Author Topic: When you have a hammer, all problems look like a nail... to AI.  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
I was testing a few things in practice when I noticed something. The AI engineers only use a mallet to repair, regardless of actual damage. Flick claw on for a fraction of a second, doing an amount of damage so small it does not even show up on the bar, and [AI] Jesus come flying in to save the day with an epic 9 second cooldown.

I don't know if they are just not programmed to ever use a spanner, or it is bugged, but this tends to be severely handicapping. My suggestions are to fix the issue so the AI uses a spanner for minor damage, or (if they simply must always use a mallet) wait for damage to be sufficient enough to use at least 50% of a mallet hit and wait a few seconds to repair something with minor damage so a player has a chance to get there first.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: When you have a hammer, all problems look like a nail... to AI.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:22:05 am »
This might just be me, but I do believe MUSE makes the AI as incompetent as possible so you are forced to go teamwork overload.
(Why is the AI unloading my ammunition the very second I leave my gun to buff something?)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:53:54 am »
Yet it is hilarious that there are a lot of players which make the AI look good...or otherwise known as...my block list! :D

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:10:48 pm »
Try setting things on fire. The AI's will just lose their mind. They're also trigger happy. As soon as they get on a gun and someone is almost in arc, they'll start firing. I've seen AI try to empty entire clips into an enemy that was above their firing arc. Other times they'll jump on the gun and start shooting immediately, while turning the gun to the target, wasting half the clip. They also seem to enjoy loading heavy clip into the gatling. I'm not sure what ammo they load into other guns, but heavy clip stopped being useful in the gatling gun many many moons ago.

But yeah, they could definitely get some priority adjustments when picking what tools to use when. Nothing makes my engineers angrier than an AI showing up and messing up their cooldowns. Of course the AI will never be as good as a human player, since they're entirely reactive, where human players can predict damage to certain components and plan accordingly.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:35:00 pm »
Not to get too far off topic but why did people suddenly  decide heavy clip is not useful in the gatling anymore? If you're going for range, it gives you the same amount of damage yet more shots in a clip compared to lesmok, which does give you the little bit of extra range but not the accuracy.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 06:38:34 pm »
Not to get too far off topic but why did people suddenly  decide heavy clip is not useful in the gatling anymore? If you're going for range, it gives you the same amount of damage yet more shots in a clip compared to lesmok, which does give you the little bit of extra range but not the accuracy.

Nobody said lesmok is useful either.

(as you said though, off-topic)

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 06:48:31 pm »

Well aside from forum theories, the majority of players in-game say to use lesmok in the gatling gun for range now. Ever since the gat was changed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:52:06 pm by Dutch Vanya »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »

Well aside from forum theories, the majority of players in-game say to use lesmok in the gatling gun for range now. Ever since the gat was changed.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???  Son, you don't use lesmok gattling for range, you use a hades and if all ya got is a gattling then you best take that gun into closer range.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 09:08:45 pm »
You never go full lesmok (for gatling).

Heavy is decent, but generally with gat you're going to want to be in greased/incind range.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:01 pm »
Well i'm glad you guys agree with me. I've been arguing against it for a while.

(Thread fully derailed now)

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 09:44:46 pm »
Heavy is situational. I ussualy take heavy for gatling as main hull engineer on pyra, if gat is on nuber 3 slot (lesser control on the range of engagement on side guns ussualy so increased eficciency near gat max range is appreciated. Heavy is also bgest for "killing" specitic components - lit for example that pesky hawacha on the goldfish in front of you.

As for AI: Muse is very preased for AI in CO-OP mode, so hopefuly some of it will get into skirmish mode as well.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 01:53:42 am »
They said it would. Once AI director is ready to go we should see it in skirmish too.

Then it will forever solidify the call of..."Get off my ship you filthy powder monkey! I'd rather have AI!!"

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 10:43:05 am »
You guys notice that a AI gunner will use heavy clip in the gatling gun?