Author Topic: Hardcore Parkour: A Quick and Dirty Engineer's Guide to Getting Around  (Read 69299 times)

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Right, forgot how easy it is to run that ship.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Have you used the helm to front gun jump, Smollett?

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Just in the sandbox. I'm merely commenting that the Mobula could use all the help it can get with crewing.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
I also tried out another engine repair circuit method. If I get better at moving immediately after respawn (before you regain vision) then it'll save a bit of time.

-Run over to one side
-Throw yourself off the edge while hitting the turning engine
-After respawning, hit the main engine
-Run to the other side
-Throw yourself off the edge while hitting the third engine

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Problem with jumping off is that it's kind of random where you respawn up on the main deck. Thankfully, the Mobula is wide enough that spawning off the deck seems unlikely, but that randomness could make it hard to be consistent. On the other hand, jumping off is almost definitely faster than running back to the ladder.

Turns out that suicide really might be the answer =p

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Yup, the semi-randomness was really making it tough to save much time.

I see a lot of potential in BigDave's strat, but it's held back by A. the collisions in the railing being annoying, and B. jumping up the big wall being inconsistent.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
I learned something about Galleon engineering yesterday... I didn't see that coming.

Pinkamena Diane Pie (one of the best engineers out there, despite the silly MLP name) demonstrated how easily the bottom deck engi can get all three engines. If you stand on the little ledge lining the back of the ship, you can jump up and hit the main engine.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Man I thought I was the only one that didn't know that!

Xemko showed me a few weeks ago.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Found something that could be marginally useful in some situations with the Spire.

From the hull deck, it's possible to hit the main engine. Get a running start, jump onto the rear railing, jump as soon as you land on it, and hit the engine in mid-air. The big downside is that you'll fall off the ship, but it's still quicker than running all the way up. If the captain only wants one person on engines, I guess it could be helpful.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
You might as well just jump off the ship, go back to repair the main engine, and hop down to the bottom deck.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
I'd have to test to see which one is quicker.

Though really it's intended more for when you're already on the bottom deck anyways and you need to quickly hit the main engine... I'm sure there's a situation where that'd be needed.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
I'd have to test to see which one is quicker.

Though really it's intended more for when you're already on the bottom deck anyways and you need to quickly hit the main engine... I'm sure there's a situation where that'd be needed.

I'm quite certain that by the time you reach the point of engines being damaged severely, your hull be under heavy pressure already so I don't think that jumping of the ship is realy clever, but might help in other occasions x3

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Yeah, as I said it might be useful in the occasional, rather weird situation. Maybe if your captain's kerosening and something's gone wrong with the top deck gungineer (not responding/loading in after DCing/etc.)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore Parkour: A Quick and Dirty Engineer's Guide to Getting Around
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »
Also, if you remember the goldfish mount hull trick you can do the same using a spire by standing on the heavy gun. Much much less useful.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore Parkour: A Quick and Dirty Engineer's Guide to Getting Around
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 09:32:48 am »
So in 1.3.1 the Mobula engine run has been made significantly easier. The rails by the engines now have proper collisions boxes, and the tall ledge at the back now has struts next to it that can be jumped on to get up. Getting all three in one go takes about 5-6 seconds.