Author Topic: TimmyB Tournament Post Season One Suggestions  (Read 11064 times)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
TimmyB Tournament Post Season One Suggestions
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:20:57 pm »
So obviously, this is where you lovely people can discuss what you liked and didn't like about season one, suggestions for events in season 2, or just general suggestions on how to run the even better or what you liked.

I want to start off by asking a few questions to the community:

-Did you find the 3v3 format enjoyable, or would you prefer 2v2?
-Would you rather see this event aired pre-filmed, like the Anvalan Conflict, or live?
-Was the points system confusing or fun?
-What would you change about the points system (can be specific to certain weeks)
-Secret points suggestions

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: TimmyB Tournament Post Season One Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 02:45:04 pm »
I highly suggest solidifying rules and and what to do in situations with in game refs. There were some avoidable things that happened, had a rather bad showing in terms of rules in a squid race for one, and confusion in the point spending in the last day where basically everyone thought once you posted your percentage on the forums it was locked for the other as specific things that could have been avoided.

Offline Steve CZ

• Salutes: 21
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:59:33 pm »
First of all, I think the 3v3 format was fun, but it was usually over too quickly. I'd suggest making it a best of 3 (at least in some cases) or something like that. It wasn't very pleasant to try to get 4 people together and then play a match for 5 minutes.

Second, those rules need to be phrased more specifically. The confusion was out of hand sometimes.

And please, keep an eye on the time zones. Just use UTC for the love of god :D

Point system wasn't that much fun. For teams on the lower half of the table it didn't really matter much, since we got usually more points in random costume bonuses, than in any other way.

I'd suggest weekly challenges for bonus points.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:06:13 pm »
Assist points so kill ships aren't the only ones to score high.

Honestly thats all I can think of. Keep the randomness to the event and mixing up gametypes. But at the same time, recognize which ones work and don't work. If something needs Muse support to make viable then I'd avoid using it. Going to get more problems from those that isn't worth making folks upset over.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 04:28:18 pm »
The best thing of the tournament was to respect the original idea of this by our beloved friend Timmy. That should also be the most important thing, rest is really secondary.

Please keep it casual, simple and for the players in it to enjoy. Endorse fun and make it less serious as it felt some weeks. If points are focused too much it easily becomes less casual for others.
The crazy ship builds were fun. Squidrace needs some work. Reward teamwork and effort but keep it fair. This Season was a good first one.

3v3 is great because it's not always that easy to play certain larger maps and there's enough 2v2 matches. One ship team is a good idea. Makes it easier for new teams to join which is always nice to see. That was probably the second best thing imo. To see Flibustier join mid-tourn and have a blast.

Good job!

Offline Wolfprints

• Salutes: 5
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:53:50 pm »
I think that as a recurring thing it may work better to have less weeks, with more matches each week. For example, make it be 4 weeks instead 6, but each event is best of 3. A lot of rounds went by really fast, and the teams were left still wanting to play more (and one awesome lobby did).

I thought the randomly rolled ship loadouts was a great idea, and a lot of fun. I would love to see that come back.

It's great that teams can come in the middle and still have a great time, and that it's not a huge deal if a team can't make it one week.  I would love to see this become a thing that a lot of non-clan members get involved in too.

I also like the idea of having things teams can do throughout the week to gain extra points, although it would have to be done in some kind of way that the admins can oversee without it becoming a timesuck for them. Maybe this could be done by having teams upload screenshots of them doing specific things to a forum post.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:16:11 pm »
I just want to say that this tournament had the most entertaining matches to watch, especially the random loadout ones. Shoutout to Melon for his double reverse squid ram.

