Author Topic: No Novice Gunners.  (Read 16980 times)

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: No Novice Gunners.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:57 pm »
I'm afraid I have to agree with everyone who is saying that this is a terrible idea, while a low level unskilled gunner can force a crew to use simpler tactics or even mess with the ships ability to work I much much rather have a bad low level gunner than a bad engineer. After all with a bad gunner you can pluck them on a flamer and tell them to stay there and if they do not handle that it is not the class that is the issue.

However mostly I'm against this as 20 matches is not enough for someone playing engineer to become a good gunner and this would make no difference other than confusing new players as to why one class is locked. So basically what we would do is the same thing novicegames did when they first came out, push the level of the bad players a bit higher making it harder to tell who is good and who have no idea of how to play their class.

Instead I would suggest that the pilot adapt the ship to the crew, use simple weapons like carronade, gattling, flamer for low level gunners, explain to them what ammo to use and why they are using it. If it turns out they are responsive and you think they can handle it you can try harder guns with them.

sorry for the rant
//Hillerton

PS what could be good is if the gunners standard loadout didn't come with a spanner as this confuses ppl

Well spoken Hill, I agree with you. Adaptation to the crews abilities is the responsibility of the captain formulating the ship - if they're new to gunning don't give them a difficult weapon like the lumberjack, instead opt for easier to use loadouts.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 02:13:43 pm »
PS what could be good is if the gunners standard loadout didn't come with a spanner as this confuses ppl

I've said this SO MANY TIMES.  SO MANY.  it would be such an easy change for the devs to make ;-;

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 06:06:11 pm »
Seems like a lot of you missed the point again. Reread the first post. This is mainly about gumming up matchmaking with too many gunners. Matchmaking requires twice as many engineers as gunners to work properly.

But, yes, if I get a <20 match gunner on my ship with all the wrong tools and no communications, I adapt the ship. Right into another lobby.

Offline Devinstater

• Salutes: 2
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 11:25:52 pm »
Seems like a lot of you missed the point again. Reread the first post. This is mainly about gumming up matchmaking with too many gunners. Matchmaking requires twice as many engineers as gunners to work properly.

But, yes, if I get a <20 match gunner on my ship with all the wrong tools and no communications, I adapt the ship. Right into another lobby.

I think you identified the symptom, not the problem. The symptom is too many gunners. The solution is for gunners to be more appealing to captains to want them on your team.

If the game ran smoothly with one of each class, plus a second of whatever role, then this would be a non issue and matchmaker would be fine.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 04:29:25 pm »
Sent. Howard wrote that if default class is still gunner that's a bug and should be fixed. Engineers have been informed about this.