Author Topic: Ship Names  (Read 47787 times)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Names
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 02:44:18 pm »
Well, I don't even play much as a pilot. But sure, whatever:

Pyramidion: Furry
Try to Google it in graphics. I dare you.

Spire: Foxy
I like foxes. Not some zoo- stuff though, I'm not into that kind of things.

Mobula: Kitsune
Like I said before, I like foxes. And what's better than fox spirit taking form of cute girl, seducing you and stealing your life essence? Totally worth it if you ask me.

Goldfish: Neko
You know... cats. Catgirls. Stuff and thangs. Don't judge me, I'm weird ok?

Junker: Daniel
Named after Amnesia: The Dark Descent main character, I swear.

Squid: Brzęczyszczykiewicz
Don't even try to spell it. You won't be able to. And that's why I named it so. It's a reference to a movie How I unleashed World War II, specifically scene where main character Franciszek Dolas tries to fool SS officer with fake identity. Just copy+paste it in YouTube.

Galleon: Onii-chan
It's big. Protective. Just like girl's older brother. Considering that girls in anime often call brothers onii-chan and IT HAS FOUR CANONS READY TO UNLEASH HELL AND DESTROY THE VERY ESSENCE OF YOUR PATHETIC LIFE, I thought it'd be the best name for it.

Totally, TOTALLY worth it.

Also, Salute for Onii-Chan.  Love it.

Offline Jub Jub

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 29
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 09:13:10 pm »
I'll bite, sounds fun. All of my ships are named after Roman gods and goddesses.

All of my ships have a "RAS" designation, standing for Roman Air Ship (roleplay thing for my clan), but anywho: 

Goldfish: RAS Minerva: Minerva is the Goddess of Wisdom, Strategy, etc (whole bunch of other things). Personally the Goldfish requires the most strategy to fly effectively (except the Squid). So I saw this as a fitting name.

Pyramidion: RAS Vulcan: Vulcan is the God of Fire, Metallurgy, and the Forge. Forging Metal > Hammer on Anvil > Ramming > Pyramidion...That's about it. Also my favorite Pyra build used to be Flamer/Carro forward (before the flamethrower buff).

Junker: RAS Neptune: Neptune is the God of the Sea and Earthquakes. While neither have much to with airships, the Junker is certainly the ship that resembles this deity most to me.
           RAS Bacchus: Junker is the only one of my ships that has two different "official" names. The RAS Bacchus is the name of my "mine Junker". Bacchus was the God of Parties/Celebrations (as well as Wine). Mine ship > Party > Bacchanal!

Galleon: RAS Mars: Mars is the God of War. Galleons are large Warships. That's really about it for the reason.

Mobula: RAS Pluto: Pluto is the God of the Underworld/the Dead. Mobulas are finicky, but incredibly deadly when flown/crewed correctly. Plus Pluto is just such a cute name for such a strange, derpy (yet lovable) looking ship.

Spire: RAS Diana: Diana is the Goddess of the Hunt, this ship's first load-out was a Merc/twin Gats/ and a Heavy Flak. A long/mid range eviscerating kill-ship. The ship's loadouts have changed since then, but the name has stuck.

Squid: RAS Mercury: Mercury was the "Messenger of the gods", seemed like a fitting name for the fastest ship in the game.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 10:07:07 pm »
TFW Jub Jub-senpai notices your thread

Yeah, my Goldie has 3 names; HMCS Gold Rush, HMCS And He's OK, and HMCS Champagne.  Gold Rush because barrage of golden rockets rushing at your ship, And He's OK because Lumberjack and Monty Python, and Champagne because what does champagne do?  It pops the cork.  Hellhound also pops.

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 12:01:04 am »
My ship names change frequently, but at the moment they are all songs by Jimi Hendrix

Squid (never fly it, but it deserves a name): Hey Joe

Galleon: Little Wing

Pyramidion: Purple Haze

Mobula: Killing Floor

Junker: Motherless Child

Goldfish: Spanish Castle Magic

Spire: Fire

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 12:36:09 am »
Most of my ships are dog-themed because DAGZ, with the exception of my Junker. I'll keep this short and save descriptions for my Junker.

