Author Topic: Steam Sales  (Read 63832 times)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 08:38:28 am »
That's cute.

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2014, 09:48:02 am »
Prior to my whole PC-gaming addiction, I used to actively play a lot of Star Wars: Battlefront. The online mode does have a kick feature, and I've seen it used both in a good way, and in a bad way. I've been in servers where players were group-voted upon and kicked out just because they were bad at playing, and other times because legitimately they were being trolls. I've also been on the other hand of that spectrum as well, and know first-hand about the kick feature.

In my experience, kick-voting is just a tool that has too many cons to outweigh the pros of it. So it wouldn't shock me if Muse does not implement it (and hopefully they don't).

I know the whole matter has been thoroughly discussed by you guys, but I felt like tossing in my opinion on the topic as well.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2014, 01:51:28 pm »
Going back on the topic of steam sales,...

GOIO is on sale big and frequently. Right now, at the low price of $3.74, its 5 cents cheaper than McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese.

Quote from: www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/mcdonalds-prices/
2 Cheeseburgers - Meal   $4.89.
Quarter Pounder with Cheese   $3.79.

Point is, GOIO is a very accessible game. Pretty much anybody who can afford internet can afford GOIO. What are your thoughts on this? Should GOIO become even more accessible (say become free-to-play) or less accessible (maybe go on sales a little less often)?

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 03:40:20 pm »
I wish this game best, so I'm very sorry to say, that the latter.

I bought this game myself when it was not on sale, and in fact that was one of the key reasons I haven't dropped it after few matches with idiots who were doing some useless crap (aaaaaah, novice pubs), and even the more harsh moment, when matchmaker was first introduced.

Sometimes awareness of how much something cost you is a powerful thing, especially if you are a poor student with no way to get a job, because your university stomps on you as a gentle greeting, and throws a piano on your head when it wants to be a bit more direct.

I actually don't regret not leaving the game, I have fun, but I miss times when I could manually search the matches myself, choose whether I want to play with someone or not, and being forced to speed up with preparations as a captain, so I could easily explain plan and things aboard to novices without microphone.

Now I block people daily and I report people at least once a bloody day, mostly because I can't stand people who bought the game and sale for a joke amount of money and don't even want to fucking get what this game is all about - even if they don't mean to do so, they ruin my games sometimes which is abolutely unnerving.

I don't want votekicks, because I know I would propably kicked out of some ships.
But for Christ's sake, take it out of the sale. Give us some breathing room.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 08:30:41 pm »
@Votekick

We need it. Or something similar because at the moment this is what happens:

>Come to lobby in ship with 2 friends (so ship is filled 3/4 people)
>You know each other and are if not skilled then at least willing to cooperate
>Wild captain lvl1 appears
>You and your friends use VOICECHAT
>It's not really effective
>You use TEXT CHAT
>It's not very effective
>You use PRIVATE MESSAGE
>You fucking guessed, it's not effective
>You either get the fuck of the lobby or have a ruined match
>GOIO y u do dis

Don't even get me started on shit what happens when you actually try to enter the game ALONE. Seriously the ones who go that path should abandon all hope and try not to scream in agony.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that we need to care about new players and stuff (especially stuff!) but if there's nothing for veterans to, at least partially, protect themselves from noobs they will either leave pubs or leave game at all, and possibly it's latter in the longer run. I think Counter Strike GO is a great example of game that is made 'entirely' for hardcore players/veterans* and it is a great success with growing player base. There votekick is a thing and neither I nor my brother (who plays much more CS:GO) did notice some noticable harrasment. More often it was a relief to kick that pesky 12-year old who begs for your attention with his Nazgul-like screeky voice.

*also it's a game that I actually don't like that much and I won't be playing - but many people love it and I can understand why, I'm just not that of a hardcore FPS player

@Steam Sales

Well, actually this game only caught my eye because it was so cheap (guuuuuiiiiilllllltyyyyyyyyy). I like the big(ger) playerbase but I hate encountering noobs, especially the type of ones mentioned above. Many times I said that noob-related stuff is important and we should figure it out but I guess we're run of time and ideas for that matter. I can just hope that people smarter than me are working to figure out how to sell GOIO on sale to benefit both players and Muse.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2014, 09:07:44 pm »
As a counter point though.

Grinding certain achieves are pretty much only possible with noobs.

Have fun getting unscathed or white whaler on veterans. There are places for vets, its what the community is for. They're called competitions and private games (not that I can ever gather the numbers for either).

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2014, 09:25:52 pm »
If you want to get achievements related to newbies, you should be able TO CHOOSE IT, FFS.

I'm not a veteran, and I understand that some players don't know literally everything.
But goddammit, please. I felt games were more balanced, and I had much more fun of them BEFORE 1.3.8 patch.
Honestly today was the first day since some time I had literally a REALLY good time, cause I got aboard with really nice crew ( waffleghost, rinntaq and kill me, but I forgot the last one - I'm sorry ). Not because they are good (well, ok, it is that too) but also because they are funny guys and like to goofy around ( 1: I'll shoot some mines at our ally 2: Remember to make it look like an accident 1: Oh, well, it is an accident.) but when it comes to fight, suddenly everything is in one, proper place.

