Author Topic: Fellow Ex-Gunners Of Icarus Lend Me Your Ears!  (Read 240188 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Fellow Ex-Gunners Of Icarus Lend Me Your Ears!
« Reply #240 on: August 12, 2013, 09:59:05 am »
It's all rather opinionated anyway, be it ammo type usefulness or taking gunners. You come from all engineer crews, which have a totally different mindset then that of one who uses gunners. Calling ammo useless because you'd never think to take it with an all engie crew is fine, as long as you state that. Otherwise, it just confuses people.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 12, 2013, 10:07:42 am »
I don't want to get into to much of a back and forth as I've posted way to much. but we run a gunner on the Lucky Duck. We decided it was a rare situation where the gunner had the utility over the engi as to be effective the position *needed* two ammo types.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45:33 am »
I don't want to get into to much of a back and forth as I've posted way to much.

Every time I see this thread with new posts, I die a little on the inside....

I know thy pain.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00:48 am »
I could post my opinion (again), but as you said, this thread keeps on going full circle.

All I'll say is that I've changed my mind about what a fire-against-guns buff would do to help gunners. Chem spray fills the role once taken by heatsink, and it does it better, too.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 12, 2013, 12:44:42 pm »
I use greased for my light mortar on the top deck of my Junker for a myriad of reasons.

1. The other gun on top is a carronade which does fantastic with greased
2. It has the highest DPS
3. I've trained someone to the point where Lesmok is just weird for them
4. I don't time the mortar side in most engagements so I just want as much damage and as quick of damage as possible.

I will say as the game progresses I find myself using more and more ammo types. It used to be i had everyone bring heavy. Now I run heavy, burst, and greased.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2013, 02:25:50 pm »
I could post my opinion (again), but as you said, this thread keeps on going full circle.

All I'll say is that I've changed my mind about what a fire-against-guns buff would do to help gunners. Chem spray fills the role once taken by heatsink, and it does it better, too.
at the cost of 2 ammo slots on a 3 engie crew

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2013, 02:28:46 pm »

at the cost of 2 ammo slots on a 3 engie crew

Oh dear, this thread is looping again.

I think the value of the buff hammer over an extra ammo type or two has been explained multiple times. I don't think anybody's going to be convinced by the other side's argument here, so I don't really want to discuss it again...

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2013, 04:12:16 pm »
I think the value of the buff hammer over an extra ammo type or two has been explained multiple times.

No the point is I can only speak for me and not you.  I don't value a single, static unchanging style of play.

I've seen 3 crew fads in my time in this game, and when the magic element in the 3 engie loadout gets nerfed, and it will, someone will sit down with a damage spreadsheet and work out another.

I value it even less when you have low level players latching on to this because "that's how you win", who don't realise it's simply gaming the game because they have no idea about what the game is about - the gunner has 3 slots by design - and come nerf time they'll be left groping about.

The latest nerf to the mercury is in part caused by the 3 engie buff crews in competitive matches, yet the fallout spills into general play, so I value the buff strategy even less.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:14:35 pm by Calico Jack »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:27 pm »
The latest nerf to the mercury is in part caused by the 3 engie buff crews in competitive matches, yet the fallout spills into general play, so I value the buff strategy even less.

It's not solely because of that at all. Muse dislikes the ease of sitting across the map and merc'ing people to pieces. While we as more experienced players know that it's not the best tactic and can work around it, I'm guessing a lot of new players have taken a liking to double merc pyra's and just pelting away at other players who don't know the counter.

This patch was very much anti-long-range.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2013, 04:39:13 pm »
Doesn't long range describe competitive play currently? I understood from the Dev app discussion that the reduction in range of charged ammo was a particular concern.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 12, 2013, 05:48:01 pm »
They don't balance the game based entirely on competitive play. It's been said before though I can't remember where.

Charged wasn't changed to my knowledge.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2013, 06:00:20 pm »
As Zill said, there is no real link between dual mercs and buff engineers. So the difference this patch makes to the viability of buff engis: none whatsoever.

It's hard to describe the three engineer setup as a fad. This isn't something that popped up a couple of months ago or whatever. Three engis have been viable (I would say superior, but let's not get back into that discussion) for almost six months. That's 60% of GoIO's post-release lifetime. In that time, nothing has been changed to reduce the effectiveness of the setup. So no, it's not a fad.

Even if it was, "it's gonna get nerfed eventually" isn't much of reason not to use something.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2013, 03:25:28 am »
Hey guys......

Why are we still talking about this?

The beauty of this game is that different people can play this differently. 

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2013, 03:31:09 am »
A single buff engie as I remember was the "norm" with the flak fish which was around January, not 3 buff engies, which will get nerfed, when 3BE rews impact enough on gameplay, just like the heavy flak.

And I wasn't referring to dual mercs when I mentioned sniping in competitive matches.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2013, 09:15:13 am »
Wait, who said three buff engineers? I don't run three buff engineers. Most people don't. I only know one guy who does.

And as Smollett said, this argument will keep on going and going and getting nowhere...