Author Topic: Hardcore Parkour: A Quick and Dirty Engineer's Guide to Getting Around  (Read 69310 times)

Offline Opal

• Salutes: 6
    • View Profile
Surprised to see no mention of the 'top' deck to 'bottom' deck gun jump for the Junker in here--maybe it's too simple?  Though I do rarely see it done.

Both the railing and marks on the hull-deck on either the right or left side of the junker provide an easy frame of reference for the position of the lower deck guns.  By jumping over the railing where the second to last 'spike' sticks up (you know, the |--|--|--| on either side?) and holding back towards the ship, you can easily land on the gun or gundeck below, allowing you to slip onto the main engine or lower deck guns very quickly from the upper deck.  Once you're used to this, it's not hard to make the jump from different angles, as well.

Also, someone mentioned the rigging on the Galleon above--you can actually climb around in a lot of the rigging in a bunch of the ships.  With many it's of limited use, although I suppose there could be applications for pre-battle spotting positions (I know I love to climb in the rigging of the Junker for this myself.)  Almost tempted to start a thread about it, but I dunno if it'd be much use to anyone lol.

Offline Enjix

• Salutes: 3
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Just found a new jump tonight I haven't heard of.

On the pyra, you can jump over the railing as you approach the balloon from the ladder and hit the balloon in mid air before falling back onto the same platform as the helm.

Be sure to hug the left wall on the approach, else you will get stuck. It saves a second or so off of those rare main engi balloon repairs, but is fun nonetheless.

Also, falling off the ship is very, very easy, but once you get the right angle, it isn't too bad.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
For the pyra-balloon repair jump... I tap through the corner of the rail, very easy. I then do a left strafe jump over the rail with a 180° while falling, to end up facing the hull.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
If you're on the front right gun of the Pyra, if you turn a 180 and run straight, passing the ladder, there is a little open area for you to fall. If you jump, you'll fall off the ship, but if you just run straight, you'll land on the hull.

You can also smack the Junkers hull from the bottom deck if you jump under the little lantern.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
You don't need to jump for the Junker one. You can just stand underneath it (around the top of the ramp).

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
You don't need to jump for the Junker one. You can just stand underneath it (around the top of the ramp).

Fff, good to know though!

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
I don't know if it's been said before, but on a goldfish:

Jump onto the hull so you are standing on top of it (This takes practice)
Jump from the hull onto the cylinder thing next to it.
Look upward to where the hull is and jump. If you do it right you should glitch through the ceiling for a second and see the helm.
Press E on the helm to jump on. Pilot the ship from here
? ? ?
AAAAHHH HULL IS GOING DOWN HELP THE ENGINEERS ARE REPAIRING A GATLING GUN AND THE GUNNER IS FIRING AT YOUR FRIENDLY SQUID (BUT MISSING) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
Press E to dismount helm.
Find yourself on lower deck.
Repair hull
Probably die, because let's face it, you are playing pilot and can't rebuild well.

In all honesty not useful, but it's a fun thing to do.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
I don't know if it's been said before, but on a goldfish:

Jump onto the hull so you are standing on top of it (This takes practice)
Jump from the hull onto the cylinder thing next to it.
Look upward to where the hull is and jump. If you do it right you should glitch through the ceiling for a second and see the helm.
Press E on the helm to jump on. Pilot the ship from here
? ? ?
AAAAHHH HULL IS GOING DOWN HELP THE ENGINEERS ARE REPAIRING A GATLING GUN AND THE GUNNER IS FIRING AT YOUR FRIENDLY SQUID (BUT MISSING) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
Press E to dismount helm.
Find yourself on lower deck.
Repair hull
Probably die, because let's face it, you are playing pilot and can't rebuild well.

In all honesty not useful, but it's a fun thing to do.

I tested this in Sandbox today. Keon, you're amazing. You don't realize how much potential this has both for pilot-assisted rebuilds and recovering from falling off (as we've all done before).

To put it into perspective:

Getting from the lower deck (at the bottom of the slight slope that separates the front gun from the main deck) to the helm takes:

By normal means: 6 seconds
Using the classic climbing method: 4-5 seconds
Using this jump from underneath: 2-3 seconds
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:22:46 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline BigDave

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Mobula parkour so far that I have found:

• Jumping on rails near helm of ship allow one to access the helm and disengage from the helm without having to walk through the cabin
  • While running to the center cabin from starboard, you can easily jump the rail near the ladder and even jump onto the rail to jump again to quickly ascend the ladder
  • Standing next to the upper port/starboard guns it is easy to simply hop down to the lower port/starboard guns
  • You can repair the main engine while standing under it, jumping can help too
  • Obvious one: jumping from the top of the cabin to any portion of the ship
  • It is possible to get on the stern and tail of the ship
  • Last but certainly the most complex: When standing next to a port or starboard turning engine, it is possible to make a circuit of repairing the port, main, and starboard engines without ever having to use a ladder to get back up on the top deck. This is accomplished by jumping onto the railing near a turning engine, hopping onto the platform towards the center of the ship, and then jumping over the large tail beam with multiple jumps in succession, jumping onto the curved tail struts to jump up and repair the main engine, and then proceeding to the other turning engine by jumping over the other large tail beam from one of the curved tail struts and hopping again to the other turning engine

Number 7 is a hard to complete maneuver and even harder to replicate; if it were easily performed, it would be a reliable engine repair method, as it is faster than: repairing the main engine, jumping over to a turning engine, and then running allllllll the way back to the side ladder to run clear across the ship to the other turning engine. This method makes it possible to complete a full true repair circuit as you will not have to backtrack in order to reach every component of the ship.

Again it is very hard to do. Hopefully the other engineer will just be able to get the opposite side turning engine, but this could be useful in situations where you need 2 people gunning and you're giving chase to a ship.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Another big one is jumping from the helm and mounting the front gun from underneath. It makes front gun use as the pilot completely viable.

I'm gonna have to check out #7. I spent a good while in Sandbox yesterday and I couldn't really get anything (apart from using Go AFK, but that's cheap), so I'll try to replicate it.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Yup, it's definitely possible, but unreliable. I'll see if I can get it working on a regular basis.

Offline BigDave

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Another big one is jumping from the helm and mounting the front gun from underneath. It makes front gun use as the pilot completely viable.

I'm gonna have to check out #7. I spent a good while in Sandbox yesterday and I couldn't really get anything (apart from using Go AFK, but that's cheap), so I'll try to replicate it.

Here is a set of pictures to help with number seven for those who haven't yet gotten it or want to try it out. And gunning from the helm is sweet!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Yeah, I pulled it off on multiple occasions, but it's hard to do consistently. Sometimes I'd get the jump on my first try, other times it would take a couple of minutes. It'll certainly be an interesting one to work on

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
...gunning from the helm is sweet!

Oh yea. Really emphasizes the Cannon of the Mobula's Glass Cannon possibilities.

If you put a Merc up top, a Merc on each lower deck, and Arts on the top deck, you can get a quad-fecta! (Top Merc, side Merc and both Arts.)

I think.

Figured this one out in the heat of battle, and I'm PRETTY sure I saw two rocket trails hitting that Pyri, but don't hold me to it.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
I'm hearing that the front gun jump on the Mobula is getting fixed. It kinda makes the ship too easy to run.