Author Topic: Mine Launcher  (Read 47684 times)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Mine Launcher
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:58:20 am »
Quote from: AMA
awkm Muse Games 8 points 21 hours ago
Heck yes! We're always adding new content. The next gun is a Mine Launcher. Imagine shooting a bunch of mines that float in the air. You can try to avoid them or be sneaky and shoot their balloons down to make them drop... or you can shoot mines you laid yourself to drop them on enemies :D Maybe hide them in clouds? So many possibilities.

From the AMA. Discuss new strategies.

I can't wait to put these on a squid.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:00:01 am by Keon »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
Re: Mine Launcher
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:06:56 am »
It adds a different aspect to the sniper game in the way of defending approaches, thats for sure. 

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:19 am »
Yea just what we need, more reasons to snipe...

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:11:44 am »
I'm interested in seeing the Meta for this weapon.... this would be a great weapon for Duel, or Canyon ambush, but I doubt we will see much use on Dunes or fjords

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:01 am »
That looks like a heavy weapon, judging the size of it. If it isn't, then a bifecta of these light guns could definitely weave a web in Canyon.

If the mines last forever, and there is no limit to them, I could see some abuse happening. If the mines don't last very long, its effectiveness would be severely cleaved. Until I know more about these things, I don't think I could make good strategic ideas- if it litters a ton of quick, small-damaging bombs, its use would be extremely different if it was instead a slow-firing, small clip gun.

If these bombs were affected by ammo, then floating charged mines and floating incendiary mines would cause serious problems to people flying into them, and would have to be avoided like the plague.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
If these bombs were affected by ammo, then floating charged mines and floating incendiary mines would cause serious problems to people flying into them, and would have to be avoided like the plague.

Holy Goldfish Batman! Lochanagar mines...... muahahahahahaha

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:18:45 am »
Any comment from Awkm as to whether the stats are the same as he accidentally released a while ago?

(I can see this being used on all maps.. on Dunes herding someone into a dust storm, on Fjords putting a ceiling over the low ambush point or blocking an arch)

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:59 am »
Copied from the old forum (link to previous discussion)

Quote from: PIckle
Mine Launcher, 350 Impact, 150 Piercing, 80 AoE radius, 30 Clip, 20 second Reload, no Range listed.

Is it a heavy weapon or a light weapon?

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:21:36 am »
Holy Goldfish Batman! Lochanagar mines...... muahahahahahaha

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:23:18 am »
I cant see them lasting forever else that would put a serious strain on the match itself in terms of loading assets. If they do, then there had better be a limit. One or the other is really a must for it to be balanced out in my opinion.

I was told at first it was heavy, but then scaled back to a light weapon for better use. I mean, who's going to put a mine launcher on the front of a goldfish as the main gun?

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 11:29:24 am »
I cant see them lasting forever else that would put a serious strain on the match itself in terms of loading assets. If they do, then there had better be a limit. One or the other is really a must for it to be balanced out in my opinion.

I was told at first it was heavy, but then scaled back to a light weapon for better use. I mean, who's going to put a mine launcher on the front of a goldfish as the main gun?
If it happens to be a light gun, then what happens if a Junker goes all mine launcher? Would there be a cap to the total amount of mines on the stage, and therefore, make it useless because it would hit the mine limit very quickly? Or would each gun have its own mine limit? Wouldn't that put a whole lot of strain on the server?
Would the mine limit be shared by both teams, so a team could abuse this by constantly destroying old mines?
Could this be used as an actual gun? Or does it simply deploy a mine that the ship would have to fly away from? If it could be used as a projectile, it could be viable to use on a Goldfish, I suppose.

Lots'o questions.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 11:34:45 am »
If it happens to be a light gun, then what happens if a Junker goes all mine launcher? Would there be a cap to the total amount of mines on the stage, and therefore, make it useless because it would hit the mine limit very quickly? Or would each gun have its own mine limit? Wouldn't that put a whole lot of strain on the server?
Would the mine limit be shared by both teams, so a team could abuse this by constantly destroying old mines?
Could this be used as an actual gun? Or does it simply deploy a mine that the ship would have to fly away from? If it could be used as a projectile, it could be viable to use on a Goldfish, I suppose.

Lots'o questions.

And probably why the only real info we have on it is "Its Coming." They may not even know yet, haha.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:15 am »
Lots'o questions.

And probably why the only real info we have on it is "Its Coming." They may not even know yet, haha.

Agreed. Muse has made many 'standard' weapons, which I appreciate. In order to make sure they don't double up on weapon effects, they're gonna have to keep making special things like this mine launcher. Sadly, though, that'll mean that each new addition will require a whole lot of logistical stuff. Hopefully this gun'll come out soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took the indefinite 'VALVe-time' soon.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:49 am »
Quote from: awkm
yeah the table is a little bit of a mess, it was calling on some stuff in another sheet and i reordered the rows so it got screwed up.

But yes, the Mine Launcher is in the works. The only thing right about it at this moment is its damage. It's devastating if you run into them. They'll float in the air, maybe drop ever so slowly. They should be dumb and kind of obviously there so if you want to take the risk and steer through them then fine. You can shoot them down though if your aim is steady enough.

It wont' be coming for a while since we don't have any art assets for it and it'll require a lot as well as some extra coding.

The screenshot suggests that the art work is well under way and there is in-game testing of the code taking place on the dev servers (can a CA confirm?).

Howard said there was a patch due after the PAX, whether that's 1.1.6 or 1.2 remains to be seen.  But with the Mine Launcher and the new maps hinted at a few weeks ago it wouldn't surprise me if there's a big patch in the works and due quite soon.  Something to give a mid-campaign boost to the Kickstarter fun raising.

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 12:31:15 pm »
Heavy or small weapon