Squid - The Pekingese
Galleon - The Shepherd
Pyramidion - The Bloodhound
Spire - The Daschunde (A dog I despise and a ship I like even less. Go f**k dem sausage dagz.)
Mobula - The Barking Basset (She's loaded with Banshees and Hades, goes in loud every time~)
Goldfish - The Dogfish (Is it a dog, a fish, or a dogfish?!)
And finally...
Junker - The Ballistic
I pride myself in running an effective long-range ship, and The Ballistic definitely does the job well. Its name is inspired both by the role it plays and the song Velocity Shift by Overseer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJID7VLUDM

I can't help but play it whenever I'm at the helm of my Junker, which might contribute to the fact that I can never hear a damn thing my crew says to me.

Offline Mysterious Medic

• Salutes: 35
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 12:57:05 am »
Eh, why not. Although, I have to admit that sometimes when I name a ship after an African general, it's just because his name sounds cool  ;)

Pyramidion: Ulfberht- strongest viking sword, there are a few good documentaries about how ahead of its time it was. I've named my Pyramidion after it mainly because of its known ability to thrust through shields (poke poke hehe).

Goldfish: Mansa Musa- one of the richest emperors of all time, he ruled over Mali during the peak of its wealth. Essentially, the Goldfish looks very regal in appearance, almost like the expensive car of the Icarus world. I like to imagine I'm just carrying sacks and sacks of merchant gold on this ship.

Junker: Lex Celera/Ignis Ferrumque/Dolly's Hoax Celery- There was a point very early on in my piloting career where I named ships in Latin (This was a while before SPQR was a thing though  ;D). The first was Lex Celera, which means "swift justice". Back in those days before the nerf it was mainly a triple artemis junker, because really what justice is more swift than having all your components taken out as your armor slowly dies and you can't do anything about it? The next addition was the Ignis Ferrumque which means "Fire and Sword", as with this build (hades art art) the "Fire" was the hades and the "Sword" was the artemis. Finally, most recently it was called "Dolly's Hoax Celery" because Daniel reinvented his Hoax clan we all joined and Dolly thought "Celera" sounded too similar to celery.

Mobula: Luna Descendens- this ship changed names a few times but this name is mainly a play on Hillerton's "Solis Ortum" which means Rising Sun. We were practicing on Fjords or something and I decided to take a mobula to compliment his Pyra and I decided to call it the "Falling Moon" in latin. It also makes sense as the Mobula has a lot of white space and it has plenty of vertical acceleration so the "moon is falling on you" so-to-speak hehe.

Galleon: Nkunda- named after the African general. Not much to say other than it sounded cool and scary. I think he may or may not be accused of war crimes....

Squid: Kabila- African general again. Still sounds cool. War crimes...?

Spire: An Bas- I'm not entirely sure what it was called before this, but at some point before the light flak buff, me and Geo were in a lumber spire and I decided to add a hades and two flaks (sorta semi-inspired by Crafeksterty's Hwacha Hades-flak-flak spire). While were playing in pubs since the two flaks killed so quickly, someone called it the "Death ship" or something to that effect in match chat, so I decided to look up the what the grim reaper was in Celtic, and came up with this name. Turns out, google was wrong, and someone told me this ship actually means "Grim Reaper Fish". We thought it was funny so I kept the name.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:04:42 am by Mysterious Medic »

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 08:13:00 am »
I rarely ever pilot, but I might as well contribute a bit.

Squid-
My most flown ship, formerly known as 'Firefly' - a squid with two flamethrowers that became horribly op with that one patch that broke flamers. Since then I changed it to a flamer banshee, and changed the name to Agile Seafood. Thought it was quite fitting for a squid.

Galleon-
It is baring the goddess decal and the royal theme, and is named RTR. Which is the initials for the Royal Tank Regiment of the British army, it is fancy and royal enough for the British and quite tanky to be in the Royal Tank Regiment.

