Author Topic: Problems with matchmaking  (Read 130934 times)

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
Re: Problems with matchmaking
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »
AND LOBBIES ARE NOT LONG ENOUGH TO TEACH IN!!!!!!

Yesterday during a countdown my teammate switched to a triple flak squid.  I started trying to explain damage types and why it was an ineffective build, but then the match started.  Every person on the ship ragequit after their first death.

Matchmaking and enforced lobby timers hard at work.  Such balance.

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2014, 02:35:05 pm »
AND LOBBIES ARE NOT LONG ENOUGH TO TEACH IN!!!!!!

Yesterday during a countdown my teammate switched to a triple flak squid.  I started trying to explain damage types and why it was an ineffective build, but then the match started.  Every person on the ship ragequit after their first death.

Matchmaking and enforced lobby timers hard at work.  Such balance.
You can only imagine what it's like when this happened every match in some way. You start to hate... playing in such lobbies.

Offline CitizenFry

• Salutes: 3
    • [☠]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2014, 03:28:07 pm »
Crew formation doesn't seem to generate balanced matches with matchmaking, which is funny because I thought they'd said that it would work well for matchmaking?

Last night I did crew formation with a bunch of StarBubbles and a few DJs. We started with around 10 players, most of whose levels were 30 or above, and after every match, we went back to crew formation along with whatever stray players we picked up, and eventually ended up queueing with 15-16 players.

Results:
- matchmaking fired very quickly, putting us in 3v3s to start and later 4v4s as our formation got bigger
- opposition was almost uniformly novice players (i.e. none of a player's classes were above level 12). There were definitely several 3v3s that were all-novice opposition, and some of the 4v4s were against 14 or 15 novices out of 16 opponents.
- all of the matches were huge blowouts, until latenight attrition reduced our core group to only 6 players in a 4v4, when we still won pretty handily

I can understand getting lopsided matches if there aren't many people in the queue and the matchmaker just has to throw us together with whoever's around, but the games were firing VERY quickly, and the matches were very lopsided. Was it really possible there were zero non-novice players in the queue at the time? Or that our group's collective rating was comparable to that of a brand new player?

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2014, 04:04:39 pm »
Can confirm my experiences are the same as CitizenFry's.

Offline RacingRotary

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2014, 06:41:02 pm »
I believe switching classes in game would alleviate a lot of problems with matchmaking and  when persons leave. Switching should have a short penalty to respawn  so that people don't try to switch classes to get lower overall cool-downs if that makes sense.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2014, 12:04:13 am »
Should I feel bad that I haven't used match making yet? I find it so much better to create my own lobby, invite a few friends and than hit the recruit from queue button. It also gives us more time to play our favorite game. Lobbies of Icarus.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2014, 12:08:01 am »
Should I feel bad that I haven't used match making yet? I find it so much better to create my own lobby, invite a few friends and than hit the recruit from queue button. It also gives us more time to play our favorite game. Lobbies of Icarus.

When I get fed up with match making this is what I do. And then we play 3 matches and have to redo the lobby all over again.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2014, 04:50:06 am »
Before matchmaking:

After matchmaking:

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2014, 12:26:44 pm »
That last picture, you are the ONE DUDE on your team who knows how to play. Save yourself while you can!