Author Topic: Mine Launcher  (Read 47765 times)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mine Launcher
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 05:45:51 am »
If they're neutral, though, that'll just make them really popular for griefing which is problematic for a game with no kick function.  And this is friendly fire a GUNNER can do, you don't need the captain slot to grief friendly ships, that's a new one.  Even if you aren't griefing, it makes it really easy for a quickjoiner to accidentally piss off everyone.

I don't know what to think of these yet.  You have to remember that it's a light gun and there's a lot of ships with "useless" light gun slots.  The top right slot on a Spire?  You bet the Pewter Piper is going to be putting a mine launcher up there.  This is a gun that doesn't have to be pointed at the enemy to be useful (though not in the horrible way that personal anti-ship weapons would be) and can be prepped when the engineers are bored.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're designed with that in mind, something to add a little extra damage in exchange for whatever utility you would have gotten out of a flamethrower or flaregun or banshee but nothing to actually turn the tide of battle.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:18 pm »
  • It's a small weapon.
  • We want it to come out by the end of the month.  It's tight though, we have a lot of content coming out.  If it does come out at the end of the month, expect it to be rebalanced several times after release since testing time will be short.
  • Those old numbers posted are accurate, but accurate as far as the last time I touched them.  Take them with a grain of salt.
  • There will be some kind of cap on number of mines you can have.  Maybe it'll be by ship, by gun, I don't know.  Zill is right, it's a huge strain on our server and your computer.
  • You'll be able to shoot mines down, as in they will slowly drop until exploding on the floor or whatever else is below them.  Unclear if I want you to be able to snipe explode them.  AoE damage and ripple effect is unclear.  An entire minefield exploding is a huge strain on server and your computer so I'm going to avoid it if possible.
  • I've always wanted Friendly Fire as an optional feature in the game.  So far, mines are owned by your team.  So no FF.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:04:38 pm by awkm »

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 01:05:44 pm »
I dont see mines increasing the sniping game.
Most sniping builds have a sniping side and a short to mid range side.  Replacing a gun with a mine launcher will alter that balance. 
Yes galleons can put them on the back and I'm sure other sniping ships will find a niche for them but when are you going to set up this mine field?  Snipers line up their shots as soon as a dunes match starts. If the don't then the enemy can close the gap easier.
I see some players who once had merchs on the side now using trifecta pyramids with mines on the back left.  I also see Squids players who don't really use their back gun as much choosing mines instead of merchs.

and on a anti-sniping side note:
KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE AND THE LONG RANGE SIDE OF YOUR ENEMIES CLOSER!

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
awkm, thanks for the insight.  You have to answer this one question for me though.  Will you be able to harpoon mines??????

This probably won't get much use in the cogs but it would be insanely fun to tow and fling mines across the match in pub games and things like junker fight club, harpoon squidding matches etc.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 01:06:30 pm »
That city map looks awesome.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »
awkm, thanks for the insight.  You have to answer this one question for me though.  Will you be able to harpoon mines??????

That... is interesting.

The reason why they're always stationary is to reduce performance implications of 40+ potential mines out in the scene at once... you know detecting all their collisions.  However, if they only move with harpoons.... hmmmmm.....

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 12:50:39 pm »

That... is interesting.

The reason why they're always stationary is to reduce performance implications of 40+ potential mines out in the scene at once... you know detecting all their collisions.  However, if they only move with harpoons.... hmmmmm.....

Wouldnt wind move them as well?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:09 pm »
Attaching a ball of spikes to an Airship with a string. Then flying around in a reckless manner, I like where this is headed:

Offline Connor Mc.

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 03:51:46 pm »
Why not tie helicopters to the bottoms of our airships? and on the bottoms of the helicopters we hang spike balls?

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 04:28:21 pm »
Why not tie helicopters to the bottoms of our airships?

That would make falling off very messy..

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:26 pm »

Not to mention what would happen when the balloon goes down.

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 05:52:49 pm »
Mines moving in the wind.. that could lead to some interesting tactics. Send a bunch of mines in behind a Scrap sandstorm... hmm... lochanagar mines, harpoon dragging.. hurry up! I wanna test some stuff :D

Offline JaceBoojah

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 07:04:59 pm »
They are taking this april fools stuff too seriously

Offline Connor Mc.

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 09:29:46 pm »

Not to mention what would happen when the balloon goes down.

an incentive to keep the balloon from popping?