Author Topic: Flame Vortex Cannon: Ixion  (Read 27614 times)

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
Re: Flame Vortex Cannon: Ixion
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 01:58:57 am »
Sounds cool, but rather than shooting rings of fire perhaps we could have a full on support weapon that does low damage but could push enemy ships around when close, send rockets flying in every direction and maybe being able to extinguish fire on team mates. If this did exit than it would be the only support gun in the game, so balancing it would be a huge deal that could go badly. However a Goldfish flying around with something like this could work as the perfect support ship for pyras because the fish could divert enemy rocket fire into random directions, keep his team mate from catching fire and blasting the enemy ship into different directions.

This could be very interesting and open up a whole new way to play GOI, but then again a big shift like this could upset balance

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 02:38:39 am »
I was playing around in class yesterday and decided to model and animate a vortex cannon for this thread. Will post results.

Offline Nietzsche's Mustache

• Salutes: 27
    • [IISC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 05:47:47 pm »
Bumping this thread for support. I really dig the idea as a medium range gun, similar in range to a heavy carronade or a hwacha. Primary damage impact and secondary fire? Or vice versa? I think I like the latter.

Might have to see if there's a way to make the weapon more effective as the range draws nearer, so that way it can be used to knock charging foes off-course but won't make it impossible for a pyra to charge you. That could be a bit weird to implement, but I'm thinking it would be similar to arming time. But then instead of having an on/off switch for secondary damage, you would multiply secondary damage by 1/time. (Maybe change the 1 depending upon how it balances.)

The other thing I'm curious about is how to implement direct damage when the projectile is shaped like a ring. It might be necessary to either create a ring of flamethrower - like particles or instead ditch the notion of ring - shaped projectiles in favor of an AoE that expands with the timeing.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 06:40:13 pm »
The ring would not really be large enough for anything to pass through the center, other than mines, so I would just make it a single large projectile. I have been pondering the usage and limitations of this weapon, and think the range should be somewhere between the hwacha and carronade. Perhaps 900m.

I have asked about falloff damage based on range before, but I think the answer was vague as far as if it is easily possible.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 03:27:54 am »
Coming from Dark Souls, of course I would suggest something as ludicrous as "Parrying".

The ability to see or predict incoming projectile shots and be able to time the weapon to deflect would mean that a weapon like this would serve as a temporary shield and potentially high damaging weapon.
We could see this as a potential support/ utility weapon, and by no less than a heavy weapon at that.

Another potential for this weapon could be the ability to blow mines into a more favorable position.
E.g a galleon with a port side mine launcher, heavy carronade, and Flame vortex cannon.
The mine launcher could place 5 well place mines into a wall, and if the enemy decides to dart behind said-no man's land. The flame vortex cannon could bring no-man's land to the enemy. Also the carronade if they try to go under.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 07:32:08 am »
 :o DO WANT.

This is three times more original than anything I've come up with.  Great idea!

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »
Words cannot describe the love of this idea :)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 03:19:38 pm »
I was just randomly perusing the forum and saw a thread complaining about too many clouds, and thought it would be interesting to have a gun that could remove of reduce them temporarily... like a huge fan. Some gun to blow a lot of air or disturb the clouds temporarily. Then it struck me. I already suggested one.

Added ability to the Ixion: Disrupts clouds it hits, perhaps making them more transparent or punching holes through them.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 04:03:01 pm »
Someone once suggested weapon creating clouds and the response was: "Another particle weapon? Rrrright....." :P

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 04:55:19 pm »
You know, what if the Flame Vortex cannon, could deflect someone's tar cloud?

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »
What would you guys think about the different ammo types for this gun?

I mean I guess incendiary would add more fire,
heavy clip would concentrate all the force into one small unit
Burst would increase it's shot spread (maybe)
Heatsink could maybe act like a flame remover for an ally ship
And lochnagar would be the equivalent to Pre-patch Slingshot Velcro

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »
What would you guys think about the different ammo types for this gun?

I mean I guess incendiary would add more fire,
heavy clip would concentrate all the force into one small unit
Burst would increase it's shot spread (maybe)
Heatsink could maybe act like a flame remover for an ally ship
And lochnagar would be the equivalent to Pre-patch Slingshot Velcro

I think you misunderstand the purpose of heatsink... it weakens dmg. its the only thing that effects what comes out of the gun... its not some fire extinguisher. its a chem spray (for only that gun) in ammo form.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 06:29:16 pm »
Heavy clip would not do anything for this weapon, since it has no recoil or spread. It just has a very large, single projectile (or particle?). Burst, not sure of. Depends on any AOE effects of the secondary damage or the hit behavior. Since it would act more like flamethrower when hitting than a bullet, Burst could increase the fire spread, impact being primary and fire being AOE secondary.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 07:52:16 pm »
as for that deflecting bullets thing. lol that aint happening.

I did notice you can hit explosive shells like flak and mines and stuff. So I do see it being possible for the projectile to be made of a hitbox where explosive shells impact upon it exploding/impacting as if it hit a ship.

It just wouldnt work on flames or gat or carronade (and maybe hades, I never seen it get a hit mark b4-easily testable via flamer), since those do not have hit boxes in the same way objects with arming time do.

In theory as it stands, a skilled gunner can actually shoot down flak shells if deadly accurate and using something that breaks parts easily like heavyclip on a merc gun or super accurate gat fire or more conceivably carron fire.

Thus far though I've only seen hit marks via flamer.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 04:01:40 am »
I know what Heatsink does, I have not come this far to be ignorant of at least one ammo type.

As for deflecting projectiles I never had any intention for this idea to be implemented.
Muse is an extremely small studio, of course such a grandiose concept would be ludicrous as I stated before

I had the idea that it would shoot many particles in a wave form (kinda like shooting a wave of mines) and the impact damage, while small would trigger at each particle. That way, heavy clip could make more of these particles hit a specific component or part of the ship. Burst would increase the size of the particles.

As for the deflecting idea, I had the idea it would work more like a shield (deflecting was a weird afterthought), basically the hitbox of the vortex's wave would trigger the incoming projectile to trigger. In labyrinth when I was flaming a ship inside the globe, not all of the projectiles went through the scaffolding.
Also, flamers don't go through buildings or mountains so I had the idea that, if shot directly, you could trigger the projectile before it hit the ship. Basically having a wall or mountain hitbox in the vortex's projectile hitbox.

This gun isn't even out so I just thought I'd put down as many ideas as possible, so excuse the ludicrous ideas and concepts