Author Topic: Novice Lobby Presets  (Read 6628 times)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Novice Lobby Presets
« on: June 21, 2014, 05:19:52 am »
It is my understanding that the novice lobby loadouts have not been updated for quite a while. Outdated Gat/flak combos seem to be present there and I've even heard rumors about the infamous flak-fish still being selectable. Anyway I'd like to suggest a couple of builds for the beginner ships (pyra, goldie, junker, right?) which are currently quite popular and have been proven to work fine.

Pyra:
1.) gat front right, mortar front left, carro lower side, beacon upper side
2.) hades front right, flak front left, artemis lower side, beacon upper side
3.) artemis front right, mercury front left, flamer lower side, beacon upper side

Goldie:
1.) Carro front, flamer right, banshee left
2.) Hwacha front, gatling right, carronade left
3.) Lumber font, flamer right, beacon left

Junker:
1.) Beacon front, hades low left, flak or banshee top left, gat low right, mortar top right (side guns could be swapped as sets)
2.) Artemis front, artemis low left, artemis top left, gat low right, mortar top right (side guns could be swapped as sets)
3.) Mercury front, 2 gatlings on the lower deck, 2 gatlings on the upper deck
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:23:48 am by Wundsalz »

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Novice Lobby Presets
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 02:45:33 pm »
For reference, current novice loadouts are:

Pyramidion A:

Gatling front right
Mortar front left
Flamethrower lower left middle
Banshee lower left rear

(recommending a flare or carro to replace the banshee, possibly a carronade to replace flamethrower, though I think the flamethrower is fine as it is)

Pyra B:

Gatling front right
Light Flak front left
Artemis lower left middle
Flare lower left rear

(Hades is tough for newbies, not sure how to fix this one)

Pyra C:

Mercury front right
Light Flak front left
Flamer lower left middle
Artemis lower left rear

(Recommend Artemis instead of light flak, and perhaps a flare, carronade, or gat/mortar combo to replace the artemis and/or flamethrower)

Goldfish A:

Heavy Carronade front
Flamethrower right
Gatling left

(this is fine methinks, maybe banshee as Wundsalz has suggested to replace the gatling)

Goldfish B:

Lumberjack front (wow, I was not expecting this :O)
Mortar right (WHAT!?)
Banshee left

(Right side mortar is totally fishy, perhaps a close range weapon to replace this is in order. Perhaps a flamethrower as Wundsalz has suggested. Left side banshee is kinda ehh as well, perhaps a flare gun is a decent replacement.)

Goldfish C:

Hwacha front
Flamethrower right
Artemis left

(Probably fine, although perhaps a gatling instead of the flamethrower would fit better with the hwacha, and as suggested by Wundsalz, a carronade on the left would be more conducive to the hwacha's mainly close range nature at the cost of medium and long range disabling power. Yes, the hwacha can be used with heavy clip for mid and long range, but that is tough for newbies.)

Junker A:

Gat/mortar sides, with the gatlings on the top deck and the mortar on the lower deck.
Gatling at the front.

(Recommend mortars to be swapped to the top with gatlings on the bottom. Otherwise it's probably fine)

Junker B:
Artemis front

Artemis top left
Light Flak lower left

Gatling top right
Gatling lower right

(What is this I don't even XD! I wasn't around during piercing flak and 850m hyper-accurate gatling days XD! I suggest a gat/mortar right side, a mercury/flak left side and a flare or flamer on the front. )

Junker C:

Artemis front

Gatling top right
Mortar lower right

Gatling top left
Light Flak lower left

(Recommend explosive guns be on the top deck and the gatlings on the lower deck. Again, without mounting a Hades, I don't see how to fix the gat/flak side. Perhaps change it to merc/flak? Maybe a carronade/flamer side instead of gat/flak?)

For all 3 of these, the front gun could be swapped to almost anything but solid choices would be mercury, artemis, flamethrower and flare.

I don't think Artemis trifecta should be in here, that would just present a frustrating experience to novices as the gun they just rebuilt gets instantly broken and their armor excruciatingly slowly plinked down to hull.

Too many perhaps used in this post.

Also Wundsalz:

Junker:
3.) Mercury front, 2 gatlings on the lower deck, 2 gatlings on the upper deck
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:49:42 pm by vyew »

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:32:10 pm »
...I'm fairly sure that laser gat was removed or about to be removed when these were implemented...

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:13:42 am »
i made a thread specifically about the Junker novice loadouts a while ago which is relevant: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3191.0.html

There are a lot of good suggestions on improving the Junker novice loadouts in there.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 01:33:01 am »
I think the sole (or at least by far most significant) motivation for introducing  novice load outs was to protect new players from using builds that simply can not work. I do not believe new players need to be protected from more complicated guns like the hades. After all it's not like GoIO introduced ballistical weapons to video games and I do believe it'd be a good idea to let the novice load outs reflect the wide variety of the arsenal GoIO has got to offer.
Exeptions should probably be made for min launchers (as these can (un)intentionally be misused) and flamers (as massive fire spreads would likely overwhelm new players).
Regarding the Artmis trifecta: I personally doubt this would cause too much trouble in novice matches. To establish a lockdown three conditions must be met. 1.) the captain must maintain an arc for all three guns 2.) all other crew members must be on the artemises and 3.) they must aim for components. Frankly I don't believe all these conditions will be met too often in novice matches. And if a 4-pack crew manages to pull this off, they could probably steamroll their foes with any other build as well.

Another idea: short description texts for each load out, briefly elaborating how the ship works.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:35:07 am by Wundsalz »

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 01:45:38 am »
I think the sole (or at least by far most significant) motivation for introducing  novice load outs was to protect new players from using builds that simply can not work. I do not believe new players need to be protected from more complicated guns like the hades. After all it's not like GoIO introduced ballistical weapons to video games and I do believe it'd be a good idea to let the novice load outs reflect the wide variety of the arsenal GoIO has got to offer.
Exeptions should probably be made for min launchers (as these can (un)intentionally be misused) and flamers (as massive fire spreads would likely overwhelm new players).
Regarding the Artmis trifecta: I personally doubt this would cause too much trouble in novice matches. To establish a lockdown three conditions must be met. 1.) the captain must maintain an arc for all three guns 2.) all other crew members must be on the artemises and 3.) they must aim for components. Frankly I don't believe all these conditions will be met too often in novice matches. And if a 4-pack crew manages to pull this off, they could probably steamroll their foes with any other build as well.

Another idea: short description texts for each load out, briefly elaborating how the ship works.

All of this exactly. Descriptions for the Novice Builds would be especially useful for helping new players. This kind of feature could perhaps be extended to a description box that can be filled in by the owner of the ship, and visible to his team and crew when they click it, with descriptions specific to the loadouts. Then they can share with their team notes on the ship, and preferred skill loadouts, and all the crew has to do is click on the ship. This could also be carried over to the Novice Loadouts with recommended tools (perhaps a few different ones so the players at least feel they have some options with the Novice Builds).

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:00:09 pm »

Also name each loadout and extend the loadout naming and description to crew loadouts ;)