid but still...stared at parts....

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 04:54:09 am »
I have a feeling this just turned into a "cats reacting to bad players" thread.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 05:00:17 am »
I have a feeling this just turned into a "cats reacting to bad players" thread.

Welcome to GoIo online community.
Just don't mention a munker when Gilder is around...
There's a scary wrestler whom I imagine Gilder looks like when helming a munker...

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 12:43:11 pm »
Maybe a system that would give you only 50% XP in Advanced matches when you were novice, and the game would tell you this whenever you join an advanced match as Novice? Something to persuade the Novices to level up in their match types to actually get rewarded with full advanced match powers.

This would probably be handled a different way if it would be added, of course.

Or maybe a report system in advanced matches for Advanced players? :P
As in, people above level 25 in any class can report novices in normal matches. If the Novice gets reported 5 times, he's stuck to Novice matches for a week (Or when he levels to 8).

Basically just my idea how to give "those" people a hint.

AKA the people who In the nicest way possible, probably got hit in the head as a infant repeatably Ignore all orders over text and voice chat you give, do super absurd actions that make no sense, even to most people who probably even hadn't played the game, and the ones who get on Portside guns when you're on a Metamidion.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 01:31:06 pm »
I emailed Muse about the leveling up system, they're going to evaluate how fast new players are able to level up, make sure its not too daunting, it also makes teaching levels 1-12 in practice match because by the time someone realises they could learn from the vets offering help they're at level 15-20 making the practice with.newbies achieve very hard!

Oh and I added a note on novice ship loadouts being questionable, although good for keeping engagements longer, they're teaching bad habits, for.example gat flak pyra, this teaches two weapons which work best at opposite ranges, I bored poor Matt to tears with the numbers of ranges and how to get the most out of a gat flak build, which no novice would ever do...
Although I did not suggest meta I suggested other builds.  8)

But yeah level up speed is going to be looked at. :)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 04:04:39 pm »
None of you have ever played an MMO have you? The initial levels in those go real fast. It is meant to be that way to keep attention of the players. Leveling up however, is usually accompanied by flashes or special effects + music. It strokes the psyche of the player to think they've accomplished something.

You don't want slow leveling early on or you'll have people feeling like the game is ultra grindy and quitting.

good. impatient people are the reason meat grinder exists.

Also novice does NOTHING as novices don't go to novice matches. They fill up pub and screw me over whenever I want to lvl up my piloting.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:06:38 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 04:09:25 pm »
Novice matches should be renamed to Goldshire...
Maybe that'll keep it more popular....
#Goldshire, the worst place to go in WoW...

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 04:24:08 pm »
I only got response that my suggestions will be forwarded to Eric.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 04:27:23 pm »
By the way, going a bit off topic here but

he still kept staring at parts...was a kid but still...stared at parts....

I hope that wasnt intentional.

heh.

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 04:29:31 pm »
It seems that ultimately we need two things for novice.

1. It is required. This could be achieved by making so that you cannot leave novice mode, unless you are invited to a game by a friend.

2. Stay in novice longer. There are multiple ways to do this. Raise level cap, or take away the 1000xp for winning (at least in novice matches) seem to be the most popular suggestions.

Bonus. A way to ensure the novices actually learned what they were supposed to. That is highest on my list, because even a lvl 2 can be good if s/he knows what s/he is doing.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 05:47:00 pm »
By the way, going a bit off topic here but

he still kept staring at parts...was a kid but still...stared at parts....

I hope that wasnt intentional.

heh.

Can you feel the maturity?