Author Topic: Ship Suggestions - Jellyfish - Or something like it...  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Nadrynne

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
Ship Suggestions - Jellyfish - Or something like it...
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:55:21 pm »
Some months back I did a sketch of a ship idea I called the jellyfish. I sort of wanted to keep the whole aquatic theme going. As I have just recently got back into playing GoI, I thought I'd share my idea!

It needs a third engine I know. Anyway. The idea is it would be able to turn quickly but it would be very slow. But you could never "sneak up" on it as it would always have all angles covered. On the otherhand, they are only covered by a single light gun each. So it wouldn't be overpowered even if you put four old-version mercury cannons on it.

What do the rest of you think?

The sketch is below!

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Suggestions - Jellyfish - Or something like it...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:05:40 pm »
I like the design, but I think that it would be OP. It'd be unbelievably easy to engineer on, with the hull and balloon so close to each other and the engines fairly close by. You could easily afford to have a buff engineer, who could sit next to a merc (probably the rear gun) as the gunner shoots it. Then I'd put a carronade on the front, and a flak or something on each side. You'd be able to get both into focus at once with the carronade's wide arc.

Offline Nadrynne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:22:23 pm »
Yes, the engineering thing is something I was wondering. Perhaps if it was split into three decks with things distributed more (helm and balloon on top for example)? or three decks and the third engine on a fourth to spread things around?

I've never really played the engineer role as it is not my thing so I've given less thought to that.

The concept is a "tall" (a tall profile with multiple decks) and slow but fast turning ship. A sort of "sentry" ship if you will.

But we have the spire so I dunno if the whole idea is just retreading old ground, so to speak.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:28:17 pm »
You'd definitely need to put the balloon on a different deck, or else it'd get too easy. Maybe have a ladder leading up to it and the main engine above.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:48:58 pm »
It's like a cute squished Spire <3

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:59:16 pm »
I think with the narrow space that you could put two weapons on an overlap, coupled with the large balloon area, the engines and hull are well matched to be near one another.
Place the balloon near the captain like the junker and spire and it be good to go.  Love this idea by the way, absolutely beautiful drawing.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:01:11 am »
i recommend you build an indoor staircase as well as a master bedroom, bout time one of these freaking ships should look livable

Offline FourAmPudding

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 01:05:18 am »
i recommend you build an indoor staircase as well as a master bedroom, bout time one of these freaking ships should look livable

Maybe a small vegetable garden while you're at it. A veranda to sip tea on while watching the sun rise would be nice too.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 03:27:06 am »
TL;DR, the ship is gorgeous, but it is too simple. Adding more floors and reconsidering placement of systems would balance it out and make it a more rewarding ship to fly on.

I like the ship design, however, I think that system placement should be reconsidered. A sort of hierarchy of importance should exist, at least in my book. The hull is the most important, so engineers will always have to get to this place. However, it should be a risk when choosing to abandon that post for other places. By placing more systems in closer areas to each other, the risk/reward becomes more tempting.

For example, if the Hull was on a theoretical third deck by itself, it would be easy to sit up there and repair as required.

The second tier could include a gun, the main engine, the helm, and the balloon. This would make the engineer decide on whether or not he should jump down to repair that important system, and help the gun keep up its DPS, or let the Pilot smack the balloon every once and a while to keep it healthy. This would make climbing back up a mild inconvenience, but would still halt the engineer from abandoning the hull in crises.

The first tier, and lowest floor, could contain the turning engines and the remaining guns. This would make the bottom-most floor the most risky to fall to, because it would take a much longer time to get back up to the hull. However, the first tier contains the majority of the damage output for the ship because the engines control the ship's ability to keep a bead on a target(and the guns themselves, I suppose). The engineer would then have to decide if he should let the lower deck fend for themselves, or if a quick fall to help rebuild a gun could lead to a victory. This would definitely place more weight on the gunner's role down there, but the close proximity of all the systems would be balanced by the gunner's lack of tools, or requiring a gungineer to camp downstairs, and therfore, losing those two extra ammo types.

Because the Spire has its hull at the bottom, it is easy to reach by simply falling down the ladder carriage from the top-most floor. This allows a more risky engineer to float around the top deck. If the Jellyfish had a reverse of this, it would allow for the inverse event- spontaneous and quick-to-appear repairs all over the ship. Whether or not this is a good idea is up to debate.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:30:57 am by Cul »

Offline Nadrynne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 09:58:55 pm »
So more like this perhaps?

Perhaps the ladders to each level could be offset too so you couldn't just fall from the highest to the lowest.

I envisioned the thing as a sentry or guard ship, so I'd want to stick to the very spinny but slow idea. Do you think that is workable?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 10:18:30 pm »
Hmm... You'd be able to have an engineer camp the top deck, have a second engineer on the middle deck, and a gunner on the bottom. It'd be much less OP, but I think it would still be too easy to crew on.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:59:32 am »
That is what I imagined when I wrote that response, actually. Great sketch, and good job interpreting my text wall! :D

However, like N-Sunderland said, one crewman per tier, plus the pilot, would make each person's job very straightforward, which I didn't take into consideration. If there were obstacles on-board the ship that made moving around a sort of chore, that wouldn't solve the person-per-floor problem. If each person's job was spread over more than one floor, that could solve it.

I suck at drawing, but I definitely do better with brainstorming by doing so... so here ya are- I took much longer than I care to admit to draw this.

(I forgot to add the third ladder, but I already uploaded it. Oh darn.)

I drew this up trying to spread out the jobs as much as possible, without it being completely unfeasible. The hull is by itself, save for a rear-facing gun. If that rear-facing gun could have a crossing weapon arc with the left-firing gun, it would definitely be balanced- the hull always needs someone, and the ship would want to take advantage of that gun's crossing arc, so they would want a gunner there, too. Pulling double duty would lead to difficulty, so this might be a good choice.

If the lowest deck had the balloon and the right-facing gun, which overlaps with the other gun's arc, this could also give that gunner the extra duty to nurse the balloon. The balloon was a difficult choice, though. If it was up on its own platform, or out of the way in any sort of fashion, it would require someone to go out of their way to repair it, not simply whack it in route to their next duty. This would give the engineers a choice- go gun, or go out of their way to help that balloon. This balloon could be anywhere, I suppose.

And the helm doesn't face the way where the most DPS can take place. That will take skillful piloting, and not simply an 'easy-mode activate full throttle forward' sort of deal.

Whatdayathink?