Author Topic: Always running 3v3 & 4v4 lobby  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Always running 3v3 & 4v4 lobby
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:29:00 am »
I'm really not that knowledgeable on how everything works server side. But i feel it would help if there was always a running 3v3 & 4v4 lobby on the match list. These larger games would be more likely to fill up, especially at certain times. If they are always available without someone having to take initiative. Because of the small playerbase, some people never get to play these maps. And even i have barely seen a 4v4 in the last months.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Always running 3v3 & 4v4 lobby
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:15:45 am »
So true, I've barely ever seen flayed hills and red sepulcher.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:02:24 am »
Some way around this is Add/Subtract ship option from this thread:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4685.0.html

This way when you have 2v2 lobby and you feel like waiting for 2 more ships - you can make 3v3 lobby without people leaving. I mailed this to Muse and we'll see what they will say.

Also I'd reeeeaaaaaaally like to see some better (mandatory) tutorials which could partialy also solve this problem. I'd like a "Game modes" tutorial (anyone playing Crazy King / Capture Point with novice player knows what I'm talking about)

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:40:32 am »
The real way around this is the Matchmaker, which will let these matches form and fill up rapidly whenever people feel like playing them.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:00:50 am »
The real way around this is the Matchmaker, which will let these matches form and fill up rapidly whenever people feel like playing them.
You really think enough people play this game, that with matchmaking, a 4v4 will fill up rapidly?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:03:02 am by Dutch Vanya »

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:31:48 pm »
You really think enough people play this game, that with matchmaking, a 4v4 will fill up rapidly?

of what I understand of matchmaking, I think that if someone wants to just start one on a whim, it will fill up worlds faster - though I still probably wouldn't use the term "rapidly".  If people see a 3v3 with only a small handful of people in it, it'll usually get passed up in favor of a 2v2 that's half-full because it'll start faster.  Right now you basically need a clan or a large group of friends to help you start one, and matchmaking doesn't have that sort of discretion.

I don't know.  this is a great idea for the system we have in place right now, but it's about to change drastically, and there's not enough people in the dev app to get a good feel of how quickly these will fill.  I think I want to feel out what happens when matchmaking goes in.

at that, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think matchmaking is supposed to try to first fill the lobbies that have been open and waiting the longest.  by that, if there's always a 3v3 or 4v4 open, unless a match for it just ended, it'll always try to fill those first, even if it's a slow night and there's not enough people to do so...

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:36:36 pm »
I wrote my post but meanwhile the shaelyn post came in and it's pretty much what I've been meaning to say and even more.

So, shaelyn, +1

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:02:33 pm »

of what I understand of matchmaking, I think that if someone wants to just start one on a whim, it will fill up worlds faster - though I still probably wouldn't use the term "rapidly".  If people see a 3v3 with only a small handful of people in it, it'll usually get passed up in favor of a 2v2 that's half-full because it'll start faster.  Right now you basically need a clan or a large group of friends to help you start one, and matchmaking doesn't have that sort of discretion.

I don't know.  this is a great idea for the system we have in place right now, but it's about to change drastically, and there's not enough people in the dev app to get a good feel of how quickly these will fill.  I think I want to feel out what happens when matchmaking goes in.

at that, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think matchmaking is supposed to try to first fill the lobbies that have been open and waiting the longest.  by that, if there's always a 3v3 or 4v4 open, unless a match for it just ended, it'll always try to fill those first, even if it's a slow night and there's not enough people to do so...

In one of the matchmaking tests, we made a 4v4 match. At the time, it bugged because there weren't enough people on, and people kept leaving, which was screwing it up, but things have been put in place that will fix that for the future. This means that, when I start a 4v4, within 3-5 minutes, it should be full, or starting anyway. Compared to maybe 20-40 minutes like we have now, that IS rapidly XD If that bug hadn't happened, and people didn't keep leaving and joining, which basically kept resetting the timer to 60 until we got the match to finally start, we could have had the match going in 3 min tops, with a small pop situation of like 30-40 people in total on the dev app. This shows that it IS possible, especially at high pop times, to get a 4v4 or 3v3 going pretty fast, especially compared to now.