Author Topic: The Community Video Tutorial Project  (Read 43589 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
The Community Video Tutorial Project
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:34:29 pm »
As Omniraptor suggested - I'm making a thread regarding a set of video tutorials we would like to hopefully make. I say we - the community. I'd really like Muse to patronage it in 'some' point and in longer perspective for videos to be community and Muse approved so they are kind of official - either put into the game or with links into the game (it can be just link to the forum thread).

I think that firstly we have to think about 'how' theese tutorials should look like, create general categories and perhaps some basic scripts.

I think it could be something like:

- Basic UI
- Basic Engineering (for all classes)
- Game Modes
- How not to be blocked - miniguide

- Engineering 101 (basic engineering stuff with fire extinguisher)
- Engineering 102 (engineering with parkour and ship shortcuts)
- Engineering Advanced (optional to make maybe - engineering with chem circles)

- Piloting 101 (basic piloting without any tools)
- Piloting 102 (piloting with tools: moonshine, kerosene, phoenix claw)
- Piloting 103 (piloting with rest of the tools)
- Piloting Advanced (optional, most used pilot tricks and tips)

- Gunning 101 (review of most commonly used guns)
- Gunning 102 (review of least commonly used guns)
- Gunning 103/ Gunning Advanced / Ammo Guide (ammo guide)

But it's just idea from top of my head. Let's talk about it and use the best ideas.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Video Tutorial Project
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:58:26 pm »
I think that first of all we all must gather most common stupid mistakes made by newbies and base on that.

My examples:
- "Fuck you I know better" attitude
- Hurr durr galleon best ship many many big gunz MORE DAKKA
- Incindiaries - a remedy for everything
- "Oh, putting those one shot great dee-em-gee bullet in my gatling WHAT CAN GO WRONG, I HAVE MOAR DAKKA"
- Rebuilding anything with mallet...
- ...or bloody buff hammer...
- Captaining below having sum of levels in gunner and engie lower than 30 or even more in current system
- OH I'LL FLY IN DOUBLE-GATLING TRIFECTA, IT'S PERFECT IDEA CYKA, YOU AMERYKANSKA NOOB CYKA CAN'T ENGIE RIGHT CAUSE WE DIE

As for the graphical convention...
Pure gameplay might seem a bit boring. I'd suggest inserting some simple cartoonish images in form of on-screen comics, voiced by some players ( in terms of graphic: something like this: http://youtu.be/V3hT3iFcsZg?t=30s - sorry it's in polish, but it's just to illustrate my vision ), and make a sort of short funny comics, put in film, to break the monotony of sheer gameplay.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:03:21 pm »
- OH I'LL FLY IN DOUBLE-GATLING TRIFECTA, IT'S PERFECT IDEA CYKA, YOU AMERYKANSKA NOOB CYKA CAN'T ENGIE RIGHT CAUSE WE DIE

Gatling trifecta is AWESOME

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »
Now imagine russian captain flying in between TWO gat trifectas - KNOW MY PAIN, I WAS ENGINEER THERE.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:46:57 pm »
I think one of the most important tutorials is missing from that list.

Communications 101: How to talk in lobbies and matches (keys and expectations). Why it is important to use a mic if you can.

Communications 102: When to talk and what information to convey. AKA, the "clear the air" talk.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:51:45 pm »
Communications 101: How to talk in lobbies and matches (keys and expectations). Why it is important to use a mic if you can.

I thought about the same - and I reminded myself this

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 06:51:56 pm »
While a tutorial series would be great, I would be happy just to see a functional crew working together. Too many GOIO vidios are of complete noobs giving the game the PewDiePie treatment with no real understanding of the game systems or an individual's roll on the ship.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:18:37 pm »
If you guys need any thing from me, I'm around and willing to help /o/

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 07:25:23 pm »
I can't really contribute anything beyond writing to this project my play time is very limited and my computer is too old to capture any video. I could write a script if we could find people to act it out/read it.

