Author Topic: Guns of Icarus - League  (Read 80060 times)

Offline Pauldron Friks

• Salutes: 1
    • [LMB⚜]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus - League
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 06:31:00 pm »
As White Angel say:
This will definitly begin on next Saturday, signs up will close on Sat. 28 Feb. at 18:00 GMT+1, Map pool  + match generation will be streamed at 19:00.

And first rounds will begin on Saturday 21:00 GMT+1.

Schedule is a little flexible, each team can do their own hour at their conveniance if really needed. (Ex. 2 teams from US wish to battle at 21:00 local time, we will move it to this hour.)

But most of them will be on Saturdays and won't move unless both teams can't play at this hour.

And yes you can have subs .

Offline VVhite Angel

• Salutes: 11
    • [Flib]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 07:35:33 am »
Updating and confirming rules and the event start.

Event starts on 28th Feb. at 21:00 (GMT+1)
Signs up close on the 27th Feb. at 23:00 (ur own time) (Depending on ur timezone, we let US players signing up later with this system)

Map pool will be streamed and publish on website with matchs the day after and ~12h before the event start.
Matchs will take place at 21:00 / 21:30 / and may be extended to a third 22:00

Updating rules :
- Only 1 game of 20min max + 5min overtime (for both matchs against same team), 1 game goings, 1 game commings. You fight a single team : 2 times on the same map, with switching sides.
- Scoring : 3pts win, 1pt tie, 0pt loss, 1 bonus point for the will of fighting (if you lose with 3 or 4 kills or if you win with only 0 or 1 death). No bonus point if reaching the overtime.
- Behavior : Added if a team violates rules / or having bad behavior.
- Pause : Added

So this makes the events quicker to realize, basicly the event will last between 21:00 to 22:00, a light format where everyone can play against all others teams.
We wanted to reward teams that making the effort to fight until the end, the bonus point reward those who fights ! (feat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rkDKSkOA1es)

We hire ! Referees and Casters, are welcomed to take a part of this event.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:41:31 am by VVhite Angel »

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 09:04:51 am »
Some issues

Pause rules are the devil. There is no good way of mass communicating that a pause is in effect, momentum is a huge thing in this game, and it takes several seconds for everyone to actually just stop their ships. Also issues where pauses happen while a team is springing an ambush through a moving cloud are possible. Now you may say, well then a pause can't be used, however the very act of denying a pause gives away the team about to be ambushed that they are about to be ambushed.

The reason we had such exhaustive pause rules in the Hephaestus Challenge was because of how terrible pauses are on the flow of a game. I personally believe that any type of formal pause system in this game can't work until Muse gives ref powers. I'd suggest just encouraging "gentleman pauses." A team can ask the other team for a pause, and the other team at their own discretion can do so or not without any judgement passed.
---

20 minutes is in my mean old man opinion waaaaay too long to wait for a team to show up but it also goes contrary to the 5 minute lobby ruling. The best way to be nice to teams is by giving teams very set times so people can actually schedule their day around the event. A big part of the Hephaestus Challenge was making it so you literally only needed to budget the thirty minutes surrounding your match if so short on time. If you want to give a team 20 minutes, then do it on the reverse end, have match organizers getting in touch with the teams 20 or so minutes before they begin playing.
---

I personally don't like only having 12 hours to prepare for a match especially as an American who'd be getting that information in the wee hours of the morning.
---

Are map sides really that important on most maps? Only Fjords and Canyon are overly asymmetric and I would hardly call either spawn unbalanced. The last time I heard about a need to balance the spawns was back when there were random spawns and one of the Fjords spawns was so insanely forward that it was a common tactic to rush it, which was like a year ago.
---

No good could ever come out of points being arbitrarily given out for fighting well.
---
A few small things that may be oversights in the rules

- No Duel at Dawn, it is absent from the map pool
- Loss and loser (opposite of win and winner), not loose and looser (opposite of tight and tighter)

Offline MeSako

• [tEGs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 02:17:08 pm »
8 teams registered.. can this thing really work if teams dont sign up for it?

I mean, 4 leagues, 8 teams.. that is 2 teams per league.. ..

Anyway, are you guys advertising this anything besides these forums? Like, making posts on the Steam Forums, in-game global chat, or other places people like to meet..
Just a thought.

Offline Pauldron Friks

• [LMB⚜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 02:41:02 pm »
There is only one league open for this season .

We contact leaders, officers on GOIO. I've made a post on the steamgroups of GOI.

If anybody want to talk about The League you can add me on Steam :
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198101862157

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2015, 03:13:10 pm »
8 Teams seems fine for a single league, if this goes well I'm sure it'll grow over time.

Offline VVhite Angel

• [Flib]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 06:38:04 am »
8 Teams is a good size for making every match, decent number of match every Sat. that can be streamed and have referee.

Everything is going good at the moment.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 07:37:09 am »
So about my concerns?

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 07:40:48 am »
Do you really have 8 teams? I see a few 4 player teams in there. Are you counting those too?

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:20 am »
Do you really have 8 teams? I see a few 4 player teams in there. Are you counting those too?
there are 8 full teams after the one-crew teams have been paired up , counting the 4-man groups seperatly there are 11 groups (if I counted right at least)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 07:56:14 am »
What if all the pilots join a party with the referee, and the referee uses voice chat to call a pause?

what then.

Offline VVhite Angel

• [Flib]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 08:14:30 am »
So about my concerns?

Yes, pausing isnt really an action simple to do, because there are no tools ingame to do it. By the way, we already paused one time with Flib, and it wasnt so much pain.
We are confident about this one.

About timezoning, sign-up end, and match generating, 12 hours is a minimum and can be not enought for some people.
This only concern 1 or 2 match, entire league is build on several matchs that will do the final ranking.
Timezones will always be a pain too that we can't do without ...

But once the event begins, you will know (for most of matchs) some weeks in advance, who you gonna fight and on which map.
And we're a little "time restricted" about the next event that will come, thomas one, Hephaestus, etc etc ... we must start this saturday, or we would not have the time to complete the league.

About 20min match is a limit, for 1 match. We would like to let teams taking his time to build their attacks and not be under the pressure of a timer.

Btw we are very close to 8 teams. 1 team and a half is required (for this minimum) and we're not far from having thoses. Maybe a little more.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:17:34 am by VVhite Angel »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 09:41:11 am »
Assuming you reach 8-10 teams or so, do you have a rough estimate of how many weeks this will continue for? I still haven't heard anything about the time frame, and the Seasonal isn't planned all that long after this event begins.

Offline MeSako

• [tEGs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 12:07:01 pm »
"the Elder Gods (4 crew) – … (4 crew)"

I see this in the team line up on the homepage (yeah thats my clan), does the 2 (4 crew) on the line mean that we have been paired with one other 4 crew clan.. if so, what clan?
Where can I see what clan it is, couse all I see on all 3 teams  that look like that is three dots before the second (4 crew)..

Offline Pauldron Friks

• [LMB⚜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 12:29:08 pm »
It mean : 4 crew members we notice that error, it will be change soon.

Each team who sign-up with only 1 crew will be placed with another one when the sign-up will ends,
you will be the first informed with who.

If you have any question add me on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198101862157/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:30:44 pm by Pauldron Friks »