Author Topic: Guns of Icarus - League  (Read 80022 times)

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus - League
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 06:01:09 pm »
I do like the idea of being able to easily find combined teams. My pride keeps me from disbanding my clan, and however, I only have enough to field a single competitive ship. My clan's regulars would very much like to be able to get into the competitive scene.

Aerodrome was fun for a taste of that, even though it was much more casual than, say, Hephestus. I think this might help as well. I disagree that it'll be as much of a walk-over as you think, Jub. There's always the prospect of the clans tossed together practicing. They're not going to be entirely on par, but I don't think it's out of the question that a joint team can defeat a non-joint.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:07:04 pm by DrTentacles »

Offline Mysterious Medic

• Salutes: 35
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 06:52:41 pm »
Jub Jub, the thing about this league that I think makes it different from say, the Hephaestus or Sky League, is that it is a lot more new player friendly as far as I can tell. Unlike Hephaestus and Sky League which were all organized within the forums, this league has a website apart from the forums that seems pretty well organized. I think the forums are sort of intimidating for newer players but with this new site players will be able to see all the groups and such. Sky League was just not really a good tournament for newer players because at the beginning it was double elimination and then single elimination so newer teams basically played once, lost, and couldn't play again. Hephaestus was a little bit better, but often teams like TAW didn't really have a team on their level so they ended up just getting continuously 5-0'd. I'm hoping that teams who have not signed up for tournaments before will join this league and get paired up against equal teams that they won't get consistently destroyed by. Also, 404 has a new team that was in last weeks SCS, MM usually resurrects their old members to play in big events, and although cake has not been active I think they might be able to field the members. Besides that there are a lot of exciting new teams and clans that seem to be emerging from out of nowhere. When it comes to the combination teams I think they can just be seeded at the lower end depending on experience and honestly I know from experience that when you play with another clan long enough it's easy to start gelling pretty well with them.

All in all I'm confident with this new league if not only for it having its own website that's more friendly for people who aren't used to the forums. If we could somehow get this linked in the game events itself that would be a great advancement towards this leagues success. I'd really like MUSE to work out the leaderboards and maybe even implement a nice competitive section to interact with in the game but they are very busy at the moment with Co-op and the next patch. Newer players really need to be able to  easily see the competitive side of GOIO because I'm sure many would be interested but in reality fairly little even know about GOIO's competitive scene. Hopefully this league will serve as a step towards GOIO having a much bigger competitive scene.

Offline MiztaWildCard

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 08:33:23 pm »
Good on you Filibustiers.

Maybe think about using the system for lobbies of icarus.

1st team picks their 1st ship, it locks in. 2nd team picks both their ships, both locked in. 1st team chose their final ship.

This would hopefully stop the stalemates, back and forth and compromises pre match.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 09:18:38 pm »
Using only the forums for tournaments has definitely excluded a lot of players who would have been more interested otherwise. If there was a way for in game sign ups, that would be ideal. Having a completely separate site doesn't make this better, and could potentially exclude more teams who a little more suspicious of signing up on random sites. It adds an extra step to the whole process and that's generally a turn off for players. So I don't think that part has a positive effect, and potentially has a negative one. This may change over time. I know I was suspicious at first about even clicking the link, and I don't think I'd go to the effort of actually signing up a team unless I knew it was going to be decent.

I'm still on the fence about this League in a lot of ways. I still think it's a good idea that will grow and mature over time, but it's probably going to have a rough start; and is unlikely to see the emergence of fresh new faces that we'd love to see.

Offline VVhite Angel

• Salutes: 11
    • [Flib]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 07:03:32 am »
Yep the social link about competitive. Unless we get the opportunity to have tools to do it directly InGame, we are in the obligation to use forums, websites etc ...

By the way, ive reduced the fields (In the register form) to : Name of clan / Size / Points of contacts.
No need to enter email, or birthday date.

In the history of the videogames, Killzone 2 get his own tournament system directly InGame. Shows us its possible to have a good system for the competitive.

And yes the start well be hard, especially the next days. Unfortunatly, the start is the most important step for this league and will be conditionning its future. Ive put some money and some time to create it, i hope this going good... really.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 08:12:30 am »
By the way, ive reduced the fields (In the register form) to : Name of clan / Size / Points of contacts.

Clan does not equal team.

Offline VVhite Angel

• [Flib]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 09:04:00 am »

Clan does not equal team.

Yup my bad, some are signing up as Team, some others as Clans, depends on their size or wish.
But thefirst thing i was mentionning was the will to do something clear, quick and user friendly.

Offline VVhite Angel

• [Flib]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:22 am »
Updating teams, all can be found here : http://goio-league.com/all-results/

Offline Celti

• Salutes: 12
    • [C¤P]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 03:18:05 pm »
Will probably sign up in the next few days  ;)

Offline VVhite Angel

• [Flib]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 03:22:18 pm »
Will probably sign up in the next few days  ;)

Great :)

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 03:24:06 pm »
Unless something changes radically, I wouldn't count on us Merry Men to be involved (we're pretty much inactive).

Offline VVhite Angel

• [Flib]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 04:47:32 am »
Unless something changes radically, I wouldn't count on us Merry Men to be involved (we're pretty much inactive).

No problem, that is normal.
Feel free to come back if something change.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
Also just noticed the 15 minute time limit; that seems arbitrarily short and could honestly be a deterrent for some people. Some of the best competitive matches I've ever played in lasted upwards of an hour or so. Of course I know these can be boring to watch, so I understand imposing a 30 minute timer or something, but 15 minutes is very limiting.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 12:10:55 pm »
Also just noticed the 15 minute time limit; that seems arbitrarily short and could honestly be a deterrent for some people. Some of the best competitive matches I've ever played in lasted upwards of an hour or so. Of course I know these can be boring to watch, so I understand imposing a 30 minute timer or something, but 15 minutes is very limiting.

15 minutes is more than enough for most maps. Of course times tend to go long when both teams want to camp or they both circle; or even if they both try to go for extreme long ranges. I believe the SCS uses a loose 15 minute limit (with a limited pool of overtime). The Hephaestus used a 30 minute hard time limit, but they only did a best of one.

I believe this tournament does two matches between teams (Each one plays red and blue sides), so 30 minutes might make it go excessively long. 15-20 per match sounds pretty reasonable.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2015, 03:18:10 pm »
Not finding any info on exact times for matches.

I can't let my team join until I get this information so I can ascertain who can actually make these matches.

Also in regards to subs within the team. Are we allowed any or is the crew permalocked upon registration?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:31:14 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »