Author Topic: What faction will you fight for?  (Read 180766 times)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Re: What faction will you fight for?
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:05 am »

The Asahi ship appears to be based on the lines of an Arab dhow.  The dorsal sail echoes the lines of a lateen sail, and the clutter of rigging against the balloon has a tent-like appearance hinting of Bedouin inspirations.

The Junker is clearly inspired by the flat-bottomed Chinese sailing junk.  Although the cloud-cutter bow appears Venetian.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2013, 07:43:47 am »
When did this appear? - I notice the file dates are 2-3 weeks ago.  Useful stuff includes the art assets I was asking for a couple of months ago.  Bloggers, screenshots artists, video types.. the logos are now here and ready for use.

no idea, but yeah its usefull

but that one you are calling arashi is labeled as yesha in the adventure mode concept art.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 08:52:38 am »
but that one you are calling arashi is labeled as yesha in the adventure mode concept art.

Yup.. I now realise I'm repeating an error that's already been corrected.  Still looks like a dhow.

Offline JaegerDelta

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2013, 09:41:01 am »
is ok i still love you, and yeah it looks pretty Arabic, but the Arashi League was described in the first bi-weekly video on the kickstarter as being a "cultural mix from across western Europe" so their ships will in all likelyhood not be Arabic in design.  in the press pack there is no pictures of Arashi ships, so we will just have to wait and see until some concept art gets released.  But, from details in their clothing and skirmish mode maps such as battle on the dunes, we can infer that their ships will probably be rugged and aged industrial feeling, pieced together from scraps salvaged from the old battle ships dotting the landscape. i would assume very little wood would be on them as that would be hard to come by in the desert. probably rusty and with large-ish balloons (due to the lack of light weight materials such as wood), definitely designed for war as their primary function, as they are constantly at war with the Mercantile Guild as well as having conflict with the Yesha Empire over water reserves to the west (as i read in a description of King of the Flayed hills somewhere, might have been in the very out of date gameplay section of the main site, but i dont see why setting for that map would have changed).   

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 11:36:25 am »
the ship you posted that isnt the junker is actually a ship from the Yesha Empire unless the adventure mode content of the press kit is miss-labeled and i suspect it isn't because it is in the same picture as a pyra. and those have been established as Yesha for a long time

It was mis-labeled, and that shot has been removed from the press kit. Thanks for bringing it up. It was another Pyramidion concept, not faction-oriented.

Some of the current ships have faction style influences, but none of them is really full-on faction design. Think of the current ship roster as belonging to the Burren and the unaffiliated  neutral territories between the factions. A hull shape here or a bit of decoration there might recall the style of one part of the world or another, but for the most part these are hodgepodge merc ships. Same goes for a lot of the current costumes, although some of the ones that we showed on the Kickstarter have clearer faction leanings than others.

Expect to see more strongly faction-identified stuff rolling out in the future. We'll also try to show a little more of the faction style to give you guys a better feel for what each one's about. Stay tuned!

Offline JaegerDelta

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:17 am »
lawl! clearly we read WAY too far into things  :P but yay clarafication, get it? clara-fication lawls :P anyway woo! cant wait to see more faction stuff! thanks Clara :)

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:21 pm »
I see

Offline Sonar

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »
What no pirates?

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2013, 05:04:06 pm »
You can always go lone-wolf

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2013, 05:31:00 pm »
There will be pirates.. either independent or Brethren of the Clouds.. ..

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:31 am »
As an ex Minmatar EvE Pilot I think there is a nice transition to the League. I'm also from western Europe and I love the colour scheme, so sand warrior it is!

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2013, 02:16:45 am »
Ya!  Minmatar, Ushra'khan Acme tech.  I was at the fall of unity station, sad day for the rebellion.

But that scrapper identity is the same reason I chose the league.  That and vultures are superior to every other bird the other nations have.

Offline Douzei

• Salutes: 1
    • [GD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2013, 11:34:53 am »
Mercantile Guild. Me and three more friends of mine. We're all Romanians so we're going to the fatherland.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2013, 07:20:28 pm »
I am curious, which faction woud be considered closest to Finland? Fjord Baronies are an obvious contestant, but we are the folks who bloodied more than a few viking noses.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2013, 01:15:02 am »
I guess it'll be a faction closely related to a Serbian population or language group.  There isn't one at present, but it could in theory be Arashi.