Author Topic: Heavy Weapon Suggestions  (Read 22254 times)

Offline TeddyBearMafia

• Salutes: 8
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Weapon Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 06:51:40 pm »
Seeing as we can set projectiles to have health like mines...

I think that adapting Crafeksterty's idea to be able to lay down some kind of temporary cover with a gun would be a great improvement for ships that could make use of cover while retreating from enemy fire. Still, I think that in any of these cases the mine launcher would still beat it for utility.

I like the idea of some form of heavy utility gun, but it would need to be damn useful in order to beat taking a damage weapon on any ship that isn't a galleon.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 07:18:43 pm »
I agree with Teddy, it'd have to be really useful.  I do like the Electric cloud idea.  You're right in saying te Vulcan is basically the Hwacha... Maybe give it a slower rate of fire, and make it piercing/flechette.  Laser could be a charge laser type, and f you have no reload a cooldown bar would  be a necessity.  Wait, brain storm.  Combine the Vulcan with Crafeksterty's gunner-love weapon!  Maybe even with the cannon idea...  To be honest, I felt the Jupiter was the least interesting, but everyone has their opinions.  Actually Crafek, I came up with the Gorgon Heavy Spiker a little while back.  Maybe we could work in the ship stun?

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 08:57:09 pm »
When you are firing a cover/tar cloud/elec cloud to escape which side are you going to deploy it on? Front? Side? Aft?

I guess they would work like mines... But I'd rather have something shooting than the above guns. If these end up being Heavy guns, I'd much rather prefer a hwacha. If they end up being light guns, I'd try them, than leave them for competent competitive players. I don't have the skill to use those guns effectively yet.

I really condone the Heavy-piercer idea. That is something definitely missing from the game. It's been suggested many times in many forms. I wonder if Muse has a reason for not adding such gun.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 11:38:29 pm »
When you are firing a cover/tar cloud/elec cloud to escape which side are you going to deploy it on? Front? Side? Aft?

I guess they would work like mines... But I'd rather have something shooting than the above guns. If these end up being Heavy guns, I'd much rather prefer a hwacha. If they end up being light guns, I'd try them, than leave them for competent competitive players. I don't have the skill to use those guns effectively yet.

I really condone the Heavy-piercer idea. That is something definitely missing from the game. It's been suggested many times in many forms. I wonder if Muse has a reason for not adding such gun.

The thing is, unless we make it so nerfed as to be unusable, it's OP as hell.  I do still want a Heavy Piercer, but unless it's the Vulcan (which means Galleons have a new meta), its gonna be difficult.  Also, the Utility Guns are heavy.  This is a heavy exclusive thread.  None of that dinky light crap.  Any ideas on how to spice up the less interesting ideas?  Or more Jupiter balancing/Vulcan modding.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 11:55:50 pm »
Yeah the problem with piercing weapons, it can be OP real quick. Then we have a return of the merc war days when you could just sit back with mercs and decimate ships. Death by pin pricks. A massive heavy vulcan would do this. Imagine twin vulcans on a galleon with a tiny LF on the deck. Cheese grater combo.

Think this is what holds Muse back more often from making new heavies. When the combinations are considered, its just painful. There are limited options which wouldn't be super OP. Sky Torpedo is one of them with impact damage. This you can tune and adjust and if the projectiles are slow enough it won't be something pilots couldn't avoid. Another would be a CQC explosive gun. Would enable the classic Flakfish CQC gameplay, but without the HF range. So you'd be looking at something with Carronade range that just, melts faces. Maybe the massive Hades cannon would fit this. Or what you could do is have a heavy double barrel mortar. Give it a 4-5 shell clip and total damage = the old HF round.

At the same time, need a new light gun to fit between the mortar and LF range. Probably the Pom Pom idea that has been mentioned before by someone else on here. Fast shooter, little spread, no arming timer. So like the original LF. Something that would be perfect mounted on squids or ships which fight more in the short to mid range but can't afford to sit there waiting for mortars to get angle or unload. I could picture a Spire with these. Gat + dual pom poms = nothing is ever going to get close.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 12:17:20 am »
Yeah the problem with piercing weapons, it can be OP real quick.
[...]
 So you'd be looking at something with Carronade range that just, melts faces. Maybe the massive Hades cannon would fit this. Or what you could do is have a heavy double barrel mortar. Give it a 4-5 shell clip and total damage = the old HF round.

At the same time, need a new light gun to fit between the mortar and LF range. Probably the Pom Pom idea that has been mentioned before by someone else on here. Fast shooter, little spread, no arming timer. So like the original LF. Something that would be perfect mounted on squids or ships which fight more in the short to mid range but can't afford to sit there waiting for mortars to get angle or unload. I could picture a Spire with these. Gat + dual pom poms = nothing is ever going to get close.

