Author Topic: Flying Angry  (Read 23173 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Flying Angry
« on: November 06, 2014, 03:18:52 pm »
Some times when I take the helm I am calm and collected, other times I am frothing mad. Last night for example I was assigned by match making to a novice pilot with a stupid build. He left the game after the first hwacha volley took out his engines, and stuck me and another engineer with his mess. After loosing the game the other team started bragging about how it was too easy. So I took the open captain's slot with a blender fish and some unkind thoughts running through my head.

With an AI crew and a fortunate mid-game gunner join I was able to eek out a 5-0 win. During the game yelling obscenities at the AI and defiantly flying angry. In some way I think the rage contributes to my piloting skill or in some instances the tone of my voice causes my crew to carry out my orders faster. On several occasions I have been told to "calm down it is just a game," but I propose that the rage fueled beast on the helm is part of the game. So long as it doesn't devolve into personal attacks or harassment putting some fury into your orders is a good thing.

I have flown with enough members of this community to know captains run the spectrum of calm to extremely pissed off, and that mood can even vary by the minute. What have been your experiences with anger on the helm? Is it helpful or harmful to your role as a captain?

Offline RethBurn

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 71
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Flying Angry
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:34:54 pm »
So when I started out in the game, I kept getting angry and doing bad choices, the rage fueling into my own folly. That was when the Flakfish was viable, and I was taught to calm myself and play collected. I started climbing levels and I started to understand just what it meant to actually play the game.

When close-range became a large part of the meta, I started ofcourse, delving with it too. In the start I didn't like it, it was too close to random. I felt it didn't matter if I was a good pilot, so I just got angry when flying and yelling at the enemy ships. Then I realized, that, when I put my emotion and channelled all of that energy into my piloting, I became better. I started thinking how to be relentless and realize that maybe close-range wasn't so random at all. I started feeling glad about my discoveries, and the rage turned into excitement. When I was flying with passion for the game, I flew better than without.

I think it depends on what I do. When I'm pissed off, I become a better squid pilot. If I'm calm, I can do sniping and precision flight. Frankly enough, I become a terrible pyra-pilot when angry.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 04:06:12 pm »
I've gotten angry in games. Pretty recently too. Hamster knows. Btw, thank you for your sympathies.

On my bad days, I get on my pyramidion, moonshine, and ram everything until I feel better. My crew complains about Engine health and gun arcs, but I don't care.

If the game makes me mad, I take time off with books and stuff.

I've flown under a few captains and flown with variety of crews. Some are falling asleep on the gun, some are cracking jokes, some are just silent (the worst), and some are drunk (the best).

But I've yet to fly with a blatantly angry people.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »
Flying angry is too exhausting for me.  I can only do it for a couple matches then I have to stop piloting.  Mostly because me being angry while piloting is generally caused by crew who are ignoring me or trolling me or being rude, or are just frustratingly incompetent, and I can't take too many matches in a row of that.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:20:34 pm »
Couple nights ago I had had a long day, wanted to unwind a bit/not deal with annoying coworkers. Got an engineer who insisted on bringing mallet/buff hammer/extinguisher despite loadout recommendation, yelled at them, still feel bad about it :( If you're out there reading this, I'm sorry..

It's just a game, attacking, saying someone is incompetent/can't do their job is not acceptable when they just want to have fun.

Regarding dq, IMO it's best when a captain sounds calm but has a tone like they care about what happens on the ship. Rage fueled beast on helm is definitely cool as long as they're a good pilot and don't berate crew directly/use slurs. Much better/more fun than a silent pilot.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:02:13 pm »
I fly tired before I fly angry. I'm sure it comes off as anger tho. When I get tired I stop censoring my thoughts and start to slur my words so it sounds like i'm an angry drunk.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:08:38 pm »
Huh. I never get angry. Ever. There's only accepting, calm, and listening mode, and sarcastic jokes from inner frustration modes of me. Then again, I haven't captained enough ships to feel the rage that is noob-noob-jerk crews.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 01:58:43 am »
If you have a valid reason to get angry i think you should. Why hold it in? To "act"?

