Author Topic: Airships = Warship, High Altitude Blimp = Submarine?  (Read 21436 times)

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
Re: Airships = Warship, High Altitude Blimp = Submarine?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 04:29:52 am »
Helium nor Hydrogen is physically able to lift any of the designs of these vessels.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 05:00:52 am »
Helium nor Hydrogen is physically able to lift any of the designs of these vessels.

... Most of these designs aren't logical to begin with. After all, what idiot would make the HULL of a ship also the balloon? As proven when you play the Mobula, the entire design is just illogical. Near impossible to repair without insane levels of coordination (or dedicated people sitting right there and never moving, thus giving the ship NO engineers for anything else, since it still only has a crew of 4 but needs a crew of like 5 or 6), and really easy to break (since 90% of what breaks either the balloon or the hull takes the other one with it). And let's not even mention the Spire (really? what dumbass thought THAT was a good idea? the balloon can't possibly be large enough to even lift that thing).

Based on that, Unobtainium is probably what's filling the balloons.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 05:43:52 am »
logical design or not, the numbers itself speak for that. Pyramidion has a mass of 200t. That's roughly as much as the Hindenburg had when boarded. Wiki tells me it had a balloon volume of 200.000 m³ to hold that.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 07:30:47 am »
I don't think any of the weights are accurate. None of the ships look the mass they are listed to be.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 10:42:16 pm »
In real life a single rocket would cause irreversible damage to balloon; sending the lopsided airship crashing to the ground at 32ft per second. In real life a carronade shot would splatter the entire crew turning them to a slush of brains, guts, blood, eyeballs, hair, skin and many other things on the deck. In real life you can't fix an engine by smacking it with a rubber mallet %99.99 of the time.

In real life a Gatling gun would easily and quickly shred every component of the ship including the crew and the rounds would not just disappear at only 700 meters, believe me. In real life you wouldn't reappear safely back aboard a ship after jumping off of it to your death.

"This also means we cannot turn the game to become realistic.  It's too late for that.  Under the hood, nothing was designed with realism in mind.  Again, it's a verisimilitude.  We only appear to be realistic, to have only a semblance of realism.  We'll add in things like accurate sights (the Lumberjack, thanks to those who mailed us a real weapons sight) or how a bullet should drop after long distances (e.g. Field Gun, but all our projectile physics), but it's not our aim to completely dive into realism at the sake of what I and the others on the team believe is 'fun' in this game.  Again, it's also just too late for that :P" ~ awkm from Muse Games - https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php?topic=572.0

What are you points guys? Let's pretend this is a game real quick and you can tell me about my stealth bomber suggestion for Adventure Mode  and how you think it would work and if it would be for players or NPCs.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 11:29:19 pm »
In real life a single rocket would cause irreversible damage to balloon; sending the lopsided airship crashing to the ground at 32ft per second. In real life a carronade shot would splatter the entire crew turning them to a slush of brains, guts, blood, eyeballs, hair, skin and many other things on the deck. In real life you can't fix an engine by smacking it with a rubber mallet %99.99 of the time.

In real life a Gatling gun would easily and quickly shred every component of the ship including the crew and the rounds would not just disappear at only 700 meters, believe me. In real life you wouldn't reappear safely back aboard a ship after jumping off of it to your death.

"This also means we cannot turn the game to become realistic.  It's too late for that.  Under the hood, nothing was designed with realism in mind.  Again, it's a verisimilitude.  We only appear to be realistic, to have only a semblance of realism.  We'll add in things like accurate sights (the Lumberjack, thanks to those who mailed us a real weapons sight) or how a bullet should drop after long distances (e.g. Field Gun, but all our projectile physics), but it's not our aim to completely dive into realism at the sake of what I and the others on the team believe is 'fun' in this game.  Again, it's also just too late for that :P" ~ awkm from Muse Games - https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php?topic=572.0

What are you points guys? Let's pretend this is a game real quick and you can tell me about my stealth bomber suggestion for Adventure Mode  and how you think it would work and if it would be for players or NPCs.
You should have posted this in Gilder's realism thread.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »
It would likely have to be a very small part of the game. A large high flying stealth bomber would require your ship to fly very high, and be stealthy. This essentially means going through the nice open air without obstacles or enemies. This is pretty boring by itself, and shouldn't be a large part of any mission. Then you have to drop your payload, giving away your presence. At this point it's either mission complete (boring) or you need to fend off some ships as you make your escape.

Let's say it's large and slow moving. It would essentially turn into a turret game where players run to different guns to shoot the smaller ships that are attacking them (Original Guns of Icarus). Maybe it has some small ships of it's own that it releases and some dog-fighting ensues? That would have to be a whole new mechanic, but it is adventure mode, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Maybe. And then that's it I guess. Maybe you'd have other team ships on the outskirts that would have to rush to your rescue, or even enemy ships that would come in to destroy you. Kind of like a 'protect the king' type of gameplay. This would be pretty interesting.

However, to me at least, the stealth part seems fairly boring. Just floating through the sky. Maybe try to dodge some spotlights in the night?

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 07:36:22 pm »
It would likely have to be a very small part of the game. A large high flying stealth bomber would require your ship to fly very high, and be stealthy. This essentially means going through the nice open air without obstacles or enemies. This is pretty boring by itself, and shouldn't be a large part of any mission. Then you have to drop your payload, giving away your presence. At this point it's either mission complete (boring) or you need to fend off some ships as you make your escape.

Let's say it's large and slow moving. It would essentially turn into a turret game where players run to different guns to shoot the smaller ships that are attacking them (Original Guns of Icarus). Maybe it has some small ships of it's own that it releases and some dog-fighting ensues? That would have to be a whole new mechanic, but it is adventure mode, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Maybe. And then that's it I guess. Maybe you'd have other team ships on the outskirts that would have to rush to your rescue, or even enemy ships that would come in to destroy you. Kind of like a 'protect the king' type of gameplay. This would be pretty interesting.

However, to me at least, the stealth part seems fairly boring. Just floating through the sky. Maybe try to dodge some spotlights in the night?

Good comment Thomas, that was very thorough; you get a salute for that one. The stealth part was only mentioned because I was attempting to establish a connection between submarines which are stealthy by nature and stealth bombers in the sky. Truth is the ship would probably work as a regular bomber but in an airship fashion.

It all started from me seeing all airship fighters and no bombers and thinking of ways bombers could be implemented into the game.