Maybe the Vulcan could be transformed into the heavy mortar.  Keep the Rotary Barrels, but give it three barrels each side- like the Hwacha but not.  6 shots, slow-medium RoF.  Half the projectile drop of Scylla.  Name it after a Sea monster- Scylla double mortar...  KRAKEN ROTARY MORTAR.  Perfect name right there.   8)

Pom Poms are a cool idea.  What we really, REALLY need is a Heavy with piercing damage.  Name the weapons that do enough piercing dps to be effective at stripping armor, no Gat.  Even if it isn't the Jupiter or the Vulcan, it needs to find a way in there.  I wanna get Goldie ramkills using my own weapons damnit.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 02:57:14 am »
These obviously belong here. (images are links to the containing threads)

Ixion Flame Vortex Cannon

Rocket Harpoon (unnamed)

Aquilon (heavy shatter/piercing freeze damage on chemsprayed parts)

Electric net launcher (unnamed)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 03:45:44 am »
Net launcher would be an interesting way to make a deployable shield. Temp stops weapon fire, cept for piercing rounds.

The trick with the impact damage Barracuda Sky Torpedo is..the mine impacts damage everything, plus light fires. You can knock out armor fast if a ship takes multiple impacts. So you could do a Torpedo with impact as primary and maybe piercing as secondary. That...would make a heavy piercing weapon that wouldn't be OP cause it would have slow traveling shots and shots that wouldn't be in rapid fire. A goldfish with a torpedo launcher would be awesome because you wouldn't have lateral movement to account for, just deployment range so you could charge in firing torpedoes and with impact damage, imagine the satisfaction in seeing your foe being bashed around, armor dropping then gun it with moonshine and ram it straight up his rear!!

Course what would be really hilarious, is if you could catch up to torpedoes with the fish. Run into your own ammo..lol. But then again, in Starlancer when you'd do a close range kill on a torp bomber and the ship would just erupt violently, if you got enough speed and timed it right, you could blast through it and ride the shockwave, boosting your own speed for a moment. Imagine moonshine goldfish speed with a torpedo burst. Sure you'd take damage but man it would be super insta kill.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 04:08:09 am »
Probably the Pom Pom idea that has been mentioned before by someone else on here. Fast shooter, little spread, no arming timer.
Sounds like a Banshee, btw I really like how you manage to put a Squid into every thread even when it's about Heavy Weapons.

I don't think that a close-ish heavy piercing gun would be all too op It would work on Galleon with a hflak or hwacha (and the Galleon's manouverbility nerf this gun pretty well already) or on a spire with all sorts of light guns and Goldfish really only has to option to ram if it would ever want to kill something.

I like the Torpedo idea.

Offline Moike

• Salutes: 4
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 05:21:10 pm »

Every time I see a new medium (or heavy, depending on how you see / name them) weapons thread, it reminds me of this suggestion.

Whenever anyone suggests a new medium weapon it always has words along the lines of 'massive damage' and some aspect of it being better than anything else and leading to it being OP, but the Vortex cannon just fits into a completely viable and balanced niche that isn't filled by anything right now. Plus... Flames and impact?! :D

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »

Every time I see a new medium (or heavy, depending on how you see / name them) weapons thread, it reminds me of this suggestion.

Whenever anyone suggests a new medium weapon it always has words along the lines of 'massive damage' and some aspect of it being better than anything else and leading to it being OP, but the Vortex cannon just fits into a completely viable and balanced niche that isn't filled by anything right now. Plus... Flames and impact?! :D

Exactly.  LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 06:10:01 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KsXYK_CNoQ
Look at them, they're beautiful.

I imagine the Pom Poms being a mid-range (slightly less than light flak) impact and piercing weapon.

4 ammo per clip (4 time firing action, 6 barrels, 3 barrels fire simultaneously alternating but counts as single shot, 2 shots per barrel - think raycast in the heavy carro but with projectiles - increases the chance that some of the projectiles miss the hull or ship all together)

Similar ROF to what's seen in the video.

Total clip does the same piercing damage as 3 mercury shots if all projectiles hit the hull - and the same impact damage as 1 mine assuming all projectiles land. (totals to being about as dangerous as a ship hitting 2 mines?)

Has arming time and loses piercing when up close, 11 second (or longer?) reload means it can't solo kill a ship.

Heavyclip might be OP but i think the ammo reduction will be enough to prevent it from being so, Heatsink might be OP but projectile spread should stop the full clip from hitting.

If its OP nerf it more, thoughts?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:22:32 am by GeoRmr »

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 06:16:22 am »
complementary idea -

Light Pom Pom

Medium range Incendiary and Flechete weapon.
Has arming time, slightly less than heavy flak range.

More fire then pop.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 06:19:15 am »
Ib4 code name beanbag turns out to be pom poms

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 08:02:38 am »
Like how batman put explosive gel into his fist.

I suggest a heavy weapon that makes a ship explode on impact. I call it the fawkes battering ram.

Pretty much has the same killing power as a loch flak. The hull break is via the ram damage.