Author Topic: Evasive Maneuvers  (Read 33672 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Evasive Maneuvers
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:22 am »
She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.

Let's talk about piloting.

You have been ambushed, there is a pyramidion on your aft and a goldfish on your port side beam. Hull/armor is dropping, and your powdermonkey crews are in a full panic mode, cowering on the corner of the ship and crying for their mothers. However, you are the pilot on this ship, and you have a trick up your sleeve...

What is your insane pilot maneuver? What insane pilot maneuvers have you witnessed? Let's talk about maneuvers.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
Re: Evasive Maneuvers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:34:08 am »
I'll start us off.

Mobula, about to be rammed from the aft, lifts up/down, flies backwards, and ends up behind the ramming ship. Lead up with an immediate trifecta or quadfecta to finish up the ramming ship.

Long-range spire, forced into a close range combat, flies up, positions itself above the enemy ship, chute vents down, activate impact bumper, and performs a perfect goomba stomp.

And my trauma, a goldfish positions itself on the aft of a galleon. Galleon harpoon -> moonshine backward rams it for an instakill. The behind of the fat ship scares me to this day.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:47:49 pm »
Whenever I panic I tend to default to chute vent and full reverse, though it's situational.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »
Agreed. Chute vent is the most satisfying escape plan. Either that or hydro. 

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:23:08 pm »

Long-range spire forced into a close range combat, flies up, positions itself above the enemy ship, chute vents down, activate impact bumper, and performs a perfect goomba stomp.

And my trauma, a goldfish positions itself on the aft of a galleon. Galleon harpoon -> moonshine backward rams it for an instakill. The behind of the fat ship scares me to this day.

Sounds cool in theory but I don't think these would be effective in an actual match.

Almost every time someone ends up behind me I just pop off a second or two's worth of tar, enough to disable an entire ship if it is timed right. Also full speed backwards to go behind an enemy astern of you work really well too, considering you have just switched positions and are now behind them

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:28:14 pm »
Sounds cool in theory but I don't think these would be effective in an actual match.

Almost every time someone ends up behind me I just pop off a second or two's worth of tar, enough to disable an entire ship if it is timed right. Also full speed backwards to go behind an enemy astern of you work really well too, considering you have just switched positions and are now behind them

The spire spear was something I've seen only once, and that spire didn't live too long afterwards. But I still think it was a cool maneuver.

The galleon aft ram probably isn't valid in an actual match, but in one of my first non-novice match, this killed me three times in a row.

I forgot one another cool maneuver, squid ink. Move into the enemy, give them a few shots, and than leave them in a cloud of tar. Although, with the tar being a little weird (or balanced) right now, it's not as common as before.

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:34:59 pm »

The spire spear was something I've seen only once, and that spire didn't live too long afterwards. But I still think it was a cool maneuver.

I have seen a ton of people thing Spire Spear actually works, but because the spire's pointy bit does absolutely no additional damage compared to any other ram, you are just left ramming a ship with the weakest and slowest ship in the game which will never work. If you really want to stomp people in the ground, use a pyramidion with a buffed balloon and maybe chute vent

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:10 pm »
Oh, Battletoad helped me remember one another maneuver,

Galleon Goomba Stomp!

I was in a match that began before my ally Galleon had time to switch to right guns and ammo types. (so he was playing with four lumber, two flare weird galleon). His solution? Goomba Stomp everything with kerosine and chute vent. It was hilarious to see the enemy junker and squid squirm under the iron boot of the galleon.

Offline Melon McCrabernathy

• Salutes: 19
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »

The galleon aft ram probably isn't valid in an actual match, but in one of my first non-novice match, this killed me three times in a row.

That is not true, clearly you are one of the uninitiated :P I have personally used the aft harpoon many times to great effect

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 04:20:04 pm »
But Melon, your rams are legendary, and inimitable by common men.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:42 pm »

Confirmed

Offline Melon McCrabernathy

• Salutes: 19
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 04:18:52 am »

Confirmed

8) 8) 8)

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 07:28:54 am »
The point of the thread was to see if there are another maneuvers top pilots use.

Do you guys know any?

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 08:26:40 am »
A very popular move a lot of pilots use is to fly low with a healthy buffed balloon and than use a touch of hydro to shoot up into the air.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 08:41:44 am »
There's a reason my Mobula is called 'Daniel the Matador'.

Blenderfish charging you head on? Drop underneath them and hit them with the flamer carro you should have. (Both have good up arcs.)

AAA they're coming too fast! They're gonna hit.

Activate your hydrogen, keep it on until your balloon is broken.

Then turn (in such a way you can back up) to face them.

You will fall under them. When you have done so catch yourself with drogue chute. You are now facing a blenderfish that is starting to turn for round 2. Move in with carro flamer. Or back up. Depends how you feel.

It's important to note all this should be happening whilst you are falling.

Congratulations you can now Olé.