Author Topic: Anime Discussions?  (Read 140785 times)

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
Re: Anime Discussions?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 04:10:06 pm »
Short animes are the best. They stick to the point and avoid the draging out and filler that plagues some longer running animes *coughnarutoonepiececough*

Steins;Gate and Soul Eater are probably my favorite animes. I would recommend Steins;Gate to anyone for sure. The characters are strange but it is amazing. Soul Eater is just pretty awesome in general.

I pretty consistently keep up with Naruto, especially now that things are finally coming to a head.

I took a Summer and watched all of every Dragonball series since I didn't have cable growing up so I sort of missed out on that.

Various other animes I've watched, but none really made an impression on me (though Deathnote was pretty good).

I watched quite a few animes when I was younger, couldn't remember my favourite ones name though! so I spent ages looking and finally found it! I would massively recommend it to anyone, it's called Oban Star Racers. It's a 26 episode series where your protagonist "Molly" finds her father who left her at an orphanage and joins his racing team (imagine formula 1 meets pod racing), they are invited to the intergalactic race where lots of shit goes down and all in all it's got a gripping storyline, good soundtrack, the characters have a lot to them and racing scenes are incredibly well done, there is about 1 per episode and the rest is character development and hyping the next race!

Also, every episode is available on youtube.. which is a +1!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnxm1MSFr4&list=PLE0C71B072DDC102E
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:20:27 pm by Hunter. »

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 10:53:51 am »
so you guys are having a Anime Discussion so if i have never watch any or never got hooked what would be the best series to start on or watch ?

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 11:55:24 am »
Deathnote is really pretty good. It has elements of the weird you will find in anime, but has a really cool psychological quandary along with some cool Sherlock-esque deductions. It is also pretty short (~40 episodes). If you look into it you can let us know which parts are yay and which parts are nay and we can guide you to something else. One thing it sort of lacks is the action scenes.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 01:01:23 pm »
so you guys are having a Anime Discussion so if i have never watch any or never got hooked what would be the best series to start on or watch ?

While Death Note's not a bad place to start, I'd probably recommend Fullmetal Alchemist, preferably Brotherhood, though both are good. If you're a fan of Sci-fi, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is a great place to start. For what it's worth, my roommate recently got into anime by watching Sword Art Online with me.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 01:47:31 pm »
I have to second Ghost in the Shell, it's a fantastic anime with a bit of a philosophical side to it. And it does have some amazing action scenes.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:53:03 pm by Piemanlives »

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 04:03:44 pm »

Definitely something from the better anime, that are also quite popular, the ones worth looking at are for example:

Death Note
FullMetal Alchemist + FMA: Brotherhood
Code Geass
Fate/Stay Night
Hellsing
Cowboy Bebop
Great Teacher Onizuka
Darker than Black
Elfen Lied
Angel Beats
Shingeki No Kyojin

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the popular shounens either, like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, or Hunter X Hunter. As much as they tend to drag them for too long, with some arcs being worse than others (Tite Kubo, I'm looking at you) and they are full of fillers, they are still quite nice overall, especially the beginnings of all the shows, when you clearly see author had a plan :P. Definitely something good to start your adventure with anime, nothing to set your expectations too high like the titles above, so you won't be like Skrim with "nothing compares to my first anime anymore :<" , but not bad either, simply enjoyable.

And, obviously, movies, like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Hotaru no Haka, and Toshio Suzuki's movies:
Howl no Ugoku Shiro
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Mononoke Hime

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:06:51 pm by Deltajugg »

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 11:06:27 am »

And, obviously, movies, like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Hotaru no Haka, and Toshio Suzuki's movies:
Howl no Ugoku Shiro
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Mononoke Hime

Huh, I've never seen anyone reference those as anything but Hayao Miyazaki films. I had to look up who Suzuki is (he's the producer, for those interested). The english names for the listed films are Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke.

As a side note, I had the chance to see Princess Mononoke in a theater recently, a nearby museum was putting on a Miyazaki month and had obtained the original 35mm reels. It was a really cool experience.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 06:28:13 am »
Huh, I've never seen anyone reference those as anything but Hayao Miyazaki films.

Ah, sorry, my bad. TBH I didn't know the exact name of the Director, so I just looked up the first name from the staff on myanimelist assuming it was him ._.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 01:23:20 pm »
First anime: DragonBall here also

Favourite anime of all time: Kill La Kill, Samurai Champloo, Panty and Stocking

Anime you secretly enjoy(ed): Azumanga Daioh

Most hated antagonist: The protagonist of Gantz. Hated everything about him

Most loved protagonist: Luffy (One Piece)

Fav Anti-hero: Sazuki (Kill La Kill)

Waifu: Kneesocks (Panty and stocking)

Over-rated anime: Bleach

Under-rated anime: Paranormal Agent and Watamote

Sub or Dub: I do research first, watch an episode on both languages. Review a bit, then decide. It mostly ends in Sub.

Personal anime fact: My art style was inspired heavily by manga and mostly Anime. But then i saw a pattern that put me off. And this pattern is the reason why animes can be made so quickly and why many artists in japan have this style. Long story short, the characters are simplified to anime standards. There are only few anime that i like and il eason out more later.

More Info: I personaly strive to find short anime series that have a unique [something] to them.