When you play with players with average of levels below 15 you sometimes wanna cut yourself.
Honestly, FFS. Guys goes on helm, when he is an engie, and does some seriously screwed up shit.
I tried at least to ask him, to get me some angles for mercury. PFFFF. Right, funny shit. Welp, no.
Then, in the middle of deepest shit, he suddenly left helm! Only to rush down for heavy flak that was ought to be manned by MrDisaster, BUT GUESS WHAT. He was doing that idiot work, BECAUSE HE GOT US IN SOME SERIOUS CRAP.

I'm still against votekick, but I swear I had serious doubts watching that bastard. It just can't be even the special kind of stupidity. However I'd rather solve this by some solution to shoot that guy in the head in real life.

How about giving players ability to choose range of levels to play with, and basic on that assemble lobbies? I mean - our level is 22, and we set that indicator to, let's say, 12. It means we wanna play with players levels 10-34. However I just got this idea, and it's like 3:30 AM around here, so I didn't think about this too hard.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:27:34 pm by Schwalbe »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2014, 09:47:27 pm »
for those systems to be viable you'd need an excess of expendable player base or somehow programme AI difficulty levels.

I'm all for segregating the novices away from casuals and vets. They are the guaranteed party poopers of any pub lobby. However, the casuals have to learn to grow out of diapers and its against vets that you take those humbling steps.

The common counter to that point is that some novices listen and get good really quickly. By which I say, I dominated novice matches through my natural intelligence (seriously people say learning the basics of this game is hard... its not... to me anyway. It took me a tutorial and 3 matches to master the fundamentals of decent piloting, gunning and engineering- and I don't mean just learning the freakin controls).

And even though I knew I could benefit from skipping baby mode. I stuck to it, mastering the basics and internalising the very bare minimum of what I should expect from a crew.

So yeah, ok. A Novice can point a gun and fix an engine. So what? If they're that good they'll breeze through novice levels, its not like the old days where I had to literally grind specific achievements to graduate. You just have to play a few matches.

Besides... any graduates that survive novice will actually appreciate what good teamwork is, as they are forced to endure the torture that is themselves.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2015, 12:21:32 pm »
I bought this game on release day for the "Release day sale" which was not nearly as drastic as some of the more recent steam sales. After I realized this game was to occupy a major part of my leisure time I started looking for ways I could pass the devs a little more money. The devs obliged with costuming options, ship accesories, and the Adventure mode kick starter. I suggest that you don't look at the steam sale price as the price of the full game, but the price of a demo that lets you access all the features of the full game for an infinite period of time. The real GOI experience comes in when you have a bunch of in game friends in color coordinated outfits causing merry havoc and looking good in the end of match pose off. That experience can be obtained for a reasonable amount after the initial purchase.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 04:32:01 am »
Call me when there's an update or Adventure mode comes out. I'm putting GOIO in the backseat for now, though any invites to play on steam will be accepted if possible.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2015, 03:08:52 pm »
I bought this game on release day for the "Release day sale" which was not nearly as drastic as some of the more recent steam sales. After I realized this game was to occupy a major part of my leisure time I started looking for ways I could pass the devs a little more money. The devs obliged with costuming options, ship accesories, and the Adventure mode kick starter. I suggest that you don't look at the steam sale price as the price of the full game, but the price of a demo that lets you access all the features of the full game for an infinite period of time. The real GOI experience comes in when you have a bunch of in game friends in color coordinated outfits causing merry havoc and looking good in the end of match pose off. That experience can be obtained for a reasonable amount after the initial purchase.
I knew it. I knew hats and costumes were the most important part of competitive multiplayer games.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2015, 03:30:45 pm »
If you can't look good while you are winning, is it really worth winning?

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 04:41:52 pm »
Ya can't really win without a bling muthafucka'.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2015, 03:44:56 am »
Ya can't really win without a bling muthafucka'.
Ya cant really say the word without the bleep motha****************************

Swears. (Im not backseat moderating, Im too posh for seats!)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2015, 09:20:12 am »
Thanks to Steam sales I have four friends who play the game, whom without sales would not likely have purchased the game, and knowing they play the game because of that makes me happy.

Yes I pull my hair out at the hundreds of COD "Ima gunna only brah cos I got mad skillz" when they can't even handle a gatling gun or flamer and only use default... Or the engineers who sit on the rear flare gun... And don't shoot it... But out of the hundreds of idiots will be four or five legends waiting to be born.

I myself purchased less than a week before a sale, which I'm bummed I missed out on a great bargain but am happy I paid more to an awesome Dev team.

Regarding kick ability...
I'm so torn in the middle of this...
Puzzle Pirates runs a plank walking system, under the captains control. (You have to earn the money you use to buy the ship which adds an element to the argument) but its never nice when you get planked because you're not as high level as expected or because the captains friend just logged on.. This would cause big problems in Guns of Icarus... We are a close knit community and getting into this community can be tough, add an ability to make it harder and new players would just not stay... :(