Author Topic: I haven't crazy king in ages  (Read 12524 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: I haven't crazy king in ages
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 01:09:57 pm »
Since this thread is devolving into lets hate on match making, I want to bring up an important point. We aren't getting mid game join powder monkeys any more. The only way you can join a game mid way through is if you have a friend in it, and as we all know powder monkeys don't have friends. Nothing messed up my Guns of Icarus enjoyment more than having a perfectly functional 2 man crew gain a non communicative powder monkey half way through a game and blow any chances of winning. At least in lobby I have the chance to jump ship if such a player joins, but in game I am stuck with him since I am not the type of player to abandon ship while there are other humans depending on me.

Match making has not been kind to me. I have been matched with of know it all scrubs who decline suggested load outs because "Burst OP" and "We need a Buff kit". I have been matched with captains who have terrible builds and no intention of changing them. I have been matched with with players who rage quit after the first death. Despite all these frustrations I think it is still better than the mid game powder monkey. At least in lobby I can still jump ship to a functional crew (or spectator) without getting a tick on my abandon match count.

Back in the days of lobby I tended to stick to 2v2 lobbies. With match making I find I am playing more 3v3 games than I used to, and by extension more crazy king.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 03:00:23 pm »
Although I don't play anymore I look at steamcharts from time to time and for now the 24-hour peak is 320 players online. So we're basically back to pre-1.3.8 lvl. The so sleek, so shiny (and other buzzwords) matchmaking system that was supposed to bring new players to goio failed and discouraged many experienced players from playing (including myself). Also GOIO is always on sale nowadays. On Steam, then on HumbleStore, now on Steam again. And the player count still drops.

macmacnick
I pretty much fully agree with your post

Some time ago I used to be pretty active and talk with Devs alot. I suggested two remotely easy things to implement to make Crazy King more endurable:
1) Setting time limit for every match to 30 minutes (like in Hephaestus Challenge)
2) Changing point taking mechanic so that one ship can't block the whole point (but it slows down capturing it).
The Devs said those are interesting ideas and... nothing. For me and many friend-players Crazy King is unplayable because it's so long. This might be a solution. But nah.
Also something I've been mentioning a lot - better tutorials and a new tutorial especially for game modes.

The thing that made the match list system so great, was that a lobby may start with similar people as the mm generates, but it matures - the more experienced players tended to stick around, and the less-so would eventually filter out, leaving a lobby of high quality players. This meant there was usually one or two visible lobbies of very high quality players, where you could happily spend a few hours to a whole night. These lobbies would also often migrate to 3v3s and 4v4s. With the mm, the lobby is terminated after 3 matches, often just as it starts becoming mostly high-end players.
This is very true, but in both ways. The experienced players tend to leave low-player lobbies at instant or after one match. The lvls in lobbies seemed to be closer to the average every game.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 05:53:35 pm »
Yeah, last time I played 3v3s in GOIO, 90% were new players who all rage quit within 5 minutes of starting. Course I was flying a Munker and they had no concept of not rushing full speed into mines...heh heh

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:43:43 pm »
Yeah, last time I played 3v3s in GOIO, 90% were new players who all rage quit within 5 minutes of starting. Course I was flying a Munker and they had no concept of not rushing full speed into mines...heh heh

There's 'new', and then there's 'new and stupid'.  'New' will see a pointy object with a balloon and either try to ram it and then realize that's not a good idea, go around, logically deducing that it's a mine, or try to shoot it.

'New and Stupid' will repeatedly ram them, dying over and over.

Please make the distinction.  I'm rather tired of all the 'STUPID LOLN00BS ARE STUPID' being thrown around, when some people might just be new, and you are probably a better player, but the newbie isn't stupid, listens, and wants to learn.

Thank you.

(I just had to release my mild case of butthurt before it became a severe case.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:48:07 pm by ShadedExalt »

Offline Admiral Ackbar RTDT

• Salutes: 5
    • [Krag]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 12:51:39 am »

There's 'new', and then there's 'new and stupid'.  'New' will see a pointy object with a balloon and either try to ram it and then realize that's not a good idea, go around, logically deducing that it's a mine, or try to shoot it.

'New and Stupid' will repeatedly ram them, dying over and over.

Please make the distinction.  I'm rather tired of all the 'STUPID LOLN00BS ARE STUPID' being thrown around, when some people might just be new, and you are probably a better player, but the newbie isn't stupid, listens, and wants to learn.

Thank you.

(I just had to release my mild case of butthurt before it became a severe case.)

You speak the truth. I get schooled by level 8's all the time and sweep level 20's no problem.