Author Topic: Evasive Maneuvers  (Read 33671 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Evasive Maneuvers
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 10:01:15 am »
Do you guys know which tool changes the ship position the fastest? In case you need to dodge a Hwacha barrage or something.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 01:47:00 pm »
Do you guys know which tool changes the ship position the fastest? In case you need to dodge a Hwacha barrage or something.

Chute Vent, but Hydrogen is preferable.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 06:40:22 am »
Reviving the topic.

I've started using an interesting maneuver on a goldfish.
Typically, one rams with a kerosene or moonshine in order to keep your ship in arc.

I've been ramming with a goldfish to knock enemy pyramidions' and hwacha/blenderfishes' arcs. However, instead of ramming straight with kero/moonshine, I do a side ram; maneuvering to the broadsides, using the claw to twist the ship against the enemy, and effectively turning the enemy away from me.

I've also done straight rams with the claw instead of kero/moonshine to better maneuver my arcs. Of course, the ship turns like a hurricane on contact, but I can match whatever maneuver the enemy pilot attempts.

So... claw rams!

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 09:07:52 am »
Claw rams can be effective, but be very careful. If you get rammed with it on you'll spin around. So yes it works as long as you aren't counter rammed. You can also use claw to pinpoint where you'll hit them near the end of the ram.

Another great tactic is having your throttle in full reverse at the very end of the ram while burning. This bumps you less allowing you to keep gun arcs while they lose theirs. Moonshine is perfect for this. Unless you're ramming them into something, I would always recommend something like this to keep control while they lose theirs.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:50 am »
Not enough captains make use of chute vent. It can make for some very exciting and risky escapes.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 09:49:43 am »
Actually, if you know what direction you'll be spinning, the +50 thrust from claw is enough to keep you from spinning. Although... if you get it wrong, you'll have to do a 360.

On a note, Kero/moonshine not turning your ship doesn't always mean that the enemy ship will be in arc. With tactical (and not offensive) rams, I recommend that you try out the claw. Actually, in a rare incident of Mobula vs. Squid, I used the drogue chute to a great ramming effect. Bounced him around like pong.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:47 pm »
-When pilots try to out manoeuvre a tar cloud they usually go up or down
-I find using hydro or chute vent in conjunction with tar proves quite effective against slightly more manoeuvrable ships
-You can use it as an evasive manoeuvre too, as their guns will target the last location you had been seen before deploying the tar cloud

-However, it can be quite hard to recognise where the enemy is as the cloud AoE is so big.
-I don't know how this is for others ships except squid, but I guess it would be one hell of an evasive manoeuvre on a mobula.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 07:38:57 am »
I saw a spire using tar to great effect the  other day. He would pop tar as I came from behind him forcing me to hydro above it. Than he would fly low past the tar and start burning backwards. I lost him a few times because I could not see him below my ship with all the tar.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 09:16:48 am »
Not enough captains make use of chute vent. It can make for some very exciting and risky escapes.

As someone who recently switched to Chute Vent (And I basically only play Blenderfish) I can confirm the Chute Vent is definitely the best (Or really, my favourite) way to dodge enemy fire when about to go down and escape. Since it does such low damage to the balloon, I can dip down near the floor, then, while they're out of arc, get everything repaired and fly back into battle/run away to rendezvous with my teammate. It's also great against Metamidions, just dip down once your armour is about to be destroyed and dodge all their Morter shots.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 10:23:47 am »

As someone who recently switched to Chute Vent (And I basically only play Blenderfish) I can confirm the Chute Vent is definitely the best (Or really, my favourite) way to dodge enemy fire when about to go down and escape. Since it does such low damage to the balloon, I can dip down near the floor, then, while they're out of arc, get everything repaired and fly back into battle/run away to rendezvous with my teammate. It's also great against Metamidions, just dip down once your armour is about to be destroyed and dodge all their Morter shots.

Another beauty in chute vent comes from it's lack of usage. Say, you're fighting something like metamidion vs metamidion. If you both bring the hydro, you'll be able to intercept him when he attempts to escape, but he'll also be able to do the same to you. Chute Vent mixes things up a bit and grants you both a different altitude where you excel at, thus making your ship squid-esque where you can just dust off from the fight as soon as your ally is killed or something.

It's also great for flying from above (And by that I mean ridicilously above) In some maps that tends to throw vet pilots off guard.

Offline AndersHyrule

• Salutes: 0
    • [SMBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 08:29:58 pm »
see im a squid pilot so really ive got 2 options i go for.
1. gun it and whip out a bottle o moonshine
2. i can always just jump off the ship and let my crew fend for themselves

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 03:28:30 am »
Squid pilots should know how to tar and hydro too ;)

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 04:16:48 am »

Or just take chute vent and hydro and pretend you're a wannabe mobula

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 04:43:33 am »

Pfft why waste the tool slot? Just burn the balloon to death!

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 10:54:24 am »

Pfft why waste the tool slot? Just burn the balloon to death!

And what are you gonna do when you find yourself facing a good hwachafish? Wait a few seconds for it to burn out along with all 4 of your engines in a competitive enviroment?

It does counter hwachas decently though. Slow projectile + A lightning speed mobility tool

The only ship you REALLY could do without a chute vent is mobula. It falls so fast and has a big balloon which generally is under the risk of being popped so you can turn off drouge while falling to do some vertical manouvers.

Besides, it's pretty darn good in blenderfish v blenderfish since it allows you to gain arcs and avoid their point blank. I use chute-hydro-kero on my squid all the time, the only times where I reaaaaallly wish I had tar is when I'm piloting a squid against another squid or a goldfish,  though on a ship like junker it is pretty darn useful for most other ships when you're in a bad spot. Infact I use it in claw's place.