Author Topic: Control the lobbies  (Read 29666 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Control the lobbies
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:28:02 am »
I know that Muse is doing everything to make lobbies dissapear. But for the time being it's the only way to play and I think some control would be useful. I mean the ability to kick / move people either by creator of the game or the captains. Many times had I had a situation when one person would spoil the match for the rest of the crew (for example a greenhorn who decided to be a second gunner on the squid) and I think it's the problem worth looking into it.

Pros:
-Games will be more competetive
-Ability to remove trolls or other unpleasant people from the game/team

Cons:
-Greenhorns can be stigmatized and rejected by more experienced players
-Also potential for trolling

I suggest this would be a vote-based kick from the team, and it wouldn't kick the player to the lobby, only move him to be spectator (so if he wants he can join another team). There's also an option that while making a game we can decide whether kick option is availible or not - then browsing through a lobby we could choose if we want a kick-able or non-kick-able lobby.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Control the lobbies
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:01:11 am »
Hi Mr.Disaster,

Kicking is an option that in game mods and admins have, if there is an issue that can not be resolved please contact a CA Mod to help smooth the situation over.Like you stated in your post the cons are new players will be rejected by people who are more experienced and we have all been in situations were a new player joins doesn't really know what to do and just wants to shoot things and gets shouted at. This is an issue we are trying to resolve with the matchmaking so the lobbies are more balanced and streamlined. As for games being more competitive in pub games i don't really see it, perhaps join a clan that scrims and enters tournaments to scratch that itch. pub games are the place for fun and practice and should not be taking to seriously, at the end of the day the main aim for the game is to have fun with it.

If you have any other issues or questions regarding kicking or getting in touch with somone who can help with trouble players feel free to email me at greyt@musegames.com. Or if you have some ideas on how we can still deal with the issues without kicking perhaps somthing matchmaking does not cover, please email feedback@musegames.com.

Thanks

Kind regards and Safe Skies

Grey T

Offline Hillerton [PC]

• Salutes: 10
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:52:12 am »
Even tho I agree that a kick function would be bad I have to say it's a really dumb stance to take that pubs "are just for fun don't take it seriously".  Some people my self included loves the challenge of perfecting their play, as such we have more fun being serious. I don't feel jokers/trolls should be given a free card to mess with that just because it's a pub lobby.

As well not we everyone have the time to dedicate or even the skill to partake in the competitive seen. They will most likely get the skill in time, but maybe they want to play "competitively" on a lower skill level and not be trolled or hated on?

Ti;dr don't use pub lobby's as an excuse for trolls or hostile behaviour.

Best wishes Hillerton:-)

Ps no hard feelings, just seen this excuse a few to many times from ppl trolling:-(

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:07:23 am »
Trolls and hostile behavior can be dealt with, But there is those who do not troll, and simply pick up the game on the weekends for an hour or two,

These people might be new to the game and just want to shoot nothing more nothing less, but because they are not high enough level they might get kicked or the fact they might be hunting an ammo achievement also might get kicked that is why i say kicking would be a bad idea,

But also because they do not change class, or ammo, is that trolling? Forcing someone to do something or leave sounds more abusive and hostile than the person who is just wanting to shoot or get that last achievement.

We have ca mods with the ability to remove trolls but also you can not force people to play exactly how you want them to, the risk of public lobbies is you have to deal with everyday players not just vets of the game or serious crowd,

I can see where your coming from, but i also think clans should try to arrange friendly matches to perfect and train with there clan rather than pub lobbies or invite people you know will play serious. Because the bigger picture is there are more people who do not play serious than those that do, and if them people are discouraged then the competitive community will not grow, and we will get a rift of elitism and divide which is obviously the worse case scenario everybody spends money on the same game long as they don't break the rules they can play however they want, double gunner all mine ships long as they enjoy the game no one has the right to stop them like i say if they are following the rules,

I hope you can understand where i am coming from :) i can see both sides but somtimes you just got to accept that you will get players who want to take heavy for the merc or 2 gunner mobula :)

Offline Hillerton [PC]

• Salutes: 10
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:43:43 am »
Should probably clarify that I'm not arguing for a kick funktion or forcing any thing, but rather against the part that you shouldn't take pub lobbies seriously. As for newer players that is all their is.