Sometimes raising your voice is the only way to get heard and get a reaction. However when i crew with a ship that has a captain that gets angry WITHOUT reason that annoys me a lot. Or if the reason is a small one. True reactions make a more enjoyable game. A "thank you" or "good job" is also important when things go well.

Personally i mostly don't fly like ever (unless not sober), mostly.. (ref Aliens)

But i might be using mic less and less.. Not just the late timezone as excuse but i just wanna play and see how the game goes.. More action instead of talk guy.. So i'm sorry if that is annoying.. hopefully you can still be silent as long as you listen. I do type crewchat now and then.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 01:25:39 pm »
For us veteran players, we get mad because the game just gets wasted. we want (or atleast i do) an OK game or a WINNING game.

OK by no one really leaves, people get upset of what they do but they see it themselves, they see their own mistakes and winning or losing, its OK.
While a WINNING game is a satisfying game where you win versus good and difficult situations or opponents.

A BAD game is when you have people who dont communicate, who makes you not play the game but rather frustrate, terrible cooperation and mistakes done by other people, and being called out for doing mistakes.

but... the WORST kind of game is.

When you know that you will win because you see the opponents are unfitt, either they have a bad game or something. This is worst because there is 0 potential for you to make this a bad game to a OK or WINNING game because it all relies on the opponents. Making you instead of RAGING you simply SIGH and Whimper your crew to kill the ship that tried to go through the pipe with a galleon.

EDIT: But i do fly angry sometimes. Ive lost interrest on telling detailed jobs for each crew people when the game starts anymore because ive done it too many times so it gets tiresome. And BECAUSE OF THAT my anger is actualy unjustice. However, every time i do give in detailed description for each crew on game start, and they do crappy mistakes i can really make them NOT want to fuck up cause this time its Justfull :)   But in the end, i actualy dont get angry that often.

What angers me the most is crew who dont listen, for real this is what bursts my bubble. Especialy when the crew cant hear me because he disabled voice chat. That to me is the most frustrating, wastefull rage cus by the time you figure out he cant hear you. You just feel wasted... not in the drunk sense.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:32:49 pm by Crafeksterty »

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 01:30:07 pm »
I always fly angry, engineer angry, sometimes even eat breakfast angry.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:36:25 pm »
I always fly angry, engineer angry, sometimes even eat breakfast angry.

When you cook pasta do you simmer with rage?

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 01:41:42 pm »
The mere thought of pasta infuriates me.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 06:20:02 pm »
Sometimes raising your voice is the only way to get heard and get a reaction. However when i crew with a ship that has a captain that gets angry WITHOUT reason that annoys me a lot.

Last time I got REALLY angry was when russian captain (MishkaTheGreat? something like that?) started yelling at us constantly "HULL REPAIR THE HULL REPAIR THE HULL REPAIR THE HULL", what we were actually constantly doing, it's only he, who flew right between two ship, and at least 3 gats shooting at us AT ONCE. I REPAIR, BUT YOU, ANGSTY ASSHOLE OF A CAPTAIN ARE RUINING MY BLOODY EFFORTS.

Offline Alistair Marlowe

• Salutes: 5
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 08:32:37 pm »
I'll admit to falling victim to this at times, mostly due to allied ship incompetence.  Given that frothing rage isn't exactly the best copilot, I tend to content myself with a litany similar to 'Well, scoundrel, you'll be on the other team next match and I shall bestow upon thee such a wallop for this verminous performance; see if I don't!'  Disclaimer:  Contents of rant not verified by inspector.  Open at own risk.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 12:11:13 am »
I am a very talkative pilot, as most people that know me will tell you. I tell my crew when to shoot, when to fix, and when to not, all while telling the odd story or talking about some recipe or other random things completely unrelated to the game.

When I get really mad, I stop talking and generally go completely quiet. Win or not, the match is no longer fun and I am just waiting for it to get over.

If I am mildly upset at someone, say, for not bringing what I told them over and over as a gunner, I will do my best to make sure they never get a shot.

If I am irate at a rude crew on the other team, I take greased Hades Funhouse.