Offline Celti

• Salutes: 12
    • [C¤P]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 01:04:16 am »
I really enjoyed the 3v3 format, you guys should keep it that way.  I don't really mind if it's pre-filmed or live, but that's just me because my internet hates me and I am never able to see anything in the streams :S
I did like those random points for costumes or ship names :) keep that please and maybe add some more random points. I just feel the squid race rules should have been a bit clearer.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 08:41:09 am »
I definitely find a 3v3 format more enjoyable in this kind of casual event. 3v3 opens many possibilities for your ship choice and it's layout, not to mention a chance to play Crazy King, and thanks to this system, BO1 with 3 different ships per team, matches are also played in a reasonable timespan for both timezones for multiple teams, which I believe was a go-to mindset in the tournament, to bring the community closer. A big yes from my side for 3v3, I would even go 4v4 if there were more maps for it :P

-Would you rather see this event aired pre-filmed, like the Anvalan Conflict, or live?
By pre-filmed you mean recorded without streaming and uploaded on youtube at later date? Because in this case you might as well stream it, cause the event ends up on youtube anyway. Also, if pre-filming includes video editing and cutting some parts of the original video (like GoIO games of youtubers vs devs on Polaris) then I can already tell you I'd rather watch the raw version.

Both.

-What would you change about the points system (can be specific to certain weeks)

First of all I feel it was sometimes inconsistent, while it shouldn't be. If you give additional points for ram kills on week 1 then I'd give them during the next weeks too, cause rams are still awesome. Also I'd give more points for more stuff to all the people, so if possible, noone's left out. And I'd give + points for stuff outside the match itself, like Duck logos.

-Secret points suggestions
Consistent list of additional points:
Reference points(for ship name with reference)
Best ship name(for funniest ship name of the match)
Best costume of the match
Best gunnery of the match
Match MVP (for the best gamechanging action in the game: nice flank, epic tanking, max range flak shot, something that makes them a great ship in their team, even if they didn't get most kills)
Match Killer (most kills of the match(I think, with supportive ships and stuff, this is the only way kills should affect the points(look week 6 and point betting system)))
Most creative loadout (for being a GoIO hipster, triple banshee, double harpoon builds and so on).
Ram kill points
Random fun points (team ship hug, ekhem*spiredrill*ekhem, squid race backwards start, tic-tac-toe caster trolling)
+ very random, inconsistent bonus points for stuff that doesn't fit any of the categories (like those bonus points for being crushed during the squid race)
and of course, stuff outside the match like Duck logos (I'd give initial points at the start of the event's 1st week for best logos, regarding quality, fun or reference)

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 04:00:22 am »
A better, more clear, definition of the points system would be good next time. Kinda feel like many people just were confused with it and that scores didn't matter that much.

Surprise points and such aren't the problem, but some of the weeks it seemed the point totals would be higher than they should have been. Trying to figure out how they'd all add up/etc wouldn't help. Some weeks it would seem like there would be just 1 or 2 bonus points and then the score would be huge. Then going into the finals it didn't seem like the bonuses would be worth the overall risk as their totals looked like small gains for going all in. Not seeming like it would benefit the top teams as much. Just the teams with few points who had nothing to lose.

If there is multipliers then it needs to be clearly stated. 2x, 3x, etc. Then give an example of how it works.

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 01:54:09 pm »
I would have loved to see a list of bonus points or at least half of it. It was kinda frustrating guessing the points. Would an all harpoon ship net a bonus point?.. er.. I either try and not get anything or not try ..

The Rules could be a bit more clearer and consistence as well.

Found it super fun however when I was able to!

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »
I did enjoy the 3v3. Much more than 2v2. It just seems the more people there are, the more chances there is for random comedy and happiness.

I always like live.

To be honest I didn't pay attention to it. It was a fun thing to look at and see who got bonus points. But without any reward the points are kind of moot.

One other thing: Maybe it's just me, but I didn't enjoy being forced to take a specific loadout. Weeks 4 and 5 are examples. There really isn't a fix for this since it's a problem on my end.

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 10:42:27 pm »
The random loadout I found fun, seeing how to use a certain setup. But then I think we were just lucky with the teammate.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 04:23:07 am »
I'm just upset that there wasn't a mine-launcher and harpoons only round!

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 05:48:23 am »
I'm just upset that there wasn't a mine-launcher and harpoons only round!