I have seen this argument been used a lot to justify trolling or other behaviour that can ruin the fun for some players. I'm all for pll having a laugh but not sure if it should be on the cost of someone else's fun.  And arguments like "don't take pub lobbies to serusily" can easily be used as an excuse to do so.

So you are totally right about kicks and controlling the lobby. Just don't like to see arguments that can and have been used to support trolling and running the fun for players used as an excuse from muse why to not have a kick (I do count you as muse even if it's your personal opinion)

And of course a difference has to be made between newer or unknowing players and trolls;-)

But yes I totally see what you mean to say and is just nitpicking as I don't like that one part of your argument and have 3 hours to kill;-P

Offline The Creeping Sloth

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 12:23:16 pm »
I have played only for 24 hrs, but it was enough to notice that everyone agrees on one thing.
Most common thing that prolongs the waiting, is the 1 guy that refuses to listen and take the gear required of him. Endless frustration of captains who compiled the guns on they`r ships in a specific way, and ask the crew to pick up a certain ammo type or a tool to buff, with zero response from the certain members of the crew)

My proposition is, give a higher lvl captains power to choose loadouts and maby classes for lower level players, sort of crew recruitment) And give an option to comply or leave the crew. And I repeat, only for higher lvl captains, so the authority on the matter will not be questioned.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 12:47:20 pm »
The accepted way of dealing with that one guy who doesn't listen is to abandon him. Find a slot on another ship, (preferably one that will be shooting at the guy). Sometimes an entire lobby will relocate if a well liked captain says he/she doesn't want to fly with a certain player. If the offending player persists in following you get a mod involved (they are usually lurking in global chat), they do have kick powers. If there is a clear chat log of this person following you in spite of your requests to the contrary you have grounds to say it is harassment.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 01:01:27 pm »
Then you tell 15 or more people to sacrifice themselves for the sake of one who is unwilling to cooperate. That's a little crazy for me. Our community is really friendly and I strongly believe that nobody would use kick option if it wasn't a last resort.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 01:04:51 pm »
Then you tell 15 or more people to sacrifice themselves for the sake of one who is unwilling to cooperate. That's a little crazy for me. Our community is really friendly and I strongly believe that nobody would use kick option if it wasn't a last resort.
Kicking system has as much chance for a trolling tool as it does for something that helps combat it.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 01:09:28 pm »
Hypothetically if a kick function was in,

3 votes from the ship to kick 1 member from the ship

6 votes from the team to kick from the team,

12 to kick from lobby

would be a nice way to do it, However What would be the point in Moderators? and what would stop people from kicking level 1s from a high level game, or somone who wants to gun or run a fun/silly build?

Like i said before kicking has more flaws perhaps a better way to contact a mod might be a better option,

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 01:30:36 pm »
As I said - our community is really friendly. I've actually never seen real trolls, and never seen a high(er) lvl player to discriminate or humiliate the low lvl player. People only get nervous when they see unreachable greenhorns without any will to listen or cooperate, not mentioning they even shouldn't be in normal (called "advanced") games. I'd rather see this option really limited (like - give it only for people with lvl 10 in Pilot) than not to see it at all. The solution mentioned by Grey T is also some compromise which I would be willing to give a shot.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 01:44:20 pm »

Any one who has played GOI for a long period of time can sympathize with having to deal with an uncooperative crew member. I have seen full 16 person games empty out and reform in a new lobby because of one troll. It is not so much of a sacrifice as an inconvenience of having to join game on the guy who said "I am going to form a new lobby" and reform your crew. I think it also conveys message "nobody likes you" better to the troll when 15 people turn their back on him simultaneously.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 02:54:23 pm »
Or you can just send me a message on Steam I'm almost always around I'll come help you handle the situation;.

Offline Safewood

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:50:02 pm »
@ Grey T:
Even though I don't mind, I would like to point out, what's fun for some doesn't necessarily reflect on others as fun. You're doing this because you think it's fun, but others might find it frustrating, because a Galleon with flamethrowers only is outright stupid.

A veto would be the best of both worlds, so you don't need to rely on moderators. If someone goes a "trolly" build, and the majority finds it annoying rather than interesting, then the one captain should cater to the majority than the majority catering to the single captain.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:15 pm »
You can't have a Galleon with only flamethrowers >.>

Flamethrowers only can be quite effective in pub matches <.<

I get your point, but if you don't like a build on a ship... just move to a different one.