Author Topic: No... I promise you, that is not how that works  (Read 24543 times)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
No... I promise you, that is not how that works
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:19:12 am »
We all have plenty of stories of players fundamentally misunderstanding various aspect of the game. While I don't celebrate mocking the ignorant, there will always be those that just refuse to be taught. This is a place for compiling stories about those people, people that allow good advice to fall on deaf ears. This is not a place to laugh at a new player bringing burst for a chain gun, this is a place to laugh at a player that can't be dissuaded from bringing burst and argues passionately for it. Ya dig? No names but please give levels.

I'll start.

A bit ago I had a player who brought moonshine, kerosene, and phoenix claw. I was inquiring about this (it wasn't CP and we were on a mobula) and he decided to describe to me the tools.

Phoenix buffs turn speed for no damage
Kerosene buffs turn speed more for some damage
Moonshine (correct) increases speed, reduces turns, much damage.

I tried explaining to him several times how he was wrong about Kero and Phoenix, but he kept on insisting on his distinction and after many calls for "Doing a kerosene turn" I had to shut this down. I went back to a turn engine and asked him to leave Phoenix on for a bit. As he watched as the engine died he yelled at me for sabotaging his engines and he promptly left the game.

Level 6 pilot.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: No... I promise you, that is not how that works
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:25:42 am »
Ahh yes, the classic Engineer tool, the "Chainsaw": Deals 60 dps to all engines. You thought you could trick him, did you, Sammy? Stop trolling these poor innocent pilots. :P

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:28:26 am »
I have had the same experience with new pilots not knowing Phoenix burnt engines. It makes sense why kerosine and moonshine damages engines since they are fuel additives but "Lucky Chicken Foot" doesn't seem to carry the same connotation. I don't like it when new pilots burn their engines constantly and call it their "flying style." If they keep it on long enough I announce that I am "going on strike" and let the engines burn out. It is better that a new pilot learn that always on kerosine is a bad idea before they make contact with the enemy than to discover they just destroyed their engines because the main engineer was to busy keeping the hull up.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:04:50 pm »
Burst Gatling does actually more damage per clip than greased... with no range reduction...

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:11:26 pm »
Maybe but you will probably loose the instagib ability.
I know there is a way to nearly outrepair a greased gatling (~3 shots left at hullbreak with perfect aiming). I could imagine that the reduced rate of fire from burst would make this a sure counterrepair.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 02:06:35 pm »
I've played as an engineer on a flak spire recently.
After our gunner kindly asked "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING ON MY MERC?" and our pilot requested me to release it as well, I've been taught how useless charged rounds were in a merc due to the reduced fire rate. A bit baffled by this mind blowing input I've lost interest in any further discussion and silently manned the flak. The game went on with our gunner announcing his loch shots and "merc kills".

Level 9 gunner and lvl 5 pilot (most likely friends)

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »
Hm ... i should really read the threads and not just the last two posts :D.

Ive also heard about the op burst gat.
Ive also heard that burst adds explosive damage! Even though they trusted me when i told them they were wrong ...

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 12:27:13 pm »
Allied Captain: My crew won't use the front guns
Me: You are flying a galleon, you don't have forward facing guns.
Allied Captain: They still aren't using them.
*looks over at ally's part of the battle, he is kiting a pyramidion with a galleon*

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:41:15 pm »
Burst Gatling does actually more damage per clip than greased... with no range reduction...
Yes, but what about the DPS? And don't tell me Burst makes Flamethrower's deal more damage too.

*remembers several games of engi-ing on ships with a high level pilot while he yelled at the lvl 1 gunner putting Burst and Heavy Clip into everything*

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:07 pm »
Yes, but what about the DPS? And don't tell me Burst makes Flamethrower's deal more damage too.

*remembers several games of engi-ing on ships with a high level pilot while he yelled at the lvl 1 gunner putting Burst and Heavy Clip into everything*

When I have to choose between burst and normal rounds for flamer, I am going with burst. It hits way more (it does make a difference once you know how big these ships actually are) and if you wanna have 20 stacks of fire really quickly it only takes around 0.4 seconds longer, and if I remember correctly you do outlast chem spray with the burst flamer.

And do contribute to the thread: A captain of a double flak pyramidion refusing to accept the concept of piercing damage. In the end he was begged into using double gatling so his ally could at least make some kills with the piercing support. He lost and then complained that with flaks everything would have gone better.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:39:18 pm by Dementio »

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 11:18:21 pm »

When I have to choose between burst and normal rounds for flamer, I am going with burst. It hits way more (it does make a difference once you know how big these ships actually are) and if you wanna have 20 stacks of fire really quickly it only takes around 0.4 seconds longer, and if I remember correctly you do outlast chem spray with the burst flamer.

And do contribute to the thread: A captain of a double flak pyramidion refusing to accept the concept of piercing damage. In the end he was begged into using double gatling so his ally could at least make some kills with the piercing support. He lost and then complained that witwh flaks everything would have gone better.
What I find amusing if that's the case is how many high lvl and experienced captains beg their newbie crew to use vanilla rounds if they brought nothing but bursts. I guess they're all about the fastest way possible. Time is quite valuable.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:14:04 am »
Dementio, whats even worse is when the inverse happens. Captain brings a bad build that you try and explain doesn't do much but your ally carries the team to victory so new captain is taught his javelin/flak Junker was actually effective.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:40:52 pm »
Pilot lvl3 insisting on firing mortar all the time on the gat-mortar combo despite being thought by all his crew that this is not how it works (respectevily lvls 5, 6, 8 ).

Pilot lvl4 with Heavy Flak at the front of the Goldfish, regular flak on one side and flamer on other.

And my favourite one: pilot lvl4 on crazy king goes towards D point when A point is active (and like 10-20 secs for B).
Me: Where are you going? Go for B
Him: I'm going for D
Me: But....why?!
Him: It's neutral.
It turned out to be his first crazy king.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:19:36 pm »
Level 4 gunner running around trying to fire every gun on my Junker because his gun is not in arc because it is a gunners job to figure out which guns to shoot, then firing the top deck mortar on an undamaged enemy. All the time cursing at the other crew members that are actually listening to my orders.

Loch hwacha is really good at close range.

Burst carro makes balloons burst.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:28:39 pm »
Captain with 24 games:

Dude, you know how many games I've owned in with this build.  I don't lose with this build.

Pyri with flak-banshee front.