Pyramidion-
With mainly flying a double mercury pyramidion, my pyramidion is efficient in cutting deep into the armor. It is named Higonokami.
Higonokami is a type of Japanese knife, and as I decorated my pyramidion to be of eastern look, I thought it was fitting to call a double mercury like that.

Higonokami knife-

Spire-
The spire is a spin on my IGN, Extirminator. taking the Ex from it and adding the spire - to get Ex-Spired.
It both signifies the expiration of the spire as a valid competitive ship, and the expiration of the enemy if flown correctly.

Mobula-
My mobulas  usually consist of some mines, which with it's immense firepower capabilities, I decided to name my mobula Operation Crossroads. Operation crossroads was an experimental operation of the US for underwater nuclear mines. With immense firepower and mines, the mobula resembled it quite a bit.

Nuclear testing in operation crossroads near the island of Bikini.

Goldfish-
My goldfish is usually a carronade/lumberjack front, with support of a mine. The idea is to pop the enemy balloon, and then mine them from above.
I decided to call my goldfish with this tactic in mind- Ranken Dart. The Ranken Dart is an ammo type used in WW1 by the british, against German Zepplins. it was a heavy bomb with a sharp face to penetrate the balloon. It was dropped from bombers above the zepplins, to penetrate the balloon and then detonate inside of it, to cause heavy damage. Which is exactly the purpose of the build I use -  popping the balloon, and detonating explosives from above.

Ranken dart bombs-

Junker-
My primary junker build is a double flamer side, and gat mortar on the other side. Which leads to very messy and brutal engagements. With the addition of the materials and style that the junker is built, it is a very improvised, highly lethal flying weapon platform. I decided to call my Junker Guerrilla warfare because of those facts.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:15:48 am by Extirminator »

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 08:45:40 am »
Didn't the CASTLE BRAVO thermo-nuke blow up most of Bikini?

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 09:26:44 am »
Didn't the CASTLE BRAVO thermo-nuke blow up most of Bikini?
Castle Bravo was a part of Operation Castle and was detonated in 1954. Operation Crossroads was before Castle, it was in 1946.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 10:18:41 am »
Thank you for the clarification.   :)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 11:00:07 am »
Eh, why not. Although, I have to admit that sometimes when I name a ship after an African general, it's just because his name sounds cool  ;)

Galleon: Nkunda- named after the African general. Not much to say other than it sounded cool and scary. I think he may or may not be accused of war crimes....

Squid: Kabila- African general again. Still sounds cool. War crimes...?

Laurent Nkunda is a Tutsi general who began his career in the Rwandan genocide. His story is a little complicated. In summary, he's been indicted of war crimes by the Congolese governments, and he's been accused of recruiting child soldiers.

Laurent-Desire Kabila or Joseph Kabila, who are father and son, is related to Laurent Nkunda. Laurent-Desire Kabila fought alongside Nkunda during the Rwandan genocide. Story is also complicated, but he became the president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, got assassinated, and his son Joseph Kabila took over. Nkunda disliked Joseph, openly rebelled against him, and that "led" to Nkunda's war crimes. No war crimes as far as I know.

Story is really complicated. I am no expert. I know this much because social studies project on human rights and wikipedia.

In summary, Nkunda - war criminal, Kabila - past and present president of Congo.

Btw, this is Nkunda

and this is father Kabila and son Kabila

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 11:12:16 am »
All after sky ships from the Edge Chronicles

Galerider - Pyramidion

Fogscythe - Spire

Windcutter - Mobula

Cloudbreaker - Goldfish

Edge Dancer - Squid

The Great Sky Whale - Galleon

This is a Cloud Eater (sky whale)

Except for

Stormhornet - Junker

Which is a skycraft

Serriously, you should read these books!

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 06:55:04 pm »
Wow geo. That looks amazing. :o

Offline Alistair Marlowe

• Salutes: 5
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 08:07:21 pm »
My ships carry the signifier M.A.F. which stands for Mechanicsburg Airship Fleet.  It's referencing the location from Girl Genius, a webcomic of which I am rather a fan.

