Author Topic: Mic "Radio" effects.  (Read 12302 times)

Offline Verbose Mode

• Salutes: 2
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Mic "Radio" effects.
« on: June 05, 2014, 09:13:24 pm »
It is a minor nitpick, but sometimes it is difficult for captains such as myself to tell the difference between their own crew's normal communication and banter, and communications from allied captains. I would like to request one or both of the following to be implemented:

1). Other captains names appear in a different color when they use the Captain Chat key. That way a quick glance can discern that they do not belong to your crew. Inspired by Insurgency.

2). A slight audio filter applies a "radio static" effect over Captain Chat communications. This way captains can hear that the transmission does not come from within their crew. Inspired by the ACER mod for ArmA games.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
Re: Mic "Radio" effects.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:20:17 pm »
I don't find it too hard the other captains have the little steering wheel next to their names when they talk to you.

Offline Verbose Mode

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:25:00 pm »
Not all captains are pilots (I have actually played as an Engineer Captain), and I'm not always going to be looking toward that corner long enough to begin with (such as when determining what systems are on fire). A different color would be easy enough to pick out of the corner of your eye, however.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »
Not all captains are pilots (I have actually played as an Engineer Captain)
Generally a horrible idea.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:53:02 am »
Not all captains are pilots (I have actually played as an Engineer Captain)
Generally a horrible idea.

The key word there is GENERALLY though. Do you know what use a pilot is on a CP map in a Galleon? None. There is literally 0 point to bringing a pilot in that situation. I find I can help my crew FAR better as an engineer dedicated to the back gun, balloon, and occasional backup on the hull. After all, I can practically park the ship on some of the maps and never even need to tweak it aside from lining up shots for killing. The hwacha's are more than good enough at keeping the enemy's guns down the majority of the time. Now, does this work all the time? Of course not! But there are still proven situations where it IS more beneficial.

Offline pandatopia

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 10:49:00 am »
Hum, if you die, the extra 10-15 seconds you save getting on point with moonshine is pretty useful. Plus galleon rams on unsuspecting enemies will destroy them. A moonshine galleon ram on a spire almost oneshots it, certainly kills all the armor at the very least.

Also the claw is basically necessary or you will never shoot anything.

Sadly as an engie you'd have to pick one or the other, and as claw is vital on the majority of ships, bye bye ramming =(

Anyway to get back on topic:

I support some sort of indicator. It would actually even be more useful in lobbies, where unsuspecting crew have divulged your entire ship's strategy to the enemy team before.

I also sometimes completely forget which button goes with which action (and iirc they behave differently in lobbies too).

Another problem is party chat...I've responded to people on ship or team chat before while instead it was a party chat. There is literally no way to tell how your captain is speaking if he is also in your party.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:50:58 am by pandatopia »

Offline AscendantWyvern

• Salutes: 1
    • [SoH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 12:47:29 pm »
The radio static idea is nice. Add a bit of immersion to inter-ship communication.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »
Do you know what use a pilot is on a CP map in a Galleon?

Kerosine to get to the point faster, Claw to bring your guns on target when you get there, and Drogue Chute because they everyone and their mother will be trying to pop your balloon.

I could make do with just claw if I had to, but Drogue Chute gives you a chance of killing the guy who is trying to balloon lock you which is preferable to lasting a few more seconds hoping your ally can save the day.

Offline MrJeff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 01:20:16 pm »
Do recall, it has been stated that all of the classes should be able to cover each role. (Something that is brought up in the Gunner usefullness discussions often.) So, if someone wants to fly with 3 of a class, or no pilot (Or two), the UI is going to have to take that into account because it is an accepted choice by the developers.

My thought: the overlays for comms should include some sort of visual indicator if it is local or off-ship. Even if it is just the difference of team color versus no color.

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »
Do you know what use a pilot is on a CP map in a Galleon?

Kerosine to get to the point faster, Claw to bring your guns on target when you get there, and Drogue Chute because they everyone and their mother will be trying to pop your balloon.

I could make do with just claw if I had to, but Drogue Chute gives you a chance of killing the guy who is trying to balloon lock you which is preferable to lasting a few more seconds hoping your ally can save the day.

That's why I'm an Engie and not a Gunner. The balloon is basically my primary job, leaving the other engineer to shoot and maintain the Hull. Drogue Chute becomes redundant then. I don't NEED to get to the point fast, because my ship's design doesn't really lend itself well to TAKING a point, as much as DEFENDING it. The ability to "ram" isn't impressive enough to me to warrant taking Moonshine on a Galleon, and the increased speed isn't worth it for the straint it puts on the engines. Unless I've actually got a team I know I can trust, I wouldn't use Moonshine most of the time anyway. Kerosene. while nice, isn't necessary either. If the enemy team takes the point, it will take a bit of luck, or help from an ally, to recapture it. But once it's on the point, it's going to probably take AT LEAST two enemy ships to take me off of that point, simply because my ship can maintain balloon, hull, AND firing 2-3 guns REGULARLY at all times. Not a good situation to be in for any enemy. And I've proven it can work. I just need Phoenix Claw to be able to adjust the ship so the guns line up with where I need them. This also means I can keep the balloon chemsprayed myself, leaving the other Engineers to focus on their areas.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:14:55 pm by Milevan Faent »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 08:04:49 pm »
Before this devolves completely into another engi-captain debate thread, I'd like to add that it would be really nice if we got a color indicator for captain chat, to help identify when engi captains speak.

Offline Verbose Mode

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 08:19:41 pm »
Before this devolves completely into another engi-captain debate thread, I'd like to add that it would be really nice if we got a color indicator for captain chat, to help identify when engi captains speak.

Thank you.

I do feel that a color would be easer to implement, and would not punish players with bad mics.

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 09:26:33 pm »
Also getting back on topic, coloring the indicator in lobby chat when using Team Chat (and not Lobby Chat) would make it much easier to identify when someone is talking privately to the team as well. This is something I've asked for in several Dev Firesides too.

Offline MrJeff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 10:36:58 pm »
A change in color as well as a change in shape or pattern. I don't know if there are any colorblind players, but it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway, just in case.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 11:31:31 am »

I support some sort of indicator. It would actually even be more useful in lobbies, where unsuspecting crew have divulged your entire ship's strategy to the enemy team before.

THIS. One of my crew apparently was holding X the entire time I was talking him through what I wanted him to take and my strategy, so my voice played through his speakers, back into his mic and to the entire enemy team XD.

OT: Purple voice chat indicators for party voice chat (matches the party text colour), team colour (Red/Blue) for Captain chat, black for crew voice chat :)