Author Topic: New ship idea: Dragonfly  (Read 9368 times)

Offline omegaskorpion

• Salutes: 7
    • [CwG]
    • View Profile
New ship idea: Dragonfly
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:45:36 am »
This is my 3 ship idea

1 SWAN : https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4156.0.html

2 TURTLE : https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4160.0.html

Dragonfly

Stats:

Armor: 400

Health: 700

Balloon health: 3000

max speed: 35.0 m/s

max turn speed: 9.0 deg/s

Mass: 90.000 kg

Acceleration: 11 m/s²

Weapons: 6 Light guns. 3 on port and starboard, capable of shooting every direction.

Engines: Has 2 heavy engines on under deck and 2 light engines on upper deck.

Other information

Steer is front of the ship and hull component is near the steer. Balloon component is located near the upper deck light engines. Upper deck and under deck are attached with ladder.

Tactics

Old ship desigh that was re-used for war. Ship has powerfull engines and wery well made balloon. Front guns cant hit targets from front or left/right. Back guns are maid for shooting targets behind or left/right. Crew should always be ready on guns since enemy cant hide from dragonflys fury. The front of the balloon is made for ramming. The weakness of the ship is balloon. enemys can shoot this ship down with lumberjuck pretty effectively, or with caronade. The balloon still protects the ship from armor pearsing damage since the balloon is 65% of the ship.

Advantages

+ Balloon has biggest health of all ships
+ fast
+ 6 light guns
+ no blind sides
+ Usefull for ramming

Disadvantages

- Low armor and health
- Huge balloon
- easy target

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: New ship idea: Dragonfly
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »
Ballons have fixed value (1200 baloon health for all ships)

Weapons have fixed arcs meaning ship would have front and rear be blind sides (as it should be with such a heavily armed ship). You can arc fron pair ships at -45°/+45° and rear guns could be turned to -135°/+135° witch would hive you all around covarage but you'd have hard time keeping all 3 guns shooting starboard/port or 2 guns shooting foward/backward - but I doubt it would get thru since ships got to have blind spots, otherwise you have no need to turn in combat (balance concerns).

11m/s2 is too large acceleration.
Keep in mind squid's mass is 115tonnes (115000kg) - and it's lightest smallest ship.

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »
Ballons have fixed value (1200 baloon health for all ships)

Weapons have fixed arcs meaning ship would have front and rear be blind sides (as it should be with such a heavily armed ship). You can arc fron pair ships at -45°/+45° and rear guns could be turned to -135°/+135° witch would hive you all around covarage but you'd have hard time keeping all 3 guns shooting starboard/port or 2 guns shooting foward/backward - but I doubt it would get thru since ships got to have blind spots, otherwise you have no need to turn in combat (balance concerns).

11m/s2 is too large acceleration.
Keep in mind squid's mass is 115tonnes (115000kg) - and it's lightest smallest ship.

good point, but if the gun ach is made good it can shoot every direction, altho that might broke the balance a bit, but because of the damage it can make the ship it self is weak too. I think that some of the ships should have differend balloon health since balloons are different and this ship trusts on the balloon to protect it. The mass should be 190.000 ( i was looking at wiki when i was adding mass, the wiki seems to have wrong numbers)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:47:38 pm »
If ships have different baloon then lower than 1200 will be easily taken down, and higher than 1200 will be too hard to repair.

I like this design but it reminds me alot of the junker mixed with the spire. Which is a good thing actualy.

The problem is the HUGE ass baloon. The problem with this is not being an easy target but the navigation of maps. I mean, imagine flying down into paritian rumble. This thing isnt going to be allowed to turn even. And it may be too good of a sniper ship with 3 Mercuries disabling everything. On dunes so everyone would pick this on Dunes, and not any other map.

Another thing is that when a Baloon brakes, it becomes a hull when broken. So shots that go into baloon when the baloon is broken can lead to next to instant-death with a simple Lumberjack+Light Flak

BY THE WAY!!!
You need to make up Vertical Speed stats also.
I dont know if you have noticed, but the Mobula has the quickest Vertical Speed. The spire being just above the junkers in acceleration. While Pyramideon and galleon some of the slowest.

That could also work with when coming up with ideas. The mobula is built on this aspect.

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:54:05 pm »
If ships have different baloon then lower than 1200 will be easily taken down, and higher than 1200 will be too hard to repair.

I like this design but it reminds me alot of the junker mixed with the spire. Which is a good thing actualy.

The problem is the HUGE ass baloon. The problem with this is not being an easy target but the navigation of maps. I mean, imagine flying down into paritian rumble. This thing isnt going to be allowed to turn even. And it may be too good of a sniper ship with 3 Mercuries disabling everything. On dunes so everyone would pick this on Dunes, and not any other map.

Another thing is that when a Baloon brakes, it becomes a hull when broken. So shots that go into baloon when the baloon is broken can lead to next to instant-death with a simple Lumberjack+Light Flak

BY THE WAY!!!
You need to make up Vertical Speed stats also.
I dont know if you have noticed, but the Mobula has the quickest Vertical Speed. The spire being just above the junkers in acceleration. While Pyramideon and galleon some of the slowest.

That could also work with when coming up with ideas. The mobula is built on this aspect.

thanks for ideas, The balloon hp was experemental idea since i want to see tougher balloons.
The mercury combo cant work on this ship since the gun ach does not allow that (my ship model does not show that and i could not change it so
it looks like that unfortunatly)

vertical speed stats i wont ad since i already got confused with acceleration speed and ship rising speed. (the accelearation speed is wrong in this topic)

The balloon could be bit smaller yes  :P

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:03:55 pm »
yeah i myself was thinking of a ship with 3 light guns pointed on either side and how it could be different from any of the current ships that rely on broadsiding like the galleon or junker, while still being fun to use and fight against. Note My idea of how a ship set up like that should work IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM YOURS.

