Author Topic: Introducing the new CAs!  (Read 304422 times)

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the new CAs!
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:46 pm »
Ljubljana.

Oh my these words.  How does one even pronounce this?!

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2013, 02:16:41 pm »
Think of the j's as y's.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2013, 03:13:15 pm »
So something like "ly-oob-lyana"? I guess that's not so bad.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:32 pm »
That's much easier to understand than phonetical explanation :)
So much confusion comes from the fact that different languages assign different sounds to same letters.

The name came from ancient word lob. In English it's a verb meaning to throw something in a high arc (think catapult), or modern use in tennis witch is a very high aching shot. In our language its an archaic word that is out of use, but it means a hill with a specific shape (steep slopes and wide & flat top).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:44:56 pm by Mattilald Anguisad »

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »
To be honest I didn't think it that important, and you didn't ask. Suprised you didn't suspect or ask last time, considering nobody but Austrian or Slovenian is likely to know of circumstances of death of Kärnten's governor :P

I'm not from Štajerska/Untersteiermark, I'm actualy from Ljubljana.

I was in Ljubljana... last summer? When Maribor was European Capital of Culture? I really liked the city, even though I had some language difficulties. Everyone spoke German, or could understand German very well, but I always felt ashamed of using it. We always tried English first, but we didn't succeed very well with it. And yeah, seeing your national museum and learning about austrian history from the slovene point of view further made me feel a bit humbled :P

Should have used my brain though, when you knew so much about our struggles with.. Corôska? Is that for Kärnten/Carinthia or just for Klagenfurt? How's the extent of pumpkin seed oil usage in Ljubljana by the way? I saw it on restaurants, but do people use it?

That's much easier to understand than phonetical explanation :)
So much confusion comes from the fact that different languages assign different sounds to same letters.

The name came from ancient word lob. In English it's a verb meaning to throw something in a high arc (think catapult), or modern use in tennis witch is a very high aching shot. In our language its an archaic word that is out of use, but it means a hill with a specific shape (steep slopes and wide & flat top).

Don't you worry guys, I'm here to help you out. Austria has a long history of rebranding names in formerly occupied countries.. It's Laibach in German, if that's easier. :P I personally prefer Ljubljana, though. Slovene is a very beautiful language, even if it always makes me feel guilty when I'm in Slovenia for talking in German :(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:54:41 pm by Kyren »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2013, 06:52:05 pm »
But back on the subject of CAs...

We should enter a tournament with a CA team some time. Call it something like "Diplomatic Immunity", or "Why is your name yellow?"

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »
It's funny to think I've been around for the longest time.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2013, 08:51:12 pm »
But back on the subject of CAs...

We should enter a tournament with a CA team some time. Call it something like "Diplomatic Immunity", or "Why is your name yellow?"

I'm in.

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2013, 05:34:43 pm »
Last post in July.. awesome :P

Well, I'm Chrinus if you didn't notice by now. I've met most if not all of you in game already and look forward to continuing my service to the grand community of Guns of Icarus Online. Some of the best people I've ever known have been found here and I intend to uphold our traditions and nurturing nature of this community till the last Whale falls.

I play on and off at various hours of the day and often through long periods. I work with the US training group already and do one on one training with many new players; often bringing them aboard with other experienced players to steer them the right direction. The way I see it, if they're willing to learn, I'm willing to teach. So, without further delay, here goes that pledge to our overlords.

I Chrinus, before the presence of the Holy Whale of the skies, do hereby declare my unwavering faith, fealty and service to the community of Icarus.
I pledge to follow the orders of all Muse staff appointed over me, and field all the questions, great and small, difficult or annoying, addressed to me be they by the person, or the mob.
I will keep myself mentally sane, reasonably sober and regularly available as is necessitated by the Community Ambassador agreements and forms to which I have pledged my unconditional adherence. 
So say we all.

I will see you gentlemen in the skies! o7

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2013, 06:15:46 pm »
Hello all, I am here to relate to you a curious thing that occured this morning. I was sitting on my porch, enjoying a spot of after breakfast ale and performing some routine maintenance on my Scylla when the Muse squid speeds by and lobs a brick through my window. "Now,"  I think, "That's kind of unusual." I mosey on inside to inspect the damage and was surprised to find a note wrapped around it. I opened it up:

Dear DMaximus,
Congratulations, you're now a CA!
Report promptly to Muse Super Secret HQ for proper community service indoctrination. Be prepared, it's Steam Sale season.
Remember: Boarding is not a thing, nor will it ever be. You can't kick people, that's just mean. Your name is yellow because the powers that be have deemed it so.

So, here I am, reporting for duty. Look me up in game if you need someone to fly with. I'm EST and usually play most evenings.

BACON.

Offline Zormac

• Salutes: 3
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2013, 01:17:46 am »
Hello everyone!

Not everyone might know me, but I started playing in March. Nice to meet you all. I remember most here from either the game or the forum, and it's a pleasure to be part of the CA team.
I'll do my best to help and welcome any pointers you would like to give me.

Cheers! :)

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2013, 01:28:13 am »
I'm really beginning to think this should be a pinned thread.

Offline Deagol

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:43 am »
Hello everyone!

My name is Deagol or David (past midnight only...).
I'm possibly the newbiest CA ever! (nothing to be proud of really! Haha). I play as much as my job and my other 1523 hobbies let me.
My objective is to be a moderator in the soon-to-be-created Spanish forum.

We'll meet in the skies, gentlemen!

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2013, 04:07:35 pm »
I'm really beginning to think this should be a pinned thread.

Ok, done. :)

Welcome to all the new folks. I know you'll do us proud.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2013, 09:36:29 pm »
I ramjamslam, before the presence of the Holy Whale of the skies, do hereby declare my unwavering faith, fealty and service to the community of Icarus.
I pledge to follow the orders of all Muse staff appointed over me, and field all the questions, great and small, difficult or annoying, addressed to me be they by the person, or the mob.
I will keep myself mentally sane, reasonably sober and regularly available as is necessitated by the Community Ambassador agreements and forms to which I have pledged my unconditional adherence. 
So say we all.

Hi all!  My real name is of course Ramathon Jamathy Slamalopalous and you will find me online most hours of the day.  Usually I will be wearing a silly outfit, so look out for something like this (yes that jacket is very hot for the desert).

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:43:16 pm by ramjamslam »