I was thinking about "Intro to the Meditation." Including ship setup, each person's roll on the ship, and a player's view of common game play on that ship from each roll.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:29:26 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 08:02:31 pm »
While a tutorial series would be great, I would be happy just to see a functional crew working together. Too many GOIO vidios are of complete noobs giving the game the PewDiePie treatment with no real understanding of the game systems or an individual's roll on the ship.

I have to agree here... the video tutorials for the basics are there, maybe a few videos to elaborate on the basics..
but the main thing to push forward are things such as Roles, communication and cycles, Chem cycles in an operating crew, buff cycles in an operating crew, the importance of the main engineer informing the buff engineer of buffs going low. Gunning Gungineering and captaining in an operating crew.

For different ships too! not just one operating team on a pyramidion, because then the pyra becomes more used than now...
Perhaps even avoid the pyra.
I'd suggest it to be done on less used, but still useable ships in combat.
Junker - The tank for newer players. (Not the Galleon!)
Goldfish - The hit and run ship. (Not squid)
(If used) - The pyramidion. (The attack ship, not the spire.)

Record a tutorial for overall team play, roles and communication on board a [insert ship here.]
Being an effective gungineer on a [ship here]
Being an effective gunner on a [ship here]
Being an effective engineer on a [ship here]
Being an effective Captain on a [ship here]

I must stress we should not label the pilot as a pilot but put emphasis on the pilot being a captain, it would help encourage the partial leadership role needed by a pilot to help keep people doing things at the right time...
For example an effective captain would co-ordinate with his crew and co-pilot and call out targets, giving a reason for why X-target.
"Engaging the Goldfish to aid ally."
"Target Junker first, he is our bigger threat and the Pyramidion is out of it's range."

The point of avoiding the basics is to avoid time wasted on things which can already be found on Steam guides and basic tutorials.
Except basic communications, that should be added as mentioned above.

Additional, I'd be happy to fill a pilot slot if you need me. PM me here or on steam (Kamoba)

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:05:00 pm »
I really like this idea! I can't capture game play because my computer is too low quality but I'm great at "administrative" things and more than willing to help write or play in any of the video's where it is needed.
I'd suggest a few things Distaser if this project actually moves forward.
   1) A steam group so everyone can keep up with discussion and you can put "events" on a calendar (Filming Communication 101) (Writing Engineering 101) and the people interested can all form up on a teamspeak or a custom lobby (so the lobby timer isn't there) and brain storm and work together. Also a steam group gives everyone access to a list of who's working on the project
   2) I didn't see one, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a GunsOfIcarus YouTube channel. (I know they have a twitch) So, when a new player or someone that's interested in the game searches youtube for videos of game play it comes up with all the pewdiepie and yogscast videos that don't know how to play. We should create a Official GunsOfIcarus youtube channel (well unofficial till Muse gets involved). This way it would be an easy SINGULAR location for Mods, Ca's and other player to send a new player to learn this information.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:29 pm »
Great ideas kitty, I would also suggest a simple wiki to write scripts and other ideas together.

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:05:40 am »
   2) I didn't see one, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a GunsOfIcarus YouTube channel. (I know they have a twitch) So, when a new player or someone that's interested in the game searches youtube for videos of game play it comes up with all the pewdiepie and yogscast videos that don't know how to play. We should create a Official GunsOfIcarus youtube channel (well unofficial till Muse gets involved). This way it would be an easy SINGULAR location for Mods, Ca's and other player to send a new player to learn this information.

Muse has a YouTube channel, but it isn't Guns of Icarus exclusive: https://www.youtube.com/user/MuseGames/videos
Also found some old tutorial videos on that channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVxhmoAIyA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCHOu_kuKCs

If somebody contacts Muse about their interest of making tutorials, Muse might just upload it for them on that channel or create an actual Guns of Icarus channel and upload it there.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:41:10 am »
A guns of Icarus youtube channel could a place to officially upload SCS, and dev fireside chat too. Give the game more outreach maybe?

Offline Marza

• Salutes: 2
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 06:52:53 am »
I logged in just to say that this is a very good idea. I've been lurking the forums for just over a year and it seems this idea has been on the drawing board for some time now without being fully realised. Creating some video tutorials and giving it exposure can't be a bad thing. The worst that can happen is people don't watch it.

Make this idea happen :)