Author Topic: Lets Talk Gatling  (Read 21805 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Lets Talk Gatling
« on: August 23, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
Honestly I've little faith in the weapon. When you enter CQC engagements, flames and carronade cause instant havoc and quick results while gat...1 clip, 2 clip, and sometimes more, finally armor goes down. Just takes far too long. Half the shots are hitting components and not hitting the hull but heavy clip so blech so can't use that. When you are engaging Junkers and Galleons they can just sit there laughing while you pin prick them cause they know you're never going to crack that armor in time.

In killing power, we've got our range engagements, we've got our mid range, and now we've got nothing but disable in close. Sure some use CQC kill builds still but often times I notice them ramming or bringing in a side gun with extra arc to make it work. So lets talk Gatling. It sucks, so what can be done? Reload speed? Ammo adjustment? Tiny buff to dmg?

Easy answer is just run it buffed all the time but imo, there is something wrong if anything needs a tool to make it viable. Tools should make something "Oh crap its buffed! Tank Tank Tank!!"

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Talk Gatling
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:19 pm »
I think the gat is fine.

Offline Baron Saturday

• Salutes: 2
    • [A&G]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:35:29 pm »
I run gats on my junker and pyra and it's more than fine.  Every gun needs a good gunner that knows how to use it and knows what ammo type to use in it.  I've found the gun is best place on a pyra or a junker where they can have a supporting gun.  The gat will burn armor very fast.  Galleons are my ideal target for that reason.  They turn too slow generally to do anything about me and that gives us time to do what we need to do with the gat.  I try to avoid other junkers, but they pose little problem when the clan is on in a PUG.

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 12:01:25 am »
Um.. you do realize that a gat can 1 clip any ship armor right? (even galleon armor, though that is tougher) If it is taking more than 1 clip that is a problem with the gunner not the gun.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:06:34 am by nhbearit »

Offline Baron Saturday

• Salutes: 2
    • [A&G]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 12:53:34 am »
Um.. you do realize that a gat can 1 clip any ship armor right? (even galleon armor, though that is tougher) If it is taking more than 1 clip that is a problem with the gunner not the gun.

This is accurate.

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 02:02:50 am »

That doesn't account for the engies on the other ship doing the job and actually repairing their ship, a few mallet hits could make it 2-3 clips to take out a junker or galleon armor. However I don't think the gatling needs a buff (as in muse makes it better) considering it does fine in a basic meta set up while carros and flamers work better for balloons and disables, even then a gatling can still work well at taking out guns and engines if it is buffed or uses heavy clip.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:57:07 am »
The gat is fine where it is.
It can oneclipkill pyras and even junkers if the enemy does a mistake.
Take greased+buff and see those armor fall with nothing for the enemy engineer to do.
For everything else that isnt a oneclip you got that rather short reload time.

And the buff is only needed to counter the enemys buff. How you want to kill a buff without a buff? Thats the reason you buff cause the pyra got 840ish armor with buff and your unbuffed gat cant strip through. If theres no buff on the enemy you dont need one of your own.
And didnt you talk about outmaneuvering the enemy? If your gat doesnt get the instakill on a junker or galli (for which those are designed with their tankyness) you have to place yourself in a way the enemy cant react. Sure youre dead if you stay on their broadside and in their perfect arcs.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 04:21:23 am »

Show me the gunner who can reliably (that is 8 out of 10 times) oneclip any ship which has a competent engineers during approach to brawl without a buff on the gatling. Mind ye, even with buffs, the gat only has a 20% boost to damage while hulls get 30%.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:25:08 am by Sprayer »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:26:40 am »
The gattling gun is very much fun, flamer and carronade do their thing, and the gat does its thing.
Gattling does a job that most guns need in order to destroy the enemy ship

While flamer and carronade need alot more time. Flamer can create havoc but it can be countered.
Carronade can take out baloon and maybe some components, but it still wont create dread on the ship.

Gattling however takes armor down, which is the most important thing to keep up. Once that armor is down, you can die.
Gattling doesnt suck at all. Where did you really get that from?

The only other armor piercing gun that i think is a bit too strong is the hades in comparison. It not been changed since release and good use of hades is always better than gattling which i think is a troubling sign.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 07:49:52 am »
They actually did buff the hades a bit soon after release. They made it easier to shoot at least.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 08:10:26 am »
Hum, you are probably running with gunners who are aiming incorrectly.

I actually hate the gatling and think it is too powerful XD

It is true that without buff, it is possible with decent luck to outengineer the gat for ONE strip, but barely.

The trick is to spanner until mallet is 100% effective. I'm not sure if all engineers know this, but you really should in order to save your ship. VS a bad gunner you can save your ship and setup a counterattack. VS buffed gat or a good gunner, you're just buying a little bit of time.

Also I am pretty sure with any engineer you cannot one clip a galleon. Junker is even harder, as the hit box is tiny and 50% of the hittable area are guns/engines.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 09:46:43 am »
Not only that, the gattling can be combined into dual more reliably (From yourself or teamate) 2 gattlings is extremely powerfull, better thann dual carronades and flamers.

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:51:04 am »

That doesn't account for the engies on the other ship doing the job and actually repairing their ship, a few mallet hits could make it 2-3 clips to take out a junker or galleon armor. However I don't think the gatling needs a buff (as in muse makes it better) considering it does fine in a basic meta set up while carros and flamers work better for balloons and disables, even then a gatling can still work well at taking out guns and engines if it is buffed or uses heavy clip.
I did actually include repairs when I said that. The thing is you won't get more than 1 mallet hit in before the gatling has finished it's clip so to double check my math, figure out how much damage a gat can do in 1 clip (dmgpshot * shotsinclip) and compare it to the armor of whatever you're shooting at (add in the repair power for a mallet if you want).

Show me the gunner who can reliably (that is 8 out of 10 times) oneclip any ship which has a competent engineers during approach to brawl without a buff on the gatling. Mind ye, even with buffs, the gat only has a 20% boost to damage while hulls get 30%.
In a gat, I consider unbuffed with normal ammo the absolute worst case scenario. If you're running anything with less hull stripping ability, well you're really trying to get yourself killed. I don't know if there are gunners who can reliably 1 clip a galleon with an unbuffed gat and normal rounds. Most of the time, greased rounds are what's in the buffed gat on my ship. However, buffed gallys are interesting beasts to bring down, and they are VERY rare. Against a buffed galleon, it would be ridiculously hard (You'd need to land every shot on hull.) If I see comp. teams start to bring gallys I might start experimenting with burst/heatsink ammo for the extra shots (But that might be a horrible idea in practice, I haven't tried it.) Now to return to the question of the reliable gat gunner, Duck Ponds are Tuesday nights at 8pm edt and Thursday nights at 10pm edt. I hope to see you there.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 12:13:28 pm »
Just FYI, greased does the same total damage as normal, with the caveat that it expends the clip faster.

That is the only benefit of greased rounds.

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 12:14:49 pm »
Gilder each post of yours regarding balance is considerably more hilarious than the previous one :D
At this point I'm not even sure what game you're imagining you're playing while in GoIo.