First i understand with how you could make there be no blindsides by using 6 light guns but i think that is a bad idea as it makes the ship very frustrating to fight and counter. Plus it the light guns themselves would not overlap 360 divided by 6 is 60 degrees per light gun to cover which is the largest radius for the light guns to have so you cant fire them together. I think it would be best to have the 3 light guns be bearing 90 and 270 on the ship respectively to give it ( if you don't understand bearing 0/360 is the front of the ship 90 is to the right 180 is behind 270 is to the left, just like a compass only referencing the sides of the ship instead of north south east and west, ex bearing 75 would be pointing right and slightly forward)

I do not like the idea a a feeble and fragile broadsider ship either as it would get shredded by sniper ships before it could get close, so making the ship durable like a galleon would be better, in my opinion.

To further distinguish it from its broadside counterparts which are both slow making this ship fast and heavy gives it its own unique playstyle of a ship that can truck along at a very good pace and hit like a truck when it rams something, but does not have guns on the front to soften the target before ramming (I'm not talking very fast like squid fast here but faster than galleon or junker and perhaps with amazing acceleration for its weight to emphasize this aspect).

since light weapons are harder to disable than heavy and already have better arks of fire it would be hard to get out of this ships broadside when you are in it, and since it is a ramming ship the front could potentially be dangerous as well. Two ways to mitigate these issues and stop the ship from being over powered would be to move the main engine form the back and to give the ship atrocious turning.  Moving the main engine underneath the front of the ship with a little ramp down for the crew to repair it makes it visible when the ship is trucking right at you so some well placed shots could destroy it and their ability to ram and kill you while also making the ship more unique by having it protected if you got behind the ship so it can still run away at a good pace if it cant get the turning engines working to bring it guns to bear. As for giving it atrocious turning well as previously mentioned light guns are harder to keep disabled due to quick rebuild times and having 3 on each side makes it damn near impossible to stop all of them from shooting so giving the ship itself very bad ability to turn helps ships stay in its small blind spots and get the kill against it.

TLDNR: HOW I IMAGINE A SHIP LIKE THIS SHOULD WORK

Features:
guns are bearing 80, 90, 100 and ,260, 270, 280 giving it blindsides in the front and back and hopefully reducing the merc issue.
Main engine is below and on front part of the ship making it protected if a ship gets behind it, but can be destroyed by ships infront of it ie. the ones its trying to ram.
large narrow target making it harder to hit when coming at you but easy to snipe if its trying to broadside

Advantages:
+durable
+fast and heavy so great for ramming
+great acceleration
+very destructive broadsides

Disadvantages
-very poor turning
-blind sides infront and behind
-balloon, turning engines, main engine, and hull are far apart from each other on such a long ship.
-very poor vertical performance giving other ships another way to get out of its broadside arcs.

How i think it should look:
giving it an Asian influence like the goldfish and having the metal ramming part on the front of the balloon look like metal dragon head would be cool.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:18:40 pm by SirNotlag »

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 03:53:05 am »
To further distinguish it from its broadside counterparts which are both slow making this ship fast and heavy gives it its own unique playstyle of a ship that can truck along at a very good pace and hit like a truck when it rams something, but does not have guns on the front to soften the target before ramming (I'm not talking very fast like squid fast here but faster than galleon or junker and perhaps with amazing acceleration for its weight to emphasize this aspect).

since light weapons are harder to disable than heavy and already have better arks of fire it would be hard to get out of this ships broadside when you are in it, and since it is a ramming ship the front could potentially be dangerous as well. Two ways to mitigate these issues and stop the ship from being over powered would be to move the main engine form the back and to give the ship atrocious turning.  Moving the main engine underneath the front of the ship with a little ramp down for the crew to repair it makes it visible when the ship is trucking right at you so some well placed shots could destroy it and their ability to ram and kill you while also making the ship more unique by having it protected if you got behind the ship so it can still run away at a good pace if it cant get the turning engines working to bring it guns to bear. As for giving it atrocious turning well as previously mentioned light guns are harder to keep disabled due to quick rebuild times and having 3 on each side makes it damn near impossible to stop all of them from shooting so giving the ship itself very bad ability to turn helps ships stay in its small blind spots and get the kill against it.

TLDNR: HOW I IMAGINE A SHIP LIKE THIS SHOULD WORK

Features:
guns are bearing 80, 90, 100 and ,260, 270, 280 giving it blindsides in the front and back and hopefully reducing the merc issue.
Main engine is below and on front part of the ship making it protected if a ship gets behind it, but can be destroyed by ships infront of it ie. the ones its trying to ram.
large narrow target making it harder to hit when coming at you but easy to snipe if its trying to broadside

Advantages:
+durable
+fast and heavy so great for ramming
+great acceleration
+very destructive broadsides

Disadvantages
-very poor turning
-blind sides infront and behind
-balloon, turning engines, main engine, and hull are far apart from each other on such a long ship.
-very poor vertical performance giving other ships another way to get out of its broadside arcs.

How i think it should look:
giving it an Asian influence like the goldfish and having the metal ramming part on the front of the balloon look like metal dragon head would be cool.

Well this sounds bit like my (1 bilionth) idea. exept i was thinking ship that looks more like viking ship. Still good idea. If i can, i will make more ship models and 1 about this idea. 

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 05:57:10 pm »
i got idea for new ship design, but it will take time to make it. (based on sirNotlag idea)

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 09:49:54 pm »
YAY! My idea will have art to it. NICE!

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:48:23 am »
YAY! My idea will have art to it. NICE!

It will take some time but i hope you like it when its ready.

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »