Author Topic: Pilot Training  (Read 10232 times)

Offline HumbleBee

• Salutes: 0
    • [SSTR]
    • View Profile
Pilot Training
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:51 pm »
Whilst spending the last few weeks playing the game, I've only given piloting a few chances. This is mainly due to the level of control needed to pilot any of the ships effectively. This being noted, I've taken advantage of playing the both of the "Training" matches what were posted and learned a rather great deal not only about Engineering, but also about gunning. Taking that knowledge and adding it to random-game playing has greatly helped me make sure I was fulfilling my role and contributing to our wins (and sometimes losses). But what I'm rather off-put about is Piloting. The few times I've been in matches where I've gussied up enough courage to attempting leading a ship of mine own, I find that my crew is... less than satisfied. Methinks this concerns not my ability to move the ship (for I've logged several hours in the "practice" mode with all the ships), but I've no real sense of how to fly it so as to make my crew able to play their parts successfully.

All that to say, methinks it would be a nice treat if a few of the more... seasoned players mayhaps would take a set time and be crew and let some newer-ish folks what would at least like to get to know a little more.

Now, after reading the forums over a few times, this is not to say that Captains are not attempting to help, but offtimes this comes after the match when, with a rather hurried, shameful shadow-log, those of us who were just 0-5'd run back to the corner in the fetal position, clutching our spanner and promising we'll ne're stray from the Engineer again. For those Captains what've tried to help myself, I do apologize for not sticking around. But at any rate, this is just a thought ^^;

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Pilot Training
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:48:05 pm »
Learning to captain is hard. The best thing to do is find a server with mostly low level players and fiddle about until you find what works. If you are in a high level server click on the ship names in the lobby to see what the high level players are flying with, and shamelessly copy them. I felt pretty bad my first few times captaining since I was learning at the expense of three other people. I would only captain if nobody stepped up. Eventually I grew to like it.

If you want to practice flying in practice mode here is a drill used: Start with the squid that has a chain gun on the front, carronade on the side, and flack on the back. Start at a distance from the narrow blind side of the practice target. Fly at full speed at the practice target, cut engines and bring the right gun on target, wait for the baloon to pop, then turn so that your rear gun is on target and follow the training dummy down. If you do this right you will never leave the target drone's blind side. While facing with the side gun, you may have to adjust your position forward or back to compensate for left over velocity taking you into the drone's shooting angle.

You can also slalom through the ribs of the wreckage to the north east, or try and sneak into the cheater point of the desert scrap model, if you want to further test your piloting mettle in practice mode. There are some pretty small gaps you can fit through in this game, learning what you can fly though in practice mode will let you get away from a bad situation easier in a real game.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:03:11 am »
Piloting is a hard role to jump into immediately, because it is probably the most 'difficult' role, due to you being directly able to dodge enemy fire for engineers, position the ship for gunners, and basically control what your crewmates' actions are. It is important to always be considering -How should I turn the ship, should I get closer or farther away, should I increase or decrease altitude-. The gunners will do their role, and the engineers will do theirs, but the pilot's choice of flying will affect the gunner's ability to perform, and the engineers will be patching all of the accidental holes.

I could write a text wall about things, but really, who wants to do that? The best way to learn is to practice. I consider myself a fine pilot, and I love to help- If you want, I can join you in a game sometime and crew for ya with some advice. Otherwise- do you have any questions that I should answer here?

Offline krait

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:35:50 am »
Generally a pilot is two things: helmsman (obviously) and commander. Commanding is the harder but more important skill to master, and I find there are a few important aspects:

Voice communication: use of a microphone is critical, since typed commands will go unnoticed until they're too late to be helpful, and typing means you're not piloting or doing whatever else you need to be doing.

Situational Awareness: in a fight, gunners will usually only notice what they're aiming at (even between reloads), and typical engineers will be too busy looking at the inside of your ship to notice what's going on with the outside. Make sure you don't focus your attention solely on a single enemy ship: as both a pilot and a commander, you need to be visually skimming your entire field of view periodically, calling out enemies, and notifying your crew about terrain that you can't avoid or lag spikes you're experiencing, if and when it occurs (it can be helpful for gun crews to distinguish between a captain turning to acquire a new target, or spinning due to loss of control). Be sure to keep a constant eye on the status of your components. Applying this sense correctly, it's not uncommon to be able to manage simultaneous, sustained attacks on two or more enemies.

Exert a sense of control: your crew should sense that you have a plan (even if you don't actually have one). By plan, I mean some short-term goal you're trying to achieve (or continue achieving) over the next several seconds. Based on your active situational awareness and that plan, you know which components need to be prioritized and which will not. There may be times when you need engines but don't care about a balloon, or your team is leading by 3 kills, but the enemy will soon regroup and you need everyone on guns more than you need them repairing your hull. Unless the crew can read your mind, they can't situationally prioritize, and so you do need to tell them what to focus on.

I regularly inform my crew when I'm about to use a skill that damages engines (it allows engineers to get in position, and keeps the crew from thinking you're under fire when you're not), or when I'm going to ram, and particularly which fields of fire I expect to open up. You'll also find gunners keep trying to track an enemy that you're turning away from, until you tell them to aim toward another enemy (when switching targets, it helps if you can tell them where to aim, relative to their current viewpoint).

Invite the crew to make suggestions: since you're not the one gunning, take requests for loadout changes. Certainly a lumberjack will be less useful in the canyons than it will be on the dunes, and your ship and configuration should reflect the map and complement friendlies while countering enemies, there will usually be several applicable weapon/ship combinations that play well into your style, so it can help in those cases to determine crew preference. Discussing it is best left for private crew chat, rather than lobby voice chat, of course. Good engineers and gunners will direct your attention to things you may not be noticing -- that's a good thing!

Coordinate with your team: particularly with new allied captains, you'll be trying to manage the team dynamic quite a bit too: it hurts your team quite a bit if one of your ships keeps dashing off into 1v3 battles, or is sight-seeing in capture point matches. Even with competent allies, great coordination can allow a pair mediocre crews to isolate and defeat strong opponents.

Use pilot abilities: in fact, it can help to have 3 abilities rather than 2 and a spyglass. Your crew will generally each have a spyglass (were they planning on piloting your ship?), and should be spotting ships for you (feel free to tell them to spot ships, and remind them that without the targeting reticule, you won't be able to line your ship up in the thick of three-dimensional battle for good shots anyway). If you're not regularly employing your abilities, you'll be at a definite disadvantage.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:59:32 am »
Fly any ship that relies on a forward-facing gun, it'll get you used to the idea of keeping guns facing the enemy and it'll be easier for you to recognize the firing arcs of different weapons.  It's even better if you have a vocal gunner, as they'll be able to tell you if the enemy's moved out of their firing arc so that you can quickly adjust.

When you're taking a lot of damage but think you can make it, try running into a cloud and hiding in there.  That'll give your engineers some time to get things patched up and they will love you so much for it.

And, of course, stay positive.  Don't let your crew get frustrated, even in 0-5 losses.  Obviously the best way to avoid frustration is to avoid losing, but just keeping a light atmosphere on the ship can be enough to keep people loyal.  Cock jokes are a wonderful leadership tool.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 06:03:16 am »
Oh, and a scripted tutorials already been suggested, it's definitely something the team wants but the issue is thinking of one that can be implemented easily.  If this is just going to be an advice thread this belongs in Q&A.

Offline HumbleBee

• [SSTR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 01:42:26 pm »
Thank you all for your replies. Hopefully will get some experience with the high-level of people what are just getting the game.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:39:13 am »
Thank you all for your replies. Hopefully will get some experience with the high-level of people what are just getting the game.

feel free to add everyone to your friendslist and hop on, if you ask politely to captain, a lot of us will go down to crew and help you, provided you are willing to listen.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:53:13 am »
I could definitely use like... a private tutor of sorts

Offline krait

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:39:03 pm »

LOL. I seem to recall you discussing all the things that makes a captain... not good. Fly with enough bad captains and just behave oppositely to the traits they all had in common :P

That said, I think Skrimskraw is right that most friendly players (which is hopefully most of us) would be willing to crew your ship and give you tips; I'd certainly be happy to do that when you find me online.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »

dont be a stranger, I got time to give some hints, setup and flying wise.

All captains have diffrent ways of flying, so my best suggestion is to keep at it, and just play the canyon over and over, its the best map for learning to steer.

Offline Skippy The Moonrock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 08:01:34 am »
Im typing this out on my phone, so please excuse any errors in what I may type.

I purchased this game a couple days ago and I wasn't sure what my first role should be, even after the general consensus being to start as a engineer or a gunner, so I took it into a sandbox practice match. Fixing things was alright, and I wasn't any good at gunning at all, so I decided to take control of flying the ship. Started out slow by learning to adjust the positioning of my hand on the keyboard to allow muscle memory to adapt to needing to play with the R and F keys, then I moved onto flying my ship through some wreckage that I found on the map. Ended up only getting about 50 minutes of practice in before having to go to work.

Came home from work and decided I would go for engineer in my first real match, but fate didn't have it go that way. Literally nobody on blue team wanted to pilot a ship and they were jumping into engineer and gunner slots, so I was forced to pilot my own ship if I wanted to play. Worse still, the first map it threw me into was a 3v3 at Water Hazard . Luckily for me my crew did have mics and I believe it was my gunner had experience as a pilot and he was able to give me helpful tips about how I should angle my ship so I could have the most effective gun pattern lined up towards the enemy (silly me decided.my first ship should be a junker) and we ended up winning 5 matches in a row with a basic flak and chaingun junker. I apologized after the first match for any mistakes I may have made, but the guy said not to worry about it, and said that I had flown the ship as good as he would have.

If you need any help, even though Im fairly new, I am willing to teach you what I know if you decide to pilot a junker.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:03:25 am by Skippy The Moonrock »

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:04:15 am »
I'm a somewhat decent pilot and here is my usual thought process.

What ship will I be fighting? What ship is most likely to be the biggest threat at which range? How can I neutralize each ships unique range advantages?

Face charging a spire that is using a lumberjack and a merc field gun is probably a bad idea. Trying to get in tight on the spire is your best option. Don't do it by flying in a straight line though. 

Put yourself in the enemy gunners position. How can you make it harder for him to use his weapons?

Basically as a captain you need to have a million variables swimming in your brain and develop an instinct as to when attack or retreat is best. Timing enemy reloads, understanding turning arcs, knowing what weapons are effective against what components, and keeping yourself in position to exploit one of these variables the second you see it.

A simple example is a full hwacha galleon, if the enemy pilot is any good he will get a couple salvos off while you are trying to close. How can you minimize the damage? Simple answer, Take the shots on your balloon. Now how do you achieve this? Easiest way? the second you see a hwacha's first round leave its gun chute vent down and the projectiles will either clip the balloon or pass over the top. This is a very singular "trick" and a good gunner will pick up on it so you have to change the tactic the next time you see the guy. Perhaps a false directional shift? Point your nose right but slam in reverse the gunner leads you but wait you were retreating and his shots pass in front harmlessly. There are a million little "tricks" like this to defeat any gun.

That is why I love piloting, the infinite variation of tactic and counter tactic. As the pilot you have to pay attention to everything on an opposing ship. What guns are firing, what systems are down, what the enemies engineers are most likely trying to fix, and how you can use this information.

Also feel free to add me in game I'm on alot and am always willing to help people who will listen and ask questions.