Names from most to least played:

Squid:  M.A.F. Highwind -- Homage to Cid's airship from FF7
Galleon:  M.A.F. Inglorious -- Has a decent ring to it, and naming my ship roughly 'bringer of disgrace' amuses me
Junker:  M.A.F. Blaidd Drwg -- Welsh for Bad Wolf, a Doctor Who ref I couldn't resist adding.
Goldfish:  M.A.F. Steel Dragon -- First ship I named, mainly because I use the metal dragon figurehead with it.  If I fly it more, it'll likely be renamed M.A.F. Cherenkov, because science!!  However, I'd have to dye it blue.
Pyramidion:  M.A.F. Totentanz -- Dance of Death, as any dance involving a pyra would be
Spire:  M.A.F. Thunderhead -- I don't really play it enough to identify it with anything, but it hangs out in clouds and wrecks stuff.  Stormcloud it is!
Mobula:  M.A.F. Troubadour -- Mobula strikes me as a trade and travel vessel, and this was about the only thing I could think of that also sounded appropriately cool.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 11:29:49 am »
Hey, share me a bite, damn you!

My ship names don't quite represent any colorful themes, songs or shows or anything. Nor are they names with no meaning but with the intent of aesthethic pleasure. Mostly they represent my thoughts on them.

Pyramidion: St. Glaswegian Kiss - Back when I was a novice I had an affection for the whole ramming business with pyra, an affection of which I still uphold to this day. Inspired by that I first named it FS Glorious Headbutt, it lasted until the end of my novice days in which a friend enlightened me to this british/scott slang, and that's what it is. Glaswegian Kiss is a headbutt with the literal intent to break someone's face. In my case, a junker's broadside.

Spire: Tourist Attraction - "Ahoy! Welcome to Icarus. How'd you like a mercury through your hull? Or twenty-four hwachas jamming on y'er broadside? Perhaps you'd like to see our assortment of mines? Your choice. Wait, you're dead, nevermind then, your opinion ain't relevant anymore." Yeah. That's how you describe a Tourist Attraction. I either go seriously close or seriously long range with this ship. It's also a reference to how often Spire is prone to being focused on in a 2v2 situation.

Mobula: Bittersweet Skies -  Now, I had a slightly hard time coming up with something for this. At first I wanted to name it Moby Dick, a reference to a Led Zeppelin song. But you know, Muse's profanity filters didn't like that. Guess which one they gave their big no's to? (That's right, Moby.) So I looked up another song, this time it was "Moby Lift Me Up", I thought it'd fit with the vertical nature of the ship but I didnt think of changing it to this until I spent my last brown dye on it. Yeah, bittersweet.

Goldfish: Swimmin' in Skies - I had the hardest time coming up with literally anything for this ship. Daddy Glamorous, Mother o' the Winds, and you can pretty much tell I came up with this soon after Bittersweet Skies. It's a clear reference of an actual Goldfish and the way the ship itself swims flies majestically through the maps.

Junker: Bag of Chips - Self explanatory. No, really. I came up with this on a day where I haven't had my regular does of potato chips, that's about it.

Squid: Greasy Dream - "Does a squid jet like a dream? Or does it... JET LIKE A SQUID!? Well why not both? ''Cause they boil grease all over the main deck like a darn garden hose every night. But if Janitor's your thing then..."

Galleon: Industrial Nightmare - Clearly the opposite of squid both in name and stats. This was one of the harder ones to come up. I didnt wanna go the stereotypical "skywhale" path, nor did I wanna name it Big Lebowski, a name I had seen earlier which reminded me of a movie that almost slipped through my memory. I started out with "Puny Pride of Yesha." I liked it because it was a reference to the Yeshan Empire from our canon, and it could work both ways: The name could either be a bunch of raiders making fun of the empire, or it could be a formidable weapon of Yesha that it's captain doesn't take a liking in glorifying it. I came up with Greasy Dream at a completely seperate time and looking at galleon for hundreds of times, I've finally had a name I liked. Industrial refers to the overall steampunky design of it's interior. Nightmare refers to not only it's power but also the fact that I've it painted dark blue and have a jolly rodger decal on the balloon.