Author Topic: Government in the GOIO  (Read 40963 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Government in the GOIO
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 11:19:00 am »
Yeshan  Empire is your basic classical Asian style government, however unlike ancient China and Japan, the Empire is run by a council of Eunuchs who are the intellectual and philosophical elite.

Eunuchs,.. 'O che sciagura d'essere senza coglioni!'

If I remember my Chinese history correctly, the Ancient Chinese empires were, at some periods, ran by Eunuchs.
The last days of Han dynasty would be the best example. If I remember my Chinese history, Eunuchs held sway over the emperor before being overthrown by provincial warlords.

Do you guys think that the Yeshans know Confucius, and/or hold Confucian ideals in their government? The way muse set them up, it seems most likely.

Offline Jason McMorgan

• Salutes: 4
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 11:28:20 am »
Yeshan  Empire is your basic classical Asian style government, however unlike ancient China and Japan, the Empire is run by a council of Eunuchs who are the intellectual and philosophical elite.

Eunuchs,.. 'O che sciagura d'essere senza coglioni!'

If I remember my Chinese history correctly, the Ancient Chinese empires were, at some periods, ran by Eunuchs.
The last days of Han dynasty would be the best example. If I remember my Chinese history, Eunuchs held sway over the emperor before being overthrown by provincial warlords.

Do you guys think that the Yeshans know Confucius, and/or hold Confucian ideals in their government? The way muse set them up, it seems most likely.

From what I could dissect from videos that talked about the factions and what info has been uploaded, the Yeshan follow a GOIO version of Confucianism, in this case its basically a philosophy that teaches the basics of propriety. In place of an emperor, they have  a council of eunuchs, who seem to be a part of an educated sect within the society and have the proper knowledge to run the country, economy, military, and external politics as per the teachings..

And yes, throughout history, there have been many instances where Eunuchs have controlled the Chinese emperors from behind the curtains. Look no further than the Ten Eunuchs prior to the splitting of the Han Empire.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:42 pm »
I thought the Eunuch thing was a myth spread by the the successors of that dynasty to convince the population that the Han dynasty had lost the mandate of heaven.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 12:51:20 pm »
No, they actually had Eunuchs

Two reasons:

1.) So that hereditary powers will no threaten the meritocratic system as well as the powers of the emperor.

2.) So that members close to the Royal family will not cause any scandals or illegitimate children.

And a less serious third reason:

To say stuff like ->'O che sciagura d'essere senza coglioni!'

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 06:42:57 pm »
I am sure there were eunuchs, but the implication that the "eunuchs ran the country and treated the weak emperor as a puppet," sounds like high quality propaganda written after the fact by a new government who wanted to make the old government look bad.

You know the type of lies those Fjord Barons spread to keep their populous from understanding the enlightened Yeshan ideals.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:44:59 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 05:41:42 am »
Maybe so, perhaps it could be next in your propaganda series.

Btw, Muse, if you are reading this thread, make whatever hamster says canon.
O, and make the Codex of Zuka canon as well. Hilarious.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 06:02:20 pm »
I would think the Order of Chaladon would be a kind of technocratic oligarchy. It's already been revealed that the term Order of Chaladon doesn't apply to the nation itself but rather the fraternity of scholars, philosophers and gentleman. Therefore I imagine that Chaladon is actually technically made up of separate states, but united through each state's governors all being members of this 'Order of Chaladon'. That's my speculation anyway.

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 10:46:28 am »
In one of the Kickstarter updates, Eric actually gave us a bit of information about the different factions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSd0Ah4CgDg&list=PLXBTe7DWOUHwvu6ZeoVfHZufdiLHin3xX&index=6

I'm not sure whether parts of it are outdated at the moment, but it gives some good insight.
Yesha Empire: Expansionist, meritocratic republic ruled by a triumvirate of philosopher consuls.
Anglean Republic: Isolationist, democratic townhall-government.
Fjord Baronies: caste system, feudal. Collection of territories ruled by lords and united under one king.
Order of Chaladon: Force Kingdom (Not sure what that's supposed to mean?)
Mercantile Guild: (no info on government given)
Arashi League: independent and heterogenous collection of city states.

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:52 am »
The way I see it, there's a very real chance much of the world isn't territory that is well controlled by one of the primary factions.

Meaning there's probably numerous smaller city-states all over, and probably a bunch of sky pirates

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »
Well, those city-states and the sky pirates would be the the Arashi and Mercantile guild.

Yesha, Baronies, and Chaladon would have a control over their territories. Anglea, Arashi, and Guild won't have good control.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 03:29:33 pm »
I like to think that, regardless of culture or nation, each place has a central ruler or leader. Yesha, for example, has a council that answers to one lord, or the Baronies, barons who kneel before a single king. Arashi, chiefs. Mercantile guild has a committee with a "president" which is really a fancy term for "Someone with enough power and influence to execute anyone who disagrees".

