Author Topic: What class is most OP?  (Read 19761 times)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
What class is most OP?
« on: December 09, 2014, 02:33:52 pm »
Question in title.

Obviously Pilot is most op.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: What class is most OP?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 02:36:15 pm »
Cookery Class is pretty OP.

Like it teaches you to cook all on your own. That's a handy life skill right there.

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »
I don't believe this is a valid question. No class can function without the other two.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 03:28:34 pm »
Yea, Cookery Class, or Culinary Arts Class is pretty OP.

They get to eat stuff.

If you're asking what GOIO class is better, obviously engineer. I assume you had this answer in mind.

I'd rather have an engineer than a second pilot. I'd rather have a engineer than a gunner. Sometimes, I'd rather have another engineer than an ally.

It's because engineer can do what other classes do, but other classes can't do what engineers do.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »
[Considering the following text wall, a forum moderator might want to add to the title: "Plus the occasional philosophical talk" or similar if it fits the topic more. I never really thought of what I was expecting this thread to become anyway.]

I don't believe this is a valid question. No class can function without the other two.
I never intented to get serious answers in this thread, but since you phrase it like that, I remember quite a few Galleons having even an engineer as a captain instead of a pilot.
Could a Pyra not adapt a similar principle and have 2 engineers, one with claw mallet/spanner/buff and the other moonshine mallet/spanner/chem and they switch between chasing and close range brawling, having ultimate buff advantage when not in the middle of brawl, but very likely having buff being at max when it starts? (Of course, I never even tried it.)

Would a ship always be better because when it has a gunner/pilot/engineer? (I know, it's a rather vague question.)
Sometimes these engineer-only-Galleons do bring a gunner with them. Do these Galleons have a better performance if they had a gunner or is it losing performance instead?

When I look at your answer, I want to rephrase it into:
No class can function without the other two engineers.

Everybody always has at least 2 engineers on their ship. Does that make them op? Could you not replace a class with the "op class"?
Or is the engineer class underpowered, because you need at least two of them to do their job, whereas you only need one pilot to have the pilot do its job?

Or is it simple the games requirement to always have at least these engineers in order to play "correctly" (e.g.: are you playing Yu-Gi-Oh correctly if you only had spells in your deck? With only trap cards you might even win. (Is there even a rule for that?)).

Does a requirement make it more "op"? Are the other classes not a requirement?
Going of the quote that the gunner is a binary class, either 1 or 0 "if you want to play correctly" it is not seen as a required class.
Muse puts the gunner on the same level as the engineer in the matchmaking crew, dividing between crew (gunner/engineer) and captain (pilot). Does that have any factor in "op"-ness or "requirement"-ness or does that simply mean that the gunner actually is an engineer and the other way around, making the crew "op" over the captain as seen on the "engineer only galleons".

BUT are captain/pilots to be seen as a requirement now? If yes, does it make it more op than the crew or does it put it on equal level?

Am I completely missing the topic/not understanding what op means?
What does "playing correctly" mean?!

Obviously Pilot is most op.
"Obviously Pilot"'s initials are "OP". Is that one of these Illuminati trick?! Is the op class really "obviously pilot"?!

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 05:51:00 am »
Personally I see captains and pilots as different things, a pilot steers, a captain leads.
I am a pilot learning to be captain, when I learn and advance myself then engineer-junker-captain-pilot is the OP option on any close range map...

A good captain can operate with a mediocre team, yet a team of incredible can't operate with a terrible pilot...

Crew OP..

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 08:10:45 am »
What Kamoba said, crew OP and pilot and captain are not the same thing (at least in terms of being distinguishable roles even if they are in the same person, think the Pope and the King of Vatican).

I'm at best mediocre pilot and a decent enough captain. This means I'm extremely dependent on a responsive crew to have much chance. They don't have to be experienced or super MLG pro, but I contribute by maintaining situational awareness and keeping everyone informed and on mission, not by my fancy flying (crashing into buildings is fancy flying right?). As a result the crew are usually the ones doing most of the work while I just point the boat and jabber away keeping them up to date. I like to think of the captain as an administrative assistant more than anything else, ensuring everyone correctly files 'napalm' under 'enemy balloon'.

Crews OP, crews win matches.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 10:06:20 am »

a full engie crew can easily function.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 10:59:08 am »

Unless you're packing a heavy flak or lumberjack, then you rely too much on ammo rotation or you need a gunner :)

So crew OP, but not class restrictive...

Heavy flak Lochnagar OP..

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 11:29:39 am »

Unless you're packing a heavy flak or lumberjack, then you rely too much on ammo rotation or you need a gunner :)

So crew OP, but not class restrictive...

Heavy flak Lochnagar OP..

Even then, while restricted, a carro/flamer Pyra would still work well.  Just bring heavy on the carro, lesmok on flamer, voila!

Agree on Loch HF OP.  that feel when a Galleon fires a Loch HF JUST before your armor is down, so it hits as you get to the hardpoint...

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 11:35:58 am »
What I mean is full engi crew works well on all except heavy flak an lumberjack ships, anything else can work very well with trip engi, assuming you pick a loadout based on enemy/map :)

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 11:42:50 am »
What I mean is full engi crew works well on all except heavy flak an lumberjack ships, anything else can work very well with trip engi, assuming you pick a loadout based on enemy/map :)

Ahh, OK.  I've never gunned on an LJ/HF ship, only engi'd.  I still usually run Pilot, Gunner, Engi x2 though.  I also usually run a Hwachafish or Meta/Banshee Junker, though, sooo...

Pyra I go Engi x3.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 02:20:31 pm »
When one ponders the question "What class is most OP?" One invariably comes to the conclusion that it is the Upper Class. Unlike those filthy peasant with their crude concerns for day to day survival, a member of the upper class can take the longer view of things and plot the best course for those under his/her command. Indeed a member of the landed gentry can perform any task with greater skill and elegance than those of humbler means. Yet to maintain good order in society those of the upper class must abstain from menial labor. Otherwise the lower classes begin to feel despondent and may seek to end their mostly worthless lives.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 03:20:46 pm »
I must disagree. As I disagree, I must provide a counterargument. When one ponders the question "What class is most OP?", one must come to the conclusion that the lower-class is the most powerful. When we are discussing the sheer power of a class, the lower-class, being the most numerous, is invariably the most powerful.

The power of the lower-class is often disregarded because the lower-class lacks the ability to organize. However, once organize, this class becomes a force of nature, radically transforming the social, economic, and political structures. Their collective powers have been best exemplified by the sans-culottes of the French revolution.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 03:51:06 pm »
I must disagree. As I disagree, I must provide a counterargument. When one ponders the question "What class is most OP?", one must come to the conclusion that the lower-class is the most powerful. When we are discussing the sheer power of a class, the lower-class, being the most numerous, is invariably the most powerful.

The power of the lower-class is often disregarded because the lower-class lacks the ability to organize. However, once organize, this class becomes a force of nature, radically transforming the social, economic, and political structures. Their collective powers have been best exemplified by the sans-culottes of the French revolution.

Yes, but after all is said and done, their leaders invariably become Upper Class individuals.  Therefore, one must conclude that the Upper Class is the most OP.  Good day to you sirrah!