Let me list the animes that are favourite and unique Imo (Note i dont watch anime like crazy)
One Piece for its Setting and Character designs. Rest of the anime is pretty anime, but it keeps me with its humor and creativity. Didnt watch too much though.
Paranormal Agent is probably the most mature anime along with being super deep. Kiddies that expect an obvious story cant and will not understand paranormal agent, but i like it when they make it as deep and creative as Paranormal Agent did and it satisfied me and tought the end was fitting.
Kill La Kill not for its story, but got damn celebration of expressing japanese animation. There is so much i love about kill la kills personality of an anime that its just likable. The animation, the creativity, its just so great and funny.
Samurai Champloo the theme of this is sunglasses cool. Instead of EPIC violin music, you get modern day hip hop. Completely changin the atmosphere where the characters are in a way in contrast and fitting with the anime. There is something that clicks so well with Samurai Champloo.
Space Dandy being a very slippy western comedy anime, but is very unique in the structure. I find Space dandy an anime i want to see more of because they have a setting they use in a very fun and creative way. The anime also is in a very good quality. Not the best ANIME but its incredibly good the more technical you look into it. This is also a DUB for me.

And now

Panty and Stocking This is by far my most favourite Anime. Style, Setting, Theme, Humor, adult(Not mature), Music, Animation and designs are just soo well done. This is by far the best direction anime can go, and thus is why Kill La Kill is an anime i like.

Many of the animes today are over Dramatic(Bunch of serious slice of lifes), overly action packed (Bleach, naruto and etc), Underplanned(Animes with underwhelming fantasies), and animes stuck in basic anime structure (Attack on titan suffers a bit on this as an example, animes that end in cliffhangers, animes with tons flashbacks, etc etc) Rarely do you find well planned anime that fit with everything they do. Pokemon is probably the best example of a well planned one. Alot of people forget this but Pokemon is a sci fi with alternate setting on animals. This is a unique take they dig deep in and show a world based on it. Cowboy Bepop, same deal. Attack On titan, again, they have a world they stick to. And so on. No animes enchant the viewer into the world like the animes ive mentioned and some that are my favourite.

For Japanese animated movies, ide say Sword of the Stranger and Akira can show you exactly what i mean.
Sword of the Stranger being my top 1 most favourite japanese related animation.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 04:11:45 pm »

Paranormal Agent is probably the most mature anime along with being super deep. Kiddies that expect an obvious story cant and will not understand paranormal agent, but i like it when they make it as deep and creative as Paranormal Agent did and it satisfied me and tought the end was fitting.

I think (or at least hope) you're referring to Paranoia Agent. If so, excellent choice. Satoshi Kon was such an amazing director, every single one of his works is a crazy look at the human psyche and are just amazing. His works are all very literary: there's always layers of meaning and an active conversation in the themes and symbols. There's always some kind of commentary about our modern world interwoven in his works that leaves you with more to chew on than just the plot of each movie or series. I really wish he hadn't died so early.

If you haven't, I highly recommend all of his films, but Paprika especially. The soundtrack and the amazing visuals are incredible.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:13:20 pm by DMaximus »

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 04:05:24 am »
Nice job at not mentioning AoT or SAO at all Crafek! I now REALLY need to watch Kill La Kill!

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 10:06:11 am »

I think (or at least hope) you're referring to Paranoia Agent. If so, excellent choice.

Its not the first time ive made that mistake XD

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 01:01:37 pm »
Short animes are the best. They stick to the point and avoid the draging out and filler that plagues some longer running animes *coughnarutoonepiececough*

Steins;Gate and Soul Eater are probably my favorite animes.

I heard Steins;Gate is also a visual novel style game (or perhaps the other way around), have you played it, and if so, is it any good?

Also I second the notion that shorter animes are best.

NGE (neon genesis evangelion) is basically the benchmark for all anime, and if you haven't watched it you really should.

FLCL is also a great one, though tbh I didn't like the animation much. Its hit or miss, and only 6 episodes, but a staple of the "standard" anime diet.

Last Exile - How has noone mentioned this yet? This is THE anime for all you airship lovers. Beautiful scenery, airship naval combat, stunning blend of painted works and CGI. Caution: if you do watch this, you may have undeniable urges to scream IMMELMANN TURN when piloting your ship.

If you like one shot movies (such as Studio Ghibli films) you'll probably want to check out

Grave of the Fireflies - this is super depressing though.
The Place Promised in Our Early Days/Beyond the Clouds, the Promised Place -  (it has two names). Absolutely beautiful graphics, and touching story.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »
Last Exile - How has noone mentioned this yet? This is THE anime for all you airship lovers. Beautiful scenery, airship naval combat, stunning blend of painted works and CGI. Caution: if you do watch this, you may have undeniable urges to scream IMMELMANN TURN when piloting your ship.
Last Exile was pretty good, but the storyline was just too convoluted.

And sadly, Last Exile 2 was just complete crap :(

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 01:43:57 pm »
Last Exile was pretty good, but the storyline was just too convoluted.

And sadly, Last Exile 2 was just complete crap :(

I actually didn't realize there was a sequel, but I found the original storyline to be easy enough to follow. Its only the post-ending extrapolation that gets convoluted and unexplained. I thought in itself the anime is a pretty contained story.

Plus Dio is awesome.

I haven't seen a SINGLE Sylvana in GoIO, which is super depressing.