I can't think of anything for Anglea. It's just too much of a loose grouping what with all the imagined spread over the area for tech and engineering instead of centralizing.

Chaladon is just... it's such a perfect society that it can't have one leader, so I imagine old "wise" men holding authority over the entire place.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 03:33:08 am »
Chaledon I imagine to be somewhat closer to a druidic (or "pagen") society, far from perfect ;)
But then again, I'm from Trading Troops, an arm of the mercantile guild, tasking ourselves with obtaining the cure for the Gray Blight in the interests of profit.  8)

Offline Jester Schulz

• [BLFI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:39 am »
The Chaladon's could utilize a theocratic ideology. They could follow theory and use that as the way they dictate themselves. Much like religion, they would follow a divine being or a centralized idea. That would be their government. I could never imagine them having one person be their leader or a group of elitists be governing them. So in my mind the only thing that makes sense is to have a god or an idea be their guidelines and their way of life.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 10:32:37 pm »
I've been thinking,...

Chaladon probably has some sort of religion governing them, but the religion has a strong affinity to science.

Yesha wouldn't follow Confucian ideals. Sure, they seem very East Asian, but Yeshan ideals of meritocracy and ambitions are in direct conflict with Confucian ideals of hierarchy and knowing-your-place. My guess would be that Yesha would have something similar to the one-party system China currently has. A system where government offices are mostly based on merit, but similarly riddled with corruption.

Mercantile Guild is probably Italian city states bound under one ideal of profit.

Anglea, I think, probably doesn't have a formal government.

Baronies are probably Feudalism and Manorialism. But I wonder if they have a king. If they do, the king wouldn't be an absolutist, but a weak monarch similar to the elected, non-Habsburg Holy Roman Emperors.

Arashi, probably similar to Anglea.

In fact, what is the difference between Arashi and Anglea? They are both raiders and pirates. Barbarians and Hill People refusing proper civilization for freedom. What is different between Arashi and Anglea? Do they have conflicts?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:36:23 pm by Indreams »

Offline Jester Schulz

• [BLFI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »
Maybe the Angleans elect a strong military leader to be kinda like a war chief. When i look at the Angleans i see vikings. So i would imagine them electing their leader based on skill and strength. The cold, harsh land and using what materials they can find to build a strong army sounds a lot like the vikings. They might function on a more basic level of feudalism where there are communities of people living together instead of wealthy families. The tribes would have a head leader. Then out of all the tribes there would be a head tribe and a war chief who is in charge of all the tribes. It would be less bloodline focused and who is part of the family, and more of who is part of the tribe. "The Angleans take what they seek."

From what I've been reading, a lot of people have the idea that Chaladon works on more of a theocratic government that follows more of a set of ideas instead of a person or a group of people. A guess could be that they follow a machine god or a god of science. Maybe they follow an ancient text that gives rules on how to live life. Who knows?

Muse has already confirmed that the Baronies run off of a king, lord, peasant system. Noble families swear legion to a king who too the throne through power. Muse has also stated that in the simplest terms, its the Game of Thrones of all the factions (The person who was working on the Baronies was watching Games of Thrones while working. Someone from Muse stated that in another post). If one noble family wants the throne then they mass an army and take it. Feudalism at it's most basic level.

From what i'm seeing with the Yesha Empire, it looks like it might even be a communistic society. They even use things like "To be Yeshan is to be proud of who you are, no matter where you are in society" and even "Where there is a role in society, there is a citizen." It sounds like people are given roles in society and they are to stay true to that role. To simplify it, take communism and then make sure that no one person rises to power and becomes a dictator.

The Arashi League is as the name suggests. Groups o tribes of people living throughout the land and when times come the tribes come together and band together. A league of nations kinda. They are probably the least advanced and most primitive due to their harsh environments. Imagine Mad Max.

The Merchant Guide looks like they function much like a business would. They sell and buy things. Use their wealth to gather armies and bribe. Their goal is to be wealthier. It literally is a guild of wealthy merchants who use their money and power to influence others and to gain power.

To answer Indreams, Angleans would probably be more like vikings with tribes who are close knit communities who elect a chief and then out of all the tribes one tribe would be the head tribe with a war chief in charge of all the tribes. The Arashi would be more like tribes who might have their own tribe leader like an Elder. The tribes would work together and come together when the times really call for it. More like how the UN functions with different nations being represented instead of having one person being the leader of all the others. Angleans would have more of a focus on finding more technologies in their land and then going out and proving that they are just as strong as the other factions while the Arashi would mainly be doing things in order to survive their harsh desert life.
I would imagine that they could but the two nations are pretty much on opposite sides of the map. There might be a time where the two conflict but unless one nation really steps far way from their borders it's unlikely. Plus the Yesha Empire sits right between them so that would be more of a